spark plug thread broke off in head!!

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motophreak

Reaction score
Ok i just took apart my whole engine to check the gears, cleaned out the carby, cleaned up all the electrics and then put the whole thing back together and my bike still didn't spark. so i bought a new ngk spark plug and it did work in the plug just not in the head. So now thinking all i needed to do was take out the old spark plug and put in the new one, it did not work like i planned... The thread broke off in the head off the old spark plug..now im stuck with half a sparkplug in the head and half of it out...how can get it out?? i know i'll have to take off the head but i still have a problem.
pics..

you dont need to take off the head, just grab a screw driver or nail punch and a hammer and slowly tap it round to the left, it will slowly whined out, just go slow and steady, it doesn't take long

Hey mate had the exact same problem really freaked me out!!

What you need is a small flat head screw driver, Put it inside the thread and just twist it out. It will push off the spark resister inside the thread. You should use about a 4mm driver. Good luck (Y)

this is why you dont overtighten things

do it up finger tight and then 1/8th or a 1/4 of a turn with a spanner or socket

well i was taking it out not putting it in so i didn't over tighten it. it must have just been old and worn....anyways i got it out and its all good...i used your idea Sam and it worked (obviously) thanx

Did you try to remove it when the engine was still hot/warm?

That's usually what causes plugs to stick if over tightening wasn't the issue :)

Mine was a NGK and came in the engine the first time i took it out bang. Now i am super careful when im tightening them...

Finger tight then nip it up 1/8 th of a turn like PBK said ... also put a light coat of oil on the thread ...

Latest posts

Back