The Bike Is Back!!

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
and to make it worse

its leaking oil between the head and the engine
and and wait for it

it still makes the ticking sound when im riding
i just took it for a quik ride around the block and came home and it was dripping oil everywhere

oi bro take it back and tell them whats wrong with it and say either fix it or give me my 490$ back set him straght man stick up for yourself dont let him walk all over u

im going back there on monday
its stupid paying that much money and the bike isnt even performing properly
it sux big time

the oil, did they bother putting a true blue in between the gasket they made up, i say u pull it apart and do it urself!... as they say if you want it done properly do it yourself!

ill take it to firestorm on monday instead of 50shq see what they can do and see what they say about it
i just dont wanna start pulling the engine apart in case i brake sumthing (99.9%of the time i do break sumthing)

but a broken part can always be fixed... having a go can lead to a little more knowledge and understanding. ppl from this forum can always point u in the right position if you get stuck, just keep the camera handy so we know what ur talking about

alrighty thanks
ill start to take it apart on sunda.
do i drain all the oil out 1st?
and is the timing chain under the star?
on our bikes crazzy#1

if you dont want oil all over the floor, then i sujest you drain the oil, and i do believe the timing chain is somewhere in that area! but i am unsure if it is directly behind the star

sounds like your timing chain, if it was your tapets or valves it would be consistant regardless of idle or anything. as crazy1 said, these tension up with oil pressure, ride it hard after like a week and give it a few days, if it still taps after this time then take it back to the shop and get them to take a look at it FREE OF CHARGE.

p.s: it is a little highly priced for some labour work of which could have been avoided if they knew what they were doing but i do think that not so many people of this forum need be so negative and constantly remind binky77 of the price he paid. as long as he is happy with how it works and didnt mind paying that kind of coin, who are you to remind him of the fact that the price tag was a little steep...? if binky77 didnt mind the price, so be it. glad to hear you got yourself a mean machine binky, hope its just slack in the timing chain and nothing to dramatic. i would also suggest calling them now and telling them off the issue, see what their reaction is and base your decision to resolve the problem on that. if they say, bring it down and we will sort it out now for you, cool, if they say we will need to take it off your hands for a few days, then thats something completly different. good luck champ :D

Cheers, Tony.

hey yeah about the valves, on my ford lazer farm hack it use to do it, but then it stoped? mabye tighten the timing and then see if it goes, if it doesnt just keep riding and it might go away

haha thats a little odd, speaking of that in my car one day the tappets go off their nut, oil light on and the whole lot, makes a real racket. then the next day she is quiet as any car on the road. real bizarre.

the timing chain is located on the left side of the engine behind the fly wheel and the star that crazzy #1 is refering to. this is the cam cover on the left side of the motor as well, the timing chain runs from this point around the cam down to somewhere around the flywheel. sorry i cant be more descriptive im just going on pics i have seen :D.

i would let 50shq know though man, they have from the sounds of it done a poor job and the last thing we need as a community of riders is to have the same unfortunate greif that you have. i would personally take it back to them and demand either a refund of a complete repair of the bike free of charge as that is very poor workmanship.

hope it all goes well mate, if you need anymore help just let us know champ.

Cheers, Tony.

hi guys i am having the same problem with my engine i installed new cylinder and hc piston about a week ago and i did it all sucsesfully and it make a noise like a knocking or tinging i have done alot to fix it but nothing it working and i think it is to do with valaves but i have adjusted them correctly the things ive tried are using higher occtane to stop detonation and ive done the squish test to see if the piston is hitting and its not also i have replaced the gasket at the bottom to double the normal size tosee if this would help it didnt i havent put a copper gasket on as of yet but will be doing can the size of the head gasket change anything as the piston doesnt touch this?

Ryan, Its really important to make sure that the HC piston you fitted has the same pin to deck height as the stock piston otherwise you can end up with positive deck height (piston top actually protruding slightly from cylinder at TDC). If this happens, then you'll have to make sure that the head gasket you are using is the correct size for the bore and that it's got enough clearance so that the piston edge is'nt tapping on the head when its torqued down.

Check the pin to deck height on your piston. only 0.5 mm can make a big difference.

if it is hitting what can i do to fix it? when i get a new copper head gasket roost told me i should get a 2mm thick one ,is this the only thing i can do becasue if i do get a thick one its no point me having a hc piston is it

also i have taken the head off about 3 times after starting and idling for about 2 mins repeatitivly and there are no marks or scartches on the piston top or the head between the valves or on the valves even

Back to Binky77's ticking sound, if it is a small ticking sound, it may be the tappets. Some tuners set the gap fairly larger than usual and that causes the ticking. This is of no worries and there is some benefit to it. And if I hadnt known any better and I had full confidence on the tuner, I'd leave it. But under the circumstances with Binky77's narration about 50shq, its hard to tell.

If it is a louder ticking sound, similar to knocking, it is likely to be the chain, which I join the posts here from crazzy#1 and bones, among others, and will go away once the oil has fully pumped in that area. No worries about this as well.

Highly unlikely for the problem to be this but just to lay down other possibilities. With engine mod work like this, other possibilities may include the valve/s hitting the piston or piston hitting the gasket ring but both of these are signs of a poor and wrong job done which I would doubt the shop wouldn't have noticed unless they really have a reputation for "not knowing what they're doing".

If it were just the ticking sound, I would personally report the problem first before I touch anything. This way, they are made aware that you think there may be a problem in case it develops in something bigger. However, with the oil leak, and a gasket they made and paid for, I would rather take it back to them and go for bones recommendation from there on.

The amount of money paid is too much that a problem like this must be resolved satisfactorily. Maintain composure in dealing with them. It pays to step back a bit without them still being able to walk over you.

Let us know about it.

hey thanks for all the replies

i went for a little ride this arvo again
not going to hard coz they sed to take it easy for a while.
and its leaking oil for the gasket pretty bad like after a little ride its got a puddle of oil on the bash plate
im taking the bike back to 50shq on monday and get them to fix it and im most definately not paying for it.
but the power is awsome it lifts in every gear :)

hey
just went for another ride and wiped all the oil off the bash plate before i went to see how much it wld leak and heres a pic of how much it leaked in a 10 minute ride

DSC00654.jpg

cant be good aye

That sux mate, wonder if they gave you new gaskets or just used the old ones? Or their gaskets are dodgy also?

Latest posts

Back