Start up Problems

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah change the fuel, fuel usually keeps for about a week i think.
how about a new spark plug and coil?

i have put in a new spark plug.. still nothing
i kicked it slowley and the spark was faint..
im not sure if that was because i was kicking it slow or because the coil is stuffed.

After three weeks the fuel should still be fine... just have a wiff and if it smells like varnish then its bad. Do you have access to another coil? This could be you problem... Have you done the choke mod? I see you're in Melbourne and in a cold place without a choke could make starting difficult. But before testing either of these things i would check that you timing is set correctly. Also, try starting it without the air filter on. How old is the bike? what did the valves look like when you had the head off? Clean the carby. Check you wiring.

Thats about all i can think of at the moment which could cause hard starting... If none of these are the cause perhaps you could buy a can of Aerostart or Start Ya Bastard and see if that makes starting easy.

thanks for your thought man ^_^
fuel smells alright to me.
i dont have a spare coil.. can i use a coil off a 125cc and put it on my 250cc?
carby is clean and fine
tryed withough the air filter,, nothing
the bike is 1 year old
the valves lookd fine when i took the head off. they needed adjusting which i done.
Going to give the timing chain a adjusting tomorrow.

I'm not sure about the coil to be honest... You can try the 125 coil, trying it out won't cause any damage. Have you checked for fuel flow from the tank? and the fuel Filter? Remove the spark plug and pour a small amount of petrol into the chamber then try to start it. Im running out of ideas... Does it make any weird noises? Is it hard or easy to kick start?
Did you do anything special to the bike the night before you went riding? Did you leave it outside?

I'm all out for now lol... anyone else got ideas?

Last edited:
your helping me much more then you think mate
the bike dont make any weird noises.
the fuel is going through smoothly.

I had a problem with the compression so i changed the posion, and now the compression is better then ever.
it sounds like it wants to start, it will start for a split second then just die.
the only thing i can think of is the timing chain..

And do you know if there is a thead on miniriders on how to adjust your timing chain xD
im 90% sure on how to do it,, just want to make sure i got it right

yeah give it a shot tomorrow, you seen any threads on how to do it?

Yeah but i don't know a link. Basically, remove the small chrome flat blade screwdrive plug type thing on the top of the flywheel cover and you cam sprocket cover. Then there will be a dot or indent type thing on the cam sprocket and a mark on the flywheel labelled with a T you will have to rotate your flywheel until you see it. the dot on the cam sproket must be at 9 oclock while the T on the flywheel is at 12 oclock.

you kidding me! i got my flywheel at 9 oclock and the cam sprocket at 12 oclock, got them the other way around..

Thanks for the help man, your a life saver, ill get back to you tomorrow with the results

could be your magneto? thats what happend to me.. i had replaced the CDI, Coil, Spark Plug and still not start.. so i get new Magneto and all good. But was when i had the Ducar motor now with my lifan it always starts straight away.

But because you can start rolling down hill mabe not.. But if u havnt tried getting a new coil that might be it.

Last edited:
:: Updatde ::
Poulsen8r i did what you said, put the fly wheel 12 oclock and the cam sprocket 9 oclock.
and wouldnt you know it,,, it still wont start. and now the kick starter gets stuck every second kick.
what the hell is going on with this engine!

Latest posts

Back