The Little Puppy, what to do first? Modded CRF50...

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buttons

Reaction score
G'day Guy's and Girl's,

I recently bought my first mini (stocker) got a bit daunted by the mods and prices involved so sold it and bought one already most of the way there... Tried to post a pic, but didn't seem to work...

IMG_9893.JPGIMG_9893.JPG
CRF50, Marzzochi forks, Red Baron swing arm, pro taper bar kit, 88 bore kit, high seat, oversize pegs, fancy kick stater, big foam air filter and sitting in a crf100 frame, 12 inch front, 10 inch rear, front disc... Areal bitzer... a few of questions if I may?

1. I have looked into a manual clutch and possibly a four gear, but my understanding is 4 gears have a tendency to break in stress situations... So a more useful 1st gear is a better option?

2. I can't find any reviews on a manual clutch? Anyone got one and love/hate it? Is it worth doing?

3. The rear shock is a fast ace with the air pressure valve on it? Is the ishock or fox shock THAT MUCH better? Any other recommendations? I'm thinking perhaps this should be my first priority? Thoughts anyone...?

4. The front disc brake is really grabby (locks up really quickly), is this normal/easy to adjust? Its hydraulic but the reservoir seems tiny...

5. The rear drum brake feels fine when wheeling with the motor off, but is barely there when you ride with power. I tried to adjust it but locked up with a mild adjustment... It also has a clicking/yo-yo sort of feel when being used, any thoughts or should I just take it to a mechanic?

Cheers,

Shano.

IMG_9893.JPGH=CONFIG]12888[/ATTACH]

Personal preference but i prefer 3 speed and semi auto on my 50's .

Never heard of dramas running a 4 speed in a honda tho , i never liked the ratio on the 4 speeds tho much prefer a spread out 3 speed.
And the cheaper tb manual clutches get the job done no worries

Ishock won't be that much better , fox shock you will definitely feel the difference

All the formula brakes i have had on my marzocchies got thrown in the bin lol , if yours works count yourself lucky .

maybe new brake shoes for the rear to fix them up , cheap to buy and i imagine easy to install

There were some issues with honda 4 speeds from the 70s being fragile(like sl70 and xl70s) when more power is put through them, modern honda 4 speeds and aftermarket ones are more than capable of handling 88cc/106cc or more without issue. If going to 4 speed I'd try to get an all up one (N1234) over one with neutral between 1st and 2nd (1N234) as they can be hard to find neutral, especially with an auto clutch. If racing the takegawa 3 speed is probably an option to consider, much better spread of ratios.
As for the clutch, it comes down to personal preference, me i love the auto clutch, but i tend to love playbikes rather than racers and i think the auto clutch makes them more fun to ride. If racing theres a real skill to riding an auto fast, you need to keep your speed up into the corners, pick the right line to maintain corner speed so you can get out of the corner quickly, you can't slip the clutch to get the revs up

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back