talk me out of a ttr50 ?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dude!

Reaction score
hi guys.
been around the site for a while; usually just to get cheap parts from the classifieds.
recently settled down in a unit on the sunny coast so no big toys anymore; i want to build a stocka to keep in the unit. from what i can find around me, the crf's are overpriced and of questionable quality, i was keen on the drz70 but with less aftermarket and scarce supply its probably not an option.

so im left with the ttr50, there are a few around me of good quality and affordable (2008, $1000), from what i have found crf: bar kits, forks, springs, exhaust with minor mods to rear mount will fit the ttr + there are aftermarket options, ive read the TTR-50e Made in China. Doesnt mean its bad thread, but thats not to bad , looking at McNeil's thread they can be pretty sexy.

9862222_20.jpeg

any testimonies for the ttr or reasons why i should hold out and hope for a decent cheap crf to come my way, would be appreciated

cheers Iazzic

i see no reason.. the chinese engines and honda engines are the same anyway and the chassis on the crf probably has better suspension/longer lasting but i dunno... cant see whats bad about them compared to the crf

You lost me right from the start.

"the crf's are overpriced and of questionable quality"

They are a Honda. The quality is not questionable at all and of the equal quality to the Yamaha.

As for over priced I do agree there. 2nd hand bikes 3 or 4 year old selling for a couple of hundred less than new is over priced but its the market and demand that predicts that price. What ever you pay for a CRF you will get your money back or close to it not counting the price of modifications.

You will fine plenty of Crf's that match or even better the price of the TTR you have pointed out.

The amount of Aftertmarket parts available for the Honda makes it the bike of choice.

From watt i was lead to belive was that from 2010 onwards in ttr50s that they where made in china. so when i was looking to buy one, looked around for one pre 2010 model. bought 07 model $900. and found only after bit got her home and she got made in china stamp'd into left side engine case near gear lever, so mmm not shore watt years where made in japan now.

on the later models they have duel throttle cables on ttr50s . make real hard to get after markit throttle to fit id say.
older models like mine are single pull thouttle. after markit throttle crf50 cables WOUNT fit ttr50. as the cap ttr 50 carb is way smaller.
can just use stock yami thottle cable just rerote it to right side of frame n go straight up to throttle tube , is only just long enough. hangs in road abit but gets you on road. when got bigger bars.

By questionable quality I mean they look thrashed.2000-2004 models going for at least $1000, 2005 onwards are at least $1300 and up. I don't like to think I'm stingy but I don't want to fork out alot for a trashed bike.

I was going to start with exhaust, and pod filter then when my gf gets more comfortable with it go to the 88 or 107 kit. Maybe I'll upgrade the carb first and sort out a better throttle cable. Have you had any other issues Shearer.
Cheers Iazzic.

better off just getting a honda 50 with a few mods , by the time you get ttr ridable for adult prob be looking at round $2500, and could bet pretty good built up honda for that

Last edited:
building a stock bike from scratch is going to cost $$$ , and honda parts are alot easyier to get , 2nd hand aswell, im on sunnycoast , and can help out a bit with what works and what dont :)
Oh and have track :)

Maybe I'll upgrade the carb first and sort out a better throttle cable. Have you had any other issues Shearer.
Cheers Iazzic.
Haven't try'd to fit honda carb to me yami but looks like just unbolt it up near carb n bolt crf style carb on ttr intake madifold. so don't qute me (next chance i get i pull carb of me honda n try it on ttr50)
http://classichonda50saustralia.com.au/store/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=1757
Starts to get bit prisey buyn new honda style carb to run on ttr50. If did do that make heaps easyer get after markit parts for it, eg, crf throttle cable , uni filter .
other plus to crf style carb , is that gets choke lever down on carb, as the ttr50 choke on cable n handle bar mounted , bit fiddlie

Also with ttr50 haveing three mounting points to hold motor in frame, it be so hard n fiddle to pot pod filter on anyhow. Im just running stock airbox atm
This picture shows how there no room to pot uni filter straight on have to unbolt top mount! pain n bum. no chance from other side as muffler there!

