seized engine!!!

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atomik boy

Reaction score
hey guys!
guess what happened yesterday?
my engine seized!!!
ok so i was in 4th gear going along the road heading home and it started buzzing...
revs died and then went up then it stalled!
had 2 call for help and now the kick starter wont budge!
pretty sure its seized!
i let all the oil out (barely any) and filled it up with castrol 4t activ,
what do i have to do to get it going???
plz help! (wanna get 2 archy on the 8th!!!!!!!!!!)
thanks
james
:iamwithstupid:

so barley any oil came out when you drained it, your supposed to keep oil topped up at all times, if its seized its pull down time to asses the damage

You need to take the stator cover off and get a 14mm socket and just turn
it over. That's what I done to my old one.

What TYD said... If you're lucky* you might find that it isn't actually seized and something else has gone awry :)

In the case that it turns normally from the flywheel you'll need to drain the oil again and start at the other side of the engine. Now is when you post as much information as possible... Do you know the engine model? If not, what gear pattern (eg, N1234), is it start in any gear, are there any markings you think will help people out... etc.

If it won't turn at the flywheel (or makes interesting sounds), it's time for a rebuild...

Good luck!

* Although I guess it depends on what the "something else" is...

Another thing to check is that the cam chain hasn't slipped off the cog. Will show the exact same symptons as a seize. Can be checked quickly too and is a much easier fix.

As Roost said, if there wasn't much oil in it then it probably won't be a good result.

so barley any oil came out when you drained it, your supposed to keep oil topped up at all times, if its seized its pull down time to asses the damage
You need to take the stator cover off and get a 14mm socket and just turn
it over. That's what I done to my old one.
ok thanks for the sugestion etc guys!

What TYD said... If you're lucky* you might find that it isn't actually seized and something else has gone awry :)

In the case that it turns normally from the flywheel you'll need to drain the oil again and start at the other side of the engine. Now is when you post as much information as possible... Do you know the engine model? If not, what gear pattern (eg, N1234), is it start in any gear, are there any markings you think will help people out... etc.

If it won't turn at the flywheel (or makes interesting sounds), it's time for a rebuild...

Good luck!

* Although I guess it depends on what the "something else" is...
ok
its a non start in gear
its a n1234
its a ducar 124 (125)
anything else?

Another thing to check is that the cam chain hasn't slipped off the cog. Will show the exact same symptons as a seize. Can be checked quickly too and is a much easier fix.

As Roost said, if there wasn't much oil in it then it probably won't be a good result.
aaaaah that might just be the problem too!
thanks for suggesting that mate!
and when you say not a good result then what is the result gonna be do u think? :(

thanks heaps for the info guys!
ill kepp you all updated and stuff!
if u think u know what might have happened please suggest it!
thanks guys,
james
:iamwithstupid:
p.s.
plus reps for all of u guys! :)

Check what I said first mate and cross your fingers. Just take the side cover off and you can tell in 2 secs. I had it happen to me once when I crashed into an enbankment. haha. Force knocked it off. Apparently doesn't take much on a yx140.

When I say bad I mean could just be a top end rebuild. But then it could be a bottom end that has gone or you have smashed your valves into the top of the piston.

EDIT: Can you please drop you signiture size? It's half a page almost!!

Check what I said first mate and cross your fingers. Just take the side cover off and you can tell in 2 secs. I had it happen to me once when I crashed into an enbankment. haha. Force knocked it off. Apparently doesn't take much on a yx140.

When I say bad I mean could just be a top end rebuild. But then it could be a bottom end that has gone or you have smashed your valves into the top of the piston.

