Stripped thread in triple clamp - solution?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

middleway

Reaction score
Hi

Bought myself an atomic bigfoot with a 140 lifan. I pulled it to bits planning on putting the lifan into a postie but for various reasons didn't go ahead with it.
Anyway, its all back together now but 3 of the 8 threads in the triple clamp are stripped. Really soft metal, I can see why they are so cheap.
What should I do? I am new to pit bikes, seems like there is little point in spending money getting it professionally rethreaded, if the rest of the bike is going to fall apart within a few rides.. is there a dodgey solution? Bit metal screws or something to cut a new thread into the clamp with a big dose of loctite?

Also, just how quickly can I expect it to fall apart? The motors outlast the rest of the bikes by a large margin right? Just weighing up pros and cons. I have put in good quality engine oil and loctited everything on the bike, anything else I should do before taking it away for the weekend? Spares etc?
Cheers

you can either get the threads helicoiled or get new clamps for around $80.

the bike will last as long as you let it last...
look after it and it will look after you..
which means before every ride go over all the bolts and keep up the maintenance..

the bike shouldnt fall apart unless your are either ruff with it or it has a manufacturing defect in welds and things

ya mate helicoil will fix ya problem in no time, really simple to use and only takes about 10min.

Any good auto or engineering shop should have them

I have a pair of red cnc Triple clamps sitting in the shed .. if they would serve you i would let them go for cheap.

Thanks guys, I will see how much getting it helicoiled will set me back. How much do you want for the clamps Wogtaz?

$ 25 posted .
You will need to press in the old steering stem tho. it doesnt have one.

Just another option instead of helicoils is KEYSERT made by recoil i think, i have found helicoils oftern unwind the next time u take the bolt out, the keysert is much stronger and will never pop out no matter how many times u undo and replace the bolts, its similar to a helicoil except it has 4 pins on it that u hammer in after inserting it into the hole. in saying that, they are a lil bit more expensive.

tap new threads. Simple to do. and Once you buy a tap and dye set, it will last forever.

Latest posts

Back