sprocket set-up?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rydah

Reaction score
was just wondering wat sprocket set-up u guys have on your 125 pitbike & do u use a different set-up for diff use? ie

for track use i have X teeth front sprocket & X teeth rear
for road use i use X teeth front & XX teeth rear

Im using 17 front and a 37 rear for all round, running 10 inch rims and lifan 140 in my 50. To say the least it hauls! This setup wouldn't be real flash on a 125 as the accelaration would suffer.

On a 125 I would stick with a 16 front and 37-39 rear

It makes sense to run as big a sprocket as possible on the engine then adjust the ratio with various sized rear wheel sprockets ...

1) A large diameter counter-shaft sprocket lifts the chain higher off the swingarm which helps to minimise wear on the rubbing blocks and swingarm ...

2) Larger diameter sprockets have more teeth in contact with the chain rollers which reduces the load per tooth and the rate of tooth wear ...

3) There's less chance of the chain jumping off a larger diameter sprocket ...

where's the best place to get sprockets for pit bikes. I was struggling a bit because i wanted something a bit higher. I've got a 41 on the rear which is standard but i wanted to move up a few teeth because i do sweet FA top speed riding

Leave it in 3rd and simply don't go into 4th gear ... If you fit a smaller front sprocket you'd better keep that chain tensioned correctly , don't lean it over on the left to do donuts or slides and make sure you hit the kill switch if you ever crash and lay it over on the left side otherwise you'd better stock up on spare clutch covers and stator plates .... Ohhh ... and invest in a flywheel puller ... LOL ...

i was wondering what was the best sprocket setup for a pitsterpro with a gpx 125cc engine. atm im running a 16 front and 39 rear, but the top end is a bit slow.

Latest posts

Back