Sluttering and Dieing when throttle is opened.

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matty

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

My mate has an Atomik MotoX and we went for a ride and his bike started going all funny...Like when you open the throttle it splutters heaps and won't stop till you release the throttle again. We think it might be something to do with the carby or fuel, because we can still ride around with the throttle only slightly open.

So if anyone has any ideas on how to fix it we would appreciate it heaps, cos we wanna go for a ride on the weekend. lol.

Thanks,
Matty

Give the carbie a good cleanout, and i hope the bike isnt too much of a slutter :|

yep pittin is on it
carby jets in particular probably main jet bit of dirt in here
if not your valves are out but if it's still got compresion it wont be valves

If they were riding in the wet then water is the most likely culprit . Especially muddy water which allows fine dirt and grit to make its way thru the filter pores a lot easier ...

The filter position on pit bikes makes riding them thru puddles etc an act of stupidity ..... :p

Check that you don't have the choke still on when u are riding. Pull off the air filter and check which way the lever controls the choke, if that doesn't help check the jets like coolmodee01 said

ok thanks guys you really hepled us a lot. ill lets yas know how we go. thanks.

oh and in the title i mean spluttering* lol.

The simplest thing to try is to open the drain screw on the bottom of the carb but put the end of the drain hose into a glass jar first .... have the fuel tap turned on and shake the bike from side to side as you let fuel drain into the jar ..... then simply check the bottom of the jar for water or other crap ....

Water can sit in the bottom of the float bowl and allow the engine to start easily and run great at mild throttle settings but as soon as you open the throttle hard ........ as the engine tries to rev up , the increased suction of the main jet pulls the water up into the emulsion tube causing the spluttering and dying symptoms ........ when you back off .... the water drops back out and the engine runs great again ..... 'seen it hundreds of times ......

Also .... clean the filter first ....... most knuckleheads get water in their carby when they hose the bike down after a ride but are too lazy to remove the filter and seal the carb entrance with plastic and an elastic band or something else ...... the next time they start the bike they encounter all these "strange" and "unusual" symptoms that "mysteriously" have no logical explanation ...... :p

Water can also get in thru the top cable seal if its dislodged , damaged OR simply not there ......

thanks cactus, thats happened to me heaps lol. but we didnt think of doing that to his bike lol...thanks.

Lol hey matt. Just bring the bike 2 me and ill fix it 4 you :p
Or 4 brad either way lol. ill just kick it... always works :p
And if that doesnt work just do like every1 else has said- clean the carbie lol
Ashie

wile you in there cleaning that carb check you float level espesialy if it got the vm26 26mm mikuni they can get real bad for float level. by the sound of it it could just be low crank it up a calibrated feel and see how you go.

Latest posts

Back