the cruise....

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

140_addict

Reaction score
Got that 1970 something honda XL 70 fired up today.... lovin the sound of thier stock pipe ( extremely quiet ) lol good neighborhood cruiser.... :)

<object width="238" height="176" ><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://www.facebook.com/v/138403399510908" /><embed src="http://www.facebook.com/v/138403399510908" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="238" height="176"></embed></object>

I am filming from my blackberry which i found a nice place behind the numberplate to place it so its protected and stays put while i ride... with help from its case ( Body Glove ).... im riding the loud and proud Pirahna, and often just cruise up next to my buddie brian....

Nolan got his GPX 140 fired up and we all went for a cruise and then after a little journey his bike started to act funny... the throttle seem to want to kill it... i saw it backfire and shoot a small flame... and im curious if thats because he did not have the oil cooler on, AND didnt have the jumper line ran either.... both spots for lines had regular bolts... no jumper was installed from factory....

and well... at least we got the 70 running like a champ so far... now to get his GPX on the track !!!

any opinions would help... !!!!

thanks in advance as always !!

- Addict

Last edited:
sweet vid man..

you say your not running the oil line jumper and no cooler... hmm be very careful as you may have just stopped all oil pressure going anywhere..

backfiring and shooting flames is carby related, very out of tune.. was it back firing at full noise or mid range?

sweet vid man..

you say your not running the oil line jumper and no cooler... hmm be very careful as you may have just stopped all oil pressure going anywhere..

backfiring and shooting flames is carby related, very out of tune.. was it back firing at full noise or mid range?

at first it ran perfect out of the box... not sure whats going on with it now... and that was my exact same thought with the oil pressure... he got very excited lets say.... and just kinda took off riding around on break-in oil.. no jumper... no cooler..

was also considering that because the bypass is not installed nor is the cooler, so the oil literally had no pathing to follow.... and im not sure if thats such a horrible thing, but i am sure its not a good thing... hopefully it was heat related and just overheated a little bit.... drastic changes in temperature have been known to cause issues with engines =) we will have to work at this and see whats up... but meantime.... have to get a bracket fabricated to mount the cooler... =)

i cant be of any help, but your in the states are you? or somewhere over seas?

and yes Matt I am in the states.... ( Lincoln, Nebraska ) beileve it or not Pitsters are put together here in Nebraska...

gotta run guys my lunch break is over !! happy riding, and thanks for the tips any other opinions are appreciated aswell !!

Last edited:
sweet vid man..

ok... so straight out of the box we got the 140 GPX mounted and wired up... did a test fire and it ran... and sounded beautiful....

he got anxious... and because he dose not have the proper bracket to mount the oil cooler on his frame... he just kinda went for a ride...

during the ride it seemed fine and seemed to run really good to be honest....

after we where out for about 15 minutes and where on our way back to let the bike cool down and change the oil... it died..... and started to run like it was rich as hell..... shot a small flame.... and well if you watch the video ..... at 13:10 he fires the GPX 140 and listen to how it sounds... kinda scary to think it was purring like a kitten just a second ago before that.....

did you check tappet clearances? worth checking.

how would I go about doing this? and what tools are required?

do you mean valve clearances by any chance?

cause if so then Thump already has that covered here :

http://www.miniriders.com.au/motor-...ntal-engines.html?highlight=tappet+clearances

and I have yet to do this... but i may as well start sometime if im going to get serious with the bikes... a good mechanical knowledge of how things work on it would be a wise thing to have...

Last edited:
sorry yes thats what i meant, its good to check these on new engines as they have been known to be way off, usually too tight which could be causing some of the issues you discribe. im not familier with the oil circuit on these engines so i cant comment about that, but i can tell you that no oil pressure will lead to a dead motor in minutes.

Last edited:
but i can tell you that no oil pressure will lead to a dead motor in minutes.

that I know, and its not my motor.... piranha runs like a champ....

but for my buddie.... that is what I am afraid of... and not really following run-in procedures was not a good thing as well...

we will have to get the oil either bypassed or the cooler attached somehow

isn't there a carb mounting kit for oil coolers somewhere? swear I saw one at some point... hmm

we ran the lines to the oil cooler and the motor still runs the exact same way... not sure what to do now... it does seem like it is running way rich... but when it came out of the box it seemd to run perfect... even with the oil cooler now attached and the lines connected, it still seems way off.....

At idle it pops alot and backfires a bit... but the idle jumps in revs it seems... and at times if you try giving it gas it wants to die.... and at times it will catch and jump up in revs... and if it gets into mid range.... then you can keep it there and it sounds somewhat decent... but if let back to idle... it gets the symptoms immediatly again....

also did appear that one of the main case gaskets was leaking oil.... head a steady drip comming off the drain plug but the plug was tight... and the top of the case seemed to have a thin coat of fresh 10-40 oil on the top, and I didnt spill a drop....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back