stripped spark plug thread

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tricky1961

Reaction score
hi my son just picked up a 140cc bike for next to nothing as it wasent running, we soon found the reason was it didn't have a spark plug cause the previous owner had striped the spark plug thread in the head, my question is can you get some sort of repair kit like a helicoil ect with the head in place or dose the head have to com off it to repair it or do we have to to replace the head thanks richy

so you will have to pull the head off... due to if you decide to recut the thread you would get swarf and debris in the barrel.... it may need a new head depending on how bad the thread is stripped... but thats in a case where the whole is too big for the tap to recut the thread (rare case)...
could you chuck a pic up? :)
cheers loco!

I did this to a bike a long time ago and end up taking the bike apart, parting it out and keeping some. I didn't have a forum like this for ideas though or ebay lol. Good luck

so how bad is it stripped ?
i have made a tap out of an old spark plug to help correct crossed threads

you can get a helicoil for them, M10 x 1mm, but not a lot of places keep them in stock
they are long enough to do the whole thread length but may get you out of trouble
Helicoil Type Thread Repair KIT M10 X 1 00mm | eBay

and you can also get these from a few Fasteners shops/bearing shops too,

Good idea with the spark plug....mind you that pitpro motor was looking a little cross threaded. May need a helicoil not sure let me know if it does I'll grab one tomorrow or wednesday!

Latest posts

Back