This looks like a great spot to start for some information for a noob

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3lud13

Reaction score
OK people here is the situation the kid has convinced me to get him a bike and now that I have my own dirt bike I have agreed. So I am looking for a bike suitable for him but something I can easily pick up and put in 4wd as my bike klr250 sits on a rack on back of vehicle (it would be possible to ride a mini bike straight into back of vehicle with a ramp if need be I guess will have to check height I have to play with)
I am also looking for a bike I can get some use out of also when he isn't around much easier to take a minibike out and about than a fullsize bike when out with the 4wd.
The other day riding through Frankston I came across braaap bikes which looks like it could fill my need but thought best to ask those more knowledgable in the field.
He is 11 never ridden before and will need a standover height of no more than about 75cm so he can touch the ground after thinking about it have decided its best to get him a bike with a clutch as he knows no better and no point getting him used to a auto or semi auto gearbox, me on the other hand am about 80-90kg and about 6foot tall.
Riding will mainly be done out bush when camping during school holidays and the occasional weekend by him as he doesn't live me rest of the time it be mine to play with. So I guess primarily I am seeking a minibike suitable for an adult but can let me 11 year old son ride when he is around.
Any suggestions and advice would be greatly apprieciated.
Right now I am off to read the forums here.

Braap if you want to spend $$$$

Me and a mate just bought the new 160cc 2015 DHZ outlaw (crf 110 copy) and doesnt miss a beat, not to mention adjustable suspension. There are so many brands/makes of pitbikes now it all really comes down to personal preference and the coin you are willing to spend.

Yeah as Scott ^ has mentioned there are so many bike you could get.
Best of going around to a few business's and sitting your lad and yourself on a few bike's and try them out.
I don't know if i let my son learn on a 160cc though ?

There are plenty of 6' + member here even riding CRF50/88's too

Maybe one the dhz outlaw linkage bikes with a 125 in it to start off? You will hate the engine, but your son would handle it a lot easier than a 160. A 140 may even give you a happy medium. Atleast if you start with a decent frame you can upgrade the engine as you boy gets more confident.

The power from the 160 is only there from the amount of throttle twist you give it.
You could start small from a 125cc but give it a couple of months and he will build up confidence and be wanting more
spending $$ on bore kits will just be a waste in my opinion espicially if hes starting out so might aswell get the 160cc also for you to have a little fun on

If you like the braaap , buy one , Ive riden with guys that have them and the ergonomics are good

A buddy has one that does a lot of riding and he rides it hard , the bike holds up well

The power from the 160 is only there from the amount of throttle twist you give it.
You could start small from a 125cc but give it a couple of months and he will build up confidence and be wanting more
spending $$ on bore kits will just be a waste in my opinion espicially if hes starting out so might aswell get the 160cc also for you to have a little fun on
Thats true, but learner riders often panic and forget to get off the throttle, or get ****y and rip on it. Both situation will be way worse on a more powerful bike. I also wouldnt bore the 125, I would sell the engine when more power is needed, and buy a new 160ho.... may cost more in the long run, but a lot safer for his boy, potentially saving alot from avoided medical bills.

^ And the broken ankle's for the 11y/o if he was to try and kick start the 160 !

Im still not convinced on the braaap that was just the store I spotted riding through frankston the other day and stopped to look at.
Currently I don't know anything about mini bikes but from browsing through this site have found both ciniworx and motovert quite close to my location so will go out and look at both of those when I can.
Not looking for an engine larger than 125 atm but if i do maybe get a restricted throttle to install for him so he cant open it up fully
From what I have read the dhz sounds good and a few of you hear have suggested it also so will have a look at those as soon as I can. quick google and the 2015 DHZ OUTLAW160LR looks pretty good
As far as budget is concerned I've not overly thought about it too much but with work and everything probably not much gonna be happening till after xmas but vague numbers I was planning was 2-3k for bike 1k for gear I figure that should be more than enough to find something suitable.

Also worth looking at ycf, they are new to he country as a dealer but braaap used to sell them. The only thing with braaap and ycf is the price, for what you get on a dhz outlaw lr the braaaps and ycfs are over priced imo.

Also worth looking at ycf, they are new to he country as a dealer but braaap used to sell them. The only thing with braaap and ycf is the price, for what you get on a dhz outlaw lr the braaaps and ycfs are over priced imo.
Agree totally, 4k for a minibike is pushing it, save another 3k and you got yourself a new CRF 250.

You can go out buy an Atomik, TorPro and any other cheap ass brands (no offense to the guys who have one) but they break within the first day

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

braaap have a $1000 entry level bike that would suit.

I have had a look at braaap and honestly I am not impressed with their price point for the bike, and the frames don't seem that great which is one of the major factors I am looking at the other being suspension.
Yes I am looking for a bike for a year old but I also want to be able to ride it and I know whatever he is going to do to any of these bikes out there the bike will survive but I am more worried about me doing damage to it that might come to surface while he is on it.
So basically I have narrowed it down to bikes I think both seem to be more at the higher end of the mini bike market but I guess to get the suspension requirements for a 11 year old that doesn't weigh too much and then me who is about 85kg you need suspension adjustment.

Am looking at the motovert bikes they look pretty good. Would probably go the 125 pro. Seen them the other day out at motorbike city in ferntree gully I quite liked the look of them though the guy there was trying to convince me to get the pitpro as he thinks that would be better suited to my need which I found strange, even after I pointed out almost no suspension adjustment which would meaning couldn't run light suspension for the kid and heavy suspension for myself, I also liked the fact they had a linkage rear shock setup instead of straight to the swingarm.
The other bike I would like to look at when I find one is the dhz outlaw LR yjey seem pretty good on paper and I wouldn't mind having a look at one at some stage only thing I see with that one is as a complete bike it only seems to come with a 160 motor and im not sure about letting the kid run free with that little bit of extra power but will see where my research leads me anyway, considering I was initially thinking of getting him semi automatic and quickly binned that idea after some research.

So poeples thoughts on the
DHZ outlaw LR
Motovert pro125
keeping in mind suitablilty for a 11 year old learner and myself who is 85kg and most likely going to end up thrashing it through the bush with jumps and whatnot.

Does anyone know a location in Melbourne that may have the dhz lr outlaw instock as I would like to have a look at one if possible

Latest posts

Back