EDIT: Can you please drop you signiture size? It's half a page almost!!
ok um what would be a guess for a price for the top and bottom end rebuild?
and about the signature...
not gonna happen!
hahaha joking sure thing mate!

ok um what would be a guess for a price for the top and bottom end rebuild?
and about the signature...
not gonna happen!
hahaha joking sure thing mate!

better off just buying a new complete engine, it wouldn't be worth paying someone to fix it for you as by the time you pay for labor and parts it would equal about the same as a new engine

Depending on what you need to do... A piston and rings kit could set you back as little as $30 :)

That said, it's best to check the basics that have been suggested and try to narrow down what the problem could be. If you've done serious bottom end damage, or even badly scored you barrel, you might be better off in the long run buying a replacement engine.

Hopefully it's a simple fix, but if it isn't, think of it as a chance to upgrade ;)

** Beat me to it Roost :p

better off just buying a new complete engine, it wouldn't be worth paying someone to fix it for you as by the time you pay for labor and parts it would equal about the same as a new engine

Depending on what you need to do... A piston and rings kit could set you back as little as $30 :)

That said, it's best to check the basics that have been suggested and try to narrow down what the problem could be. If you've done serious bottom end damage, or even badly scored you barrel, you might be better off in the long run buying a replacement engine.

Hopefully it's a simple fix, but if it isn't, think of it as a chance to upgrade ;)

** Beat me to it Roost :p
aaaah crap!
hope its only minor damage coz i dont have the money to buy a new engine unless i get some good money for the pw80!
if i do end up getting a new engine...
will a 155z fit? :b_grind: *evil laugh*
or even a 175z? if i ever win the lotto! :lol_hitting:

aaaah crap!
hope its only minor damage coz i dont have the money to buy a new engine unless i get some good money for the pw80!
if i do end up getting a new engine...
will a 155z fit? :b_grind: *evil laugh*
or even a 175z? if i ever win the lotto! :lol_hitting:

I'm sure if it doesn't slip straight in you could make it fit :D

You should be able to get ~$1k for the pw80... 175 time? ;-)

put it in top gear , roll your bike back and forward without the clutch in . until it Free's up . if it doesn't .... well that's all i got. has worked for me a couple times .

put it in top gear , roll your bike back and forward without the clutch in . until it Free's up . if it doesn't .... well that's all i got. has worked for me a couple times .

If you do that and the cam chain ain't on properly you will shear all the teeth off the cog so be careful.

I'm sure if it doesn't slip straight in you could make it fit :D

You should be able to get ~$1k for the pw80... 175 time? ;-)
oh yeah! dont you know it is!
if i do get that sorta money for it first thing im doing is getting this: Z175 Engine

ok will try that but...

If you do that and the cam chain ain't on properly you will shear all the teeth off the cog so be careful.
... ill check motormans idea first just incase ;)

the exact same simptoms as you posted minus the low oil happened to my first china it turned out to be a siezed engine
after adding up a rebuild i found a whole new engine was a cheaper /safer option

so did you get this sorted or find out anything new??

also if your thinking of putting a 155 or 175 in that i highly reccomend you save more coin and get an upgrade bike like a dhz or something... or even an atomik 160 and do simple upgrades

yeah ok so i got up breakfast etc etc
go the garage ok ill see if motormans idea was it...
...nope not that...
tried woggys idea to get it unstuck...
...well that failed...
so i tried ty's idea...
yep worked a bloody treat! (thanks man!)
i tried to kick it and it made a squeeking noise so i dumped the oil again and put more in...
still squeeked a little bit but not as much...
still not running hmm must be the cold air (0 degree's or some thing)
come back later...
wheeled the bike onto the grass no squeeking but still not running...
oh look i see damage! (see attached image)
hmmm ok ill strip it and see if there's any internal damage...
so i took it off the frame and took off the side covers...
nothing (exept oil)...
so i started putting back together and i decided to leave it 4 tommorow so now i gotta put the pegs back on and bashplate and if she doesnt run then ill wait till my auncle david (david johanson) gets here on tuesday...
pics
dtail2.JPG

dtail.JPG

hey also has anyone on here ever heard of david johanson or raced with him?
he does enduro's (well untill he moved back 2 the phillipenes)
thanks
james

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back