Standing up while riding?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilikemotorbikessoverymuch

Reaction score
I don't understand how people stand up and ride!? If I do and I accelerate I just feel like I i'm going to fall off the back of the bike, like the bike get's pulled out from under me.

Is this just because it's a mini or am I doing something wrong?

Cheers

stand up monos are harder, lean forward more it takes power to get it up while standing and be firm with your grip on your legs and using you knees to grip it..
start off with your ass on the seat then try and stand as you go

I'm not even talking about monos though. Even just riding on a straight smooth track the bike wants to get out from under me when I stand up. :/

i have always stood up whilst riding, when i blip the throttle out of corners, i am standing up. leaning foward helps alot, allow the bike to push u back slightly, but try and maintain a central gravity point on the bike.

The other thing is boots, I had a brand new pair of Thor boots for years and never worn them when riding because I can't change gear properly in them. When I try and change down with boots I have to lift my whole foot up off the foot peg, shift down and then lift my foot up again to put it back on the peg.

lol im reading everything wrong this week :p
You should have your head over the bars, arms bend a little bit and if your legs fold while riding like that, time for a bigger bike..

thats why i ride pitties other than the lxr sitting down most of the time because i cant stay up without my legs buckling all the time (6'' somthing)

Yeah its harder to stand up riding a minbike as apose to bigbike. Minibikes are alot shorter wheel base so your balance has to stay alot better. As lean back to far teg to fall off back, lean to far forward and go over front.

- So when to stand up on bike have ferm grip with legs , knees bent a little , elbos up , chin over cross brace on handle bars. look ahead!
Tip i got told as young fella. was to sit bike on center stand, And practice standing up on bike that way! . rock bike forward n back.
Its all pratice realy :)

how high are your bars now ?
would a set of higher risers help ?
or maybe some high rise bars...

boots are ok when riding, i usually wear my O'neal MX boots
it's easy to adjust your gear lever to suit your boots.
just take your gear lever off, move it up a couple of splines and refit the bolt

some of the shorty boots are good too, they aren't quite as bulky around the toes

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=shorty+boots+mx&rt=nc&LH_PrefLoc=2

Last edited:
The other thing is boots, I had a brand new pair of Thor boots for years and never worn them when riding because I can't change gear properly in them. When I try and change down with boots I have to lift my whole foot up off the foot peg, shift down and then lift my foot up again to put it back on the peg.

Wear abouts have you got your gear lever setup?
Sounds to me like may have gear lever up to high!!. there for have to left foot right up to change down gears.
Gear lever needs to be level with top of foot peg! So if had school ruler be level from gear lever back to foot peg.

Is harder with mx boots on anyway!, But much safer wearing boots. No fun being off bike on crutcher's coz wasnt wearing boots

Adjusted my lever about an hour ago for boots rather than shoes (about level with foot peg) and it is difficult riding with them but I think I might get used to it...eventually!

I already have high raise bars (BMX style)

120527 (1).JPG

Last edited:
your lever still looks very low to me.
i have mine sitting like this, about 10-15mm higher than the pedal

i haVe always had my gear leaver sitting about 10 mm up from my footpeg, i sometimes change gear whilst standing up though.

So when you wide with boots you have to sit in the same position everytime on the seat. Because the more forward you sit the lower the lever needs to be and vice verse.

Mine sits wayy down low.. on the tard setup.. when most of the time your head is over the bars or close to it
same with the levers too on the roady too but its because im too big for both of them lol

attachment.php
blablablapitbike

i used to stand up alot on my lxr but i stopped riding pitbikes when i went onto the 250F. so not so much anymore.
i always stand up on the 250f and with the lxr depends on what track it is. nunawading think i stand up a fair bit but that track had alot of jumps. same with broadmeadows main track.
with my motovert with 12/10 wheels i can stand up and ride pretty easily over the jumps and whoops.

Can't see that pic zwebx...

Am I right though, you pretty much have to sit in the same position on the seat when riding with boots?

Yep, CRF50 style. If you set your gear lever to where is good when your sitting near he front of the seat, it is impossible to get the boot under the lever when you're sitting further back on the seat or standing up...

Latest posts

Back