Spark plug wire sparking

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

domotox

Reaction score
Hi Guys
My KLX is feeling a little sluggish so I checked the spark plug and so on and notices that there is spark coming from the spark plug wire. I electrical taped the area to see if this would give it any relief but it seems that it still does it.
Could this just be fixed with replacing the coil and wire or could there be something else wrong with it.

Dom

you'll need a new coil wire or complete unit, electrical tape wont do much good with coil voltages

i have found that a few layers of duct tape will work, but this is just a bush mechanic fix, but yeah id change the lead or whole unit, you can even get a spark come thru the plug cap(if its a metal plug cap get rid of it mate)

Ok I have replaced the lead and it is still doing it. It has got me stuffed what is going on. The one I replaced it with has been checked on my other bike and it does not do it. It is only on the klx could there be a bad earth or ground wire somewhere doing this.

pull the plug out and put it in the plug cap, without earthing the plug out to check for spark hold the plug cap itself with out touching the plug and feel for a spark jumping from the cap to you, also then try earthing the plug out on the engine but position the plug so you can look down it as sometimes a plug will arc inside itself intermittantly especially under compression,, tried a new plug??

try adding a decent earth wire from a bare metal point on the frame, to a bare metal point on the motor.
use some grease on the bare metal to to stop corrosion etc.

when you checked the new plug lead on your bike, did you use a new plug too?
if not, the ceramic part of your spark plug may be cracked and letting the spark arch out to the motor.

Ok Cheers guys I have basically had the whole motor in bits. I have put it all back together again and the arc has gone but now when I start eh thing it will only run for a few seconds and die. I had the magneto cover off and vhecked the stator and the crank angle sensor and I think I may have done something wrong there. I think this is going to be one for a mechanic.
I can pull a motor down and rebuild it but when it comes to electrics I have no idea.

Latest posts

Back