Sin City, custom painted helmet.

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captain dust

Reaction score
Just thought i would post up a couple of small shots of a helmet that i just finished painting for a friend of mine. The helmet is painted up in the theme of the movie, Sin City. If you haven't seen the movie, go check it out, its a classic...

I've got some new plastics for my bike that im going to paint pretty soon too, not sure on what will go on them just yet though. I'll post some pics up once theyre done.

Grant.

Sorry i cant get the pics to embed in the post...

Sin2.jpg

Sin3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
your a talented dude, wouldn't mind something like that painted on my car!!

F*$# ME :eek: *looks twice* :rolleyes: Sweeeettt!!!!!!!!!

you have some serious talent
what are you talking about benox it's a great movie

Crap movie, good helmet

that comment just cancels itself out.. lol.. open your mind a little.. 300 is next
captain dust!??

What is the deal with painting helmets?!? as when the book is read it is said not to apply paint laqures etc onto the shell.. same goes for stickers etc on construction hats.. hats designed to shatter, but wont if stickers/painted..!?

this is just heresay of what iv heard and read.. would loe some exact confirmation!

Otherwise I Like your work!! :D

ya think!?? i rekon it was great, well drawn, and mind boggling. the helmet is a piece of art, shame to think it might get all scratched up n destroyed should the unlucky owner come a gutser!! but least it looks the bit now!

that comment just cancels itself out.. lol.. open your mind a little.. 300 is next
captain dust!??

What is the deal with painting helmets?!? as when the book is read it is said not to apply paint laqures etc onto the shell.. same goes for stickers etc on construction hats.. hats designed to shatter, but wont if stickers/painted..!?

this is just heresay of what iv heard and read.. would loe some exact confirmation!

Otherwise I Like your work!! :D

Well everyone's entitled to their opinion's on things, i really like the movie! I know a lot of people who didn't like it or understand it though also.

Funny you should mention "300", I'm thinking that im going to do my plastics for my own bike themed around that, could tie in very nicely with the number 300 going onto the plates too! And that movie is almost better than Sin City!

Painting a helmet doesnt damage it or anything like that, if it is done properley. There is a load of little things that have to be done to make sure its all ok. As long as the Australian standards sticker isn't damaged you have no problem racing with it etc. Ive done helmets for race car drivers and they have proper scrutineering done on helmets and i've never had any issues. The reason they say not to paint a helmet etc is really to cover the helmet manufacturer from a legal perspective as far as i understand.

Someone else asked if Airbrushing was my job, its not my full time job right now, i want it to be soon though! But i do have a regular job too and just do this stuff on the side for people etc.

Thanks for the kind words guys....

Grant.

Last edited:
You are right foolsp33d the cheaper helmets are made from a plastic called ABS (very hard and strong) but they begin to break down with the application of solvents. A decal probably wont hurt but if you tire of it and remove it with a solvent you will also have problems. None of these faults can bee seen but occour on the molleculer level affecting the behaviour of the helmet when needed for impact protection.

The helmet is tested to australian standards and the appliaction of paint (or stickers) voids this standard.

The concern is that if you were to modify (paint) a helmet (especially if you got paid to do it) and the owner cracks his head in a later accident his solicitor (or insurance company) may lay the blame for the cracked head on the modified helmet and come after you for damages.

By the way it looks sensational and you do have talent.

Last edited:
Sunlight and time also cause ABS to break down (something I know about from removing old ABS plastic parts from smashed cars) which is why it is recommended to repalce your helmet every couple of years regardless of if you have taken a hit or not.

also the inside of a helmet is foam and have you ever seen what happens when foam meets certain solvents like petrol etc? it dissolves into this slimy stuff.

Great Movie! young kids would never appreciate it!

off the chain pain job! Fully Props!

Buhh all bad ideas... LOL

what ya need is a Fear & loathing in Las Vegas style Helmet...

Yep Fear And Loathing = great movie .... But can't stop to talk about it here this is bat country!!!

Hmm, maybe you should just keep your helmet on display? Its that well painted it may even win a prize at a helmet show Lol. Just buy another helmet and keep that as your own piece of art!

Latest posts

Back