Stock 50 bogging down

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

My1st50

Reaction score
G'day ya'll, i fitted a Uni-Filter to my bog stock carb and motor. It now bogs down when wide open on the throttle, my mech says there isnt anything he can do and advises me to re fit the stock filter to fix the problem. Do any of you mini-riders genuineness have a solution that my mechanic may not know about? Cheers ;)

If you put a Uni filter on it will be running lean from the stock filter.

Should be able to just adjust the richness slightly and away you go.

The stock filters are junk and restrict the bike so you definitely want to keep the uni.

Silly question how do i adjust the richness... Ive always had mechanics work on all my bikes lol spoke to 2 mechs and they both said just put the stock filter back on, but i really dont want to :)
P.S im not using the original throttle cable etc, i bought the TBR handle bar kit and it came with a new throttle and cable

so your mechanic doesn't know how to tune a carby ?

it needs to be re-jetted to suit your combination.
is the new air filter oiled?

i would take the slide out and remove the needle, the clip should be in the middle notch.
if it is, take it up to the top notch and see if it improves

let us know

the mixture screw is the small one, turning it in will richen the idle
the idle speed screw is the one with the spring on it, central with the carby slide

I sent it in to be re jetted but for some reason he advised against it. Yep filter oiled, Im used to that job from the MX bikes. I'll pull her apart after work and check it out. Thanks

So i am on the right track with this after hours of reading, Maybe i need a new mechanic and or learn to do this **** myself

Give the richness a go first before you start messing around with rejetting the carb.

On these little motors and bit of a tweak should do the trick.

ok, got the bike at work now. adjusting the screws makes a little bit of a difference, but i turned the choke on halfway. Idle stayed the same but i could then go from idle to throttle wide open and it was perfect?.... Choke all the way off and it boggs down again.

yeah, you are better off learning how to DIY,
that way if you have any problems you can sort it yourself when out riding etc.

Adjusting the screw made it idle a lot higher also
which way made the idle higher ?

here's a basic how to set mixtures-

start the bike up and let it run for a minute or so,
turn the idle speed screw (centre screw w/spring) inwards to raise the idle speed a bit, up to somewhere 1800 rpm, not too high

now the mixture screw can be adjusted.
turn the screw out a quarter of a turn.
listen to the engine carefully,
if the rpms drop, then the mixture screw needs to be turned back in 1/4 of a turn.
the rpms should increase to what they were,
now try tuning the mixture screw in another 1/4 of a turn
if the rpms increase again, then try another 1/4 of a turn in.
if at any stage the rpms drop, or it starts running funny, then turn the mixture screw back out a 1/4 of a turn

adjust the mixture screw, until the engine is revving at it's highest/smoothest point
when you are happy it is close to perfect, then you can unscrew the idle speed screw (with the big spring) until the rpms drop back down to a decent idle speed.

look at the orientation of the slot/head of the mixture screw,
turn it back in, and do it up until it bottoms out.
take note of how many turns out it was set at. eg 1.75 turns out
(this can also tell you if you need to swap the Pilot Jet for one bigger or smaller)
now reset the screw back to where it was again, like the example above, 1.75 turns out

now take the bike for a quick test run and note any changes.
the mixture screw can still be tweeked from there too, just go 1/8 - 1/16 turn at a time though.

you probably want to do a Spark Plug chop reading too if you can
this will show you how close your Main Jetting is,

fit a Brand New Spark Plug
then find a decent long stretch, with a slight incline to load it up a little.
get the bike into top gear and hold it pinned for 10 seconds,
then let the throttle go, turn it off, and pull the bike up.
now remove the plug and check out the colour of the Insulator and Tip inside the Spark plug.
eg Black sooty plug = Main jet too big, White plug = Main too small
you want a tan-ish tinge to it, for it to be running sweet.

see how it runs like that, and post up your results

ok, got the bike at work now. adjusting the screws makes a little bit of a difference, but i turned the choke on halfway. Idle stayed the same but i could then go from idle to throttle wide open and it was perfect?.... Choke all the way off and it boggs down again.
Pull your carby off (not a long job..) undo the two bolts that hold the carby on pull the fuel line off (make sure the fuel tap is in the off position) drop the carby a little, undo the top cap and pull your slide out (dont worry nothing to loose here) let the slide hang there and keep it clean..
undo the carby bowl bolts (four Phillips screws) then pull the main jet out and read what # number it is that is your jet size buy a jet kit or just go up a couple of numbers untill the bike runs better.. if it does not idle well then do the same with the idle jet (smaller jet closer to the front of the carby)

Then do a plug reading (can get to that when you do the jets)

simple stuff really also with the uni filter make sure that you oil it with air filter oil

sounds like you could fit a bigger pilot jet, 1 or 2 sizes bigger will help
with the unifilter on it, it can suck more air, so it will run a bit leaner off idle.
the Pilot Jet supplys the fuel for idle to 1/4 throttle.

ooooooooook! Being a rider for so many years and never touching the mechs of my bikes today i learnt some ****. Finally found the fuel screw, it not really a screw, i had to use tweezers to adjust it. a couple of beers i got a grip on how this works and its almost perfect! a re-jet will def make it 100% My needle isnt adjustable at all.... Thanks for ur helps fellas as it seems my mechanic didnt really wanna help me :(

good work.

i just did some reading up on the CRF50 carby
the idle mixture screw on the later model carbs uses a special Honda tool
but if you can unwind it and take it out,
then you can cut a slot in the head, to make it easier to adjust next time.

and i read that the Pilot jet is a pressed into the carby too.
if you need to take it out then you'll need to wiggle it out with some pliers, being carefull not to crush the tube.
then carfully tap it back in again when it is clean

if you ever have the carby off the bike again,
blow some carby cleaner through the small port (at 7 o'clock) on the air filter side
this goes through to the Pilot jet, and they can block up and will cause the hesitation off idle to 1/4 throttle

So my mech is Kinda right, being an 07 the carby doesnt really do much at all. I've learnt a fair bit today which has been great. I'll upgrade carbs eventually but wont be till i go big bore

Latest posts

Back