Issue had with running stock air box, was the crank case breath'r runs up into air box. So when motor hot n oil is tinner & crash n lay bike down!! engine oil runs up n fills carby & filter FULL! of oil. n dam she smooky then! oil'n plug wounted rev out! n stop'd going after bit.

block off where hose go's into air box and run crank case breather down instead.
Cleand all oil outa carby n filter and good to go then! bean cut'n lap after lap no worrys after that. :)

Hey Shearer, wouldn't have thought there would have been so many issues with the stock system, plenty of fun sorting out a better system filter access must be a biatch, have you seen the takegawa ttr bore kit they're a bit hard to find but relatively cheap, fast 50`s had them.

Deffinatley looking for crf. I'll keep it a stock class bike. Just bars and suspension, maybe have a go at racing when I drop some weight.

If I could find a decent bike with some mods already done I might go that route, if you know of anything around mini mulisha.

Last edited:
Also front mud gard is gay looking, and dosen't work real good ethere as flicks dirt up onto motor way worce then honda mudgard , plus get that light dirt n sand up in face while riding.
ttr50
No kick start back up! :(
battory only last like 3 or 4 mouths tops best ive had.

ttr50 is heavier then crf50.

If just buying bike to play around ride n backyard n stuff, & keeping motor stock. Id be looking more at suzuki dr-z70. as they go fair bit better then both ttr n crf 50's
crf50 throttle cable bolt straight up to suzuki carb
SAM_2194.jpg

the stock throttle cable cap on dr-z, is all you need can get away with buying , crf50 throlle cable without cap, so be cheaper ;)

Last edited:
Drz70 was my first choice but there wasn't many used ones around me, I have a soft spot for the yellow plastics. Shan's drz looks the business.

The bog bore kits on fast50s page are 107cc $1,752.95 northing cheap about that man. if they have them in stock, Good chance they don't make them any more!
http://www.fast50s.com/cart/customer/product.php?productid=559&cat=79&page=2

found 88 kit on minimob website. 88cc barrel n piston $399 us , need buy bigger carb to go with it still listed as $229.
http://www.minimobracing.com/store/TT-R50/c135/index.html?osCsid=ce16f458aaba6d25d2d2a5bb2446aa86

Have to get on to them n ask if still have them if keen, be postage from US also. things to keen in mind.

mmm stock dr-z70 looking good ;)

Drz70 was my first choice but there wasn't many used ones around me, I have a soft spot for the yellow plastics. Shan's drz looks the business.

So you vote for shan's dr-z70 in fotm comp thats on atm?

There no where near as meny sold of dr-z as to ttr50, and crf50 like aus best selling dirtbike, they everywhere.
So makes 2nd handy suzuki dr-z 70 harder to find. dosen't mean they ae bad by any means.

Havent sean any big bore kits fir suzuki dr-z any where.
But i saying that for the size of the bike the 70cc motor go's real good. Can ride it 2 to 3 sec faster lap times on dr-z , over my stock honda 50.

Hana yeah the drz got my vote, Crfs is still at the top of the list but I'm keeping my eyes open for anything at decent price close to me.

Last edited:
hey dude ive found you a bike , ready to go its even on the sunny coast and know the fella thats got it
P.M. Me and will send ya his #
Crf50 2010. Located sunny coast. Qld. $1300

Stock class crf 50. Good clean little bike.
Mods include:
RB high seat
RB bar kit
RB throttle
Sik 50's pegs
Fiveo dipstick
Kitaco 75cc cheater kit
Kitaco shifter
Kitaco cdi
Kitaco stainless pipe
New twin air air filter
Choke mods done
HD clutch
Renthal sprockets
HD front springs
Extended fork legs
ishock needs rebuild
HD spokes
Near new Dunlop rear and Pirelli front tyre

Bike comes with 2 spare sets of plastics, set of forks, stock barrel and piston etc, 2 stock seats. Spare RB bars.

Can put on pallet but buyer to organise shipping.

Sounds like good Find brett :) , Honda set up to go!

Should look into it Iazzic ;)

Latest posts

Back