Takegawa or TB kit

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nick150

Reaction score
I'm planning to upgrade my bike with a new engine. I'm having trouble deciding on the TB kit (Classic Honda 50's Australia - TB 184cc Bore Kit, Race Head V2 and 28mm Carb Kit - GPX-YX160 [TBW9040]) or the Takegawa kit (Takegawa 178 SCUT BBK and +R Super Head). If i was to go with the tb kit i would have to buy a yx160 and if i chose the takegawa kit i would have to buy a gpx150. I've heard people saying on planet minis that the +R super head wears out easily and if i went with the takegawa kit i would also have to buy a new intake and carb. The TB kit is cheaper and includes the intake and performance carb. I'm willing to spend the extra money for the takegawa kit but i want to know if it's worth it and what advantages does it have over the TB kit.

Thanks

I'm planning to upgrade my bike with a new engine. I'm having trouble deciding on the TB kit (Classic Honda 50's Australia - TB 184cc Bore Kit, Race Head V2 and 28mm Carb Kit - GPX-YX160 [TBW9040]) or the Takegawa kit (Takegawa 178 SCUT BBK and +R Super Head). If i was to go with the tb kit i would have to buy a yx160 and if i chose the takegawa kit i would have to buy a gpx150. I've heard people saying on planet minis that the +R super head wears out easily and if i went with the takegawa kit i would also have to buy a new intake and carb. The TB kit is cheaper and includes the intake and performance carb. I'm willing to spend the extra money for the takegawa kit but i want to know if it's worth it and what advantages does it have over the TB kit.

Thanks

i think the takegawa kit is better but its worth alot of money and i have seen mike reefman at wonthaggi lost the front end or something and he had the tb kit on his lxr and it was his 2nd one or something thats what buzz bikes said

i think the takegawa kit is better but its worth alot of money and i have seen mike reefman at wonthaggi lost the front end or something and he had the tb kit on his lxr and it was his 2nd one or something thats what buzz bikes said

motovert24, What does a BBK have to do with loosing the front end :confused:

ok well i've decided i'm going to go with the takegawa kit. It says that you have to use it with gpx150 or can you use a yx160 and bore the cases? What size/brand carb should i get and what size intake? Also sean01 can you give me the link for the decomp cam kit. Is the cam kit your talking about automatic or is it lever type.

i dont think the tak kit will work on the yx 160 it has a longer stroke than the 150yx. the yx 160 and 150 use the same bore

Ahhk also would the tak kit work with just an oil cooler that comes standard on a stock engine or would you need a high end oil cooler?

should work with any cooler as long as you plumb it right..

EDIT. yx's are case fed so should have no probs

Last edited:
what brand/size carb and what size intake do u reckon i should run?

if ya gonna spend the cash on the tak kit id go with a mikuni tm28mm or 28mm keihin pwk and id run the new tb rear facing intake for klx head..

would this carb kit be good for my engine: Ahp Minis the only reason im opting for that carb kit over the keihin is because i can't find an intake that will fit the kehin pwk 28mm. Does anybody have a link to an intake that would match the keihin?

thanks

im pretty sure the manifold has the wrong angle on it...

wat are you looking for...a carb kit for a 150/160 with standard style head?

all you need is the carb and manifold adapter and air cleaner

Ahp Minis

not sure if this manifold is yx compatible, but if your buying an engine then use the one that comes with it

DHZ Mini Moto - OKO 28MM FlatSlide Carby Kit 1/8 Throttle 160cc

the tb rear facing manifold only works on klx port heads (taky,v2 and stock) so it will work on the takegawa head.

the tb manifold is sweet it allows the carb to sit level oppose to other rear facing manifold's where the carb always leans down

i dont think the it will be port matched to the V2 head .

i would go the tb 184 V2 with rear facing manifold

i've seen 3 tb head punch valves through the piston due to float

but at 184cc there's not a g/box that will hold up to the hp and the scut piston needs ring pretty regularly

good luck

Would the tb kit work with the 155z engine??

Latest posts

Back