tame a 250 two stroke

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ATOMIKRIDER22

Reaction score
hey all im 13 and looking at yz 125s and yz250f,s and just before i came across a yz250 2stroke now im not that good on a 2 stroke as it is but its only 2500 and in ace condition so i just wanted to know how to tame the powerband and take a little of the power away. im asking so i know if i should do it or not.
i dont want anyone saying its pointless because im 13.cos its cheeper than anything else so far.
thank you.

hey all im 13 and looking at yz 125s and yz250f,s and just before i came across a yz250 2stroke now im not that good on a 2 stroke as it is but its only 2500 and in ace condition so i just wanted to know how to tame the powerband and take a little of the power away. im asking so i know if i should do it or not.
i dont want anyone saying its pointless because im 13.cos its cheeper than anything else so far.
thank you.

run 91 fuel and on a 2t the longer the muffler the more uptup and shorter more torque so you could play aroundd with a few mufflers, but you will be able to ride on easy

for everyones peace of mind, especially your parents, get a 125 to start with. look at a 250 in 3 or 4 years. I find them quite powerful and i'm 95 kg and have been riding for over 20 years. But that's just my opinion

dont worry about the power man. the bike only does what your right wrist tells it to. i just went from a CRF450 motard road bike to a Yamaha R1 and on paper the R1 should rip my bloody arms off. thing is all i have to do is ride it slow and not wide open. the bike wont be the thing that gets you in trouble..... you will be.

the biggest factor i would be thinking about as a 13yr old would be the weight of the bikes. that will make the biggest impact.

There are many ways of taking out the hit of the powerband of a 2 stroke, but it will cost money.
It would be crude, but take off the expansion chamber and replace it with a stright pipe and no chamber. That would take the big hit out of it.
But even like 4 stokes, changing carbs, exhausts, ignition, barrels, pistons and domes all change the power chariteristics of an engine.
The 250 would be alot to handle but in saying that it also has good bottom end before it hits power band and if your light you wont need to rev it into the band to go fast or even make it up some hills. then when your confident on the bike, rev it harder and then quickly find a mirror so you can see the smile that only a 2 stroke can bring!!!!!:D

I had a 2 stroke CR250 for my first bike. It was super fast, but with that it was hard to handle and especially harde to learn on. I end up getting a CRF250 and love'd it, and my riding improved dramatically.

But besides all that, I did look into the best what to tame them down, and I heard a fly wheel weight will smooth out the powerband.

250 2stroke is the greatest motorcycle ever conceived, just take it easy for the first month or so & they become easy to ride

dont worry about the power man. the bike only does what your right wrist tells it to. i just went from a CRF450 motard road bike to a Yamaha R1 and on paper the R1 should rip my bloody arms off. thing is all i have to do is ride it slow and not wide open. the bike wont be the thing that gets you in trouble..... you will be.

the biggest factor i would be thinking about as a 13yr old would be the weight of the bikes. that will make the biggest impact.

haha i went from a cbr250rr to an 04 R1...

I'll never forget that first ride lol!

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP I HAVE AN ATOMIK 150 AND I KEEP BLOWING THE MOTOR UP and the way i look at it i really want a bike that has more power than i nmeed so then i can have it untill im 18

Ive got an idea from my go-karting days. just make a re-stricter plate where the barrel meets the pipe which is simply a plate with a smaller hole in the middle to restrict exhaust gas flow. its a one piece of metal with a hole in it simple fix.

they have this in go-kart class' so Dad's can just buy one engine for there kids and when they step up to the next class, all they have to do is take the plate out instead of buying a new engine.

just leave it stock mate i ride my mates 07 cr250 all the time and im 14 just take it eaasy for the first month or so on a cr the power band is really spreadout like it dosent just snap on like most 125s and they have heaps of downlow power2

No No No. all it will do is restrict it. it will actually give it extended life between rebuilds as it is under less pressure and power. the big 2 stroke pipes actually pull excess fuel out the the exhaust then ram it backwards into the cylinder at around 30psi, this means the motor is essentially supercharged when it hits say 8,000rpm and that is why you get the 'power band' or 'hit'.

you may need to change the carby jetting to suit which is a $10 part. you have alot of 2 -stroke learning to do now over the 4 -stroke science. you will learn to read spark plug colors to cheak its tuning.

the powerband is all in the pipes length and shape. that is why Barnesd09 said make the pipe the same diameter as a 4 - stroke one as it will eliminate all powerband. even if you cut the stock muffler say in half, it will shift some of the top end power to the middle of the rpm range. its a cheap mod also but may make your bike louder.

you are going to have so much fun mate getting off a 150 pitbike. and you wont look back.

Last edited:
my thought is always bigger is better... my sister went from ER185 to a 04 YZ250, first few rides she was very timid, but now she loves it. And at 2500 sounds like a bloddy good price, personally i'd do it, just take it easy. P.S where you gonna be rinding it? At a track or round the bush? personaly i don't think they make the best bush bike (having bugger all tourque, but a crap load of power). And like barnes said about the pipe, if it has an aftermarket pipe they usually only increase the power, so if the options availible make sure you can get the standard to put back on.

ok sounds all good but i still love having the mini but if i get it i will be paying with my bday and chrissy money oh and all that i get for my 150 and bmx but anyways gotta make that decision
@gnrman get this man a medal his gota good answer for everything!

There are many ways of taking out the hit of the powerband of a 2 stroke, but it will cost money.
It would be crude, but take off the expansion chamber and replace it with a stright pipe and no chamber. That would take the big hit out of it.
But even like 4 stokes, changing carbs, exhausts, ignition, barrels, pistons and domes all change the power chariteristics of an engine.
The 250 would be alot to handle but in saying that it also has good bottom end before it hits power band and if your light you wont need to rev it into the band to go fast or even make it up some hills. then when your confident on the bike, rev it harder and then quickly find a mirror so you can see the smile that only a 2 stroke can bring!!!!!:D

so if i get a straigh pipe will that take the powerban away and were would i get one to fit

dude dont waste ya time
buy it
ride it
crash
hurt yaself
never ride again out of fear
and stop asking stupid questions

how to tame a 250 man they are gut less jump on my 450 that will sort ya
if ya aint got the balls to get it dont.

tell ya what your on a mini bike forum maybe you will get a better answer on a big bike forum i think we have been very accomodating but enough is enough

man first post back and it's this rubbish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back