thumpstar 125 missing second gear

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fovu

Reaction score
hi
i have a thumpstar pro hunge 125,it goes great except for it has another neutral where second should be but apart from that the gears shift nicely.does anyone have any ideas on what is goin on
thanks.

Is your gear box international (1-0-2-3-4) or all up (0-1-2-3-4)??

Could just be a false neutral.

its all up but instead of 4 gears it has 3 and two neutrals

uh oh.... hows the oil look when you drain it? nice and metallic? ooooh, pretty:)

definitely has no 2nd? at all? sounds like shredded dogs...

mmmm, shredded dog:) can i have sweet chilli with that?

ok, the dogs are lil teeth that engage into the gears and transmit power to the shaft... no dogs, no transmit...

the oil is actually pretty good,thought it might be a gear selector problem?
there is no grinding like its trying to drive in that gear just a complete neutral

Last edited:
Yep ... sounds like the dogs have been snapped right off ... if it was a selector problem or gear teeth missing you'd cop crunching ... or you'd at least feel a pulsing movement thru the shift lever as the dogs go into and pop out of the holes in the mating gear ...

Motorcycles have constant mesh trannies ... meaning the teeth of matching gear sets remain in mesh at all times ... the slider gears which the selector forks ride in the grooves of ... simply disengage the dogs from a free wheeling gear on one shaft ... and re-engage other dogs with a free wheeling gear on the opposing shaft ... Each gear set has one gear splined or fixed to a shaft and the other is non splined to allow that gear to go slower or faster than the shaft ... The dogs do the job of the spline when they are engaged in a gear , thereby connecting a given gear set to both shafts to change the gear ratio ... IF the dogs break off a gear ... you cop a false neutral for obvious reasons ...

IF the shift forks ever get bent or snapped off after the shift lever has been forced during a stack ... it's possible that two gear sets can try to engage at the same time ... in that case something would have to give ... ie one set of dogs would HAVE to snap off ... or gear teeth would be stripped ... or the gear shafts would be forced apart splitting the cases ...

If the dogs snap off cleanly ... there won't be any fine metal particles or shavings in the oil ... Forks that are worn thin can also cause the dogs to fail ... but you'll get a warning period as they wear ... and you'll definitely notice metal particles in the oil ... Unless you got the bike second hand and the previous owner flushed all the filings out ... In that case check for signs of banana skins too ... LOL ...

Some earlier model Lifan and Jialing engines did suffer from false neutrals due to a dodgy shift star and a weak detent spring ... so the shift drum failed to stop in the correct position sometimes ... causing false neutrals ... If the shift star is loose the same thing can happen ... but in those cases the false neutral is intermittent ... NOT constant on every single shift ... plus they caused missed down shifts as well ...

Most of the problems were in engines that had a 1 down 3 up shift pattern ... not in 4 up shifting trannies ... That's WHY most engines are N1234 now since 4 up is the most reliable and positive shift pattern ...

The most likely scenario would be that the dogs which engage second gear were snapped off during repeated hard shifts ... The ratio jump from 1st to 2nd gear is huge in these engines , and that creates a big impact on the 1-2 shift dogs ... Poorly synchronised clutching or not using the clutch at all is also bad for the dogs ... I've had a good look at a brand new Lifan 140 tranny which is similar to 125 trannies and some of the dogs are weak compared to a Honda XR75 tranny ... One gear is so small in diameter that the dogs are severely weakened by tooth grooves having been chopped through them ... I couldn't believe what I was seeing ... it's crazy ...

the bike runs really nicely apart from this issue,if it is the dogs snapped off does it mean there is more problems to come or can it be live without the second gear as long as the bits have been flushed out.

The best way to find out what IS actually wrong with your tranny is to pull it down and take a look ...

the dogs in question are roughly 10x10x10mm...after being sheared/snapped off...get something like that between two gears and say goodbye gearbox :p

i have done a couple of oil changes since i got it and there isnt anything major to worry about coming out of the oil and as i have said it runs and changes gear nicely so if it is the dogs it must have been flushed out

Latest posts

Back