Thumpy125s' Z50A SA

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THUMPY125

Reaction score
so been restoring my 1970 or 1971( not too sure of the year) honda Z50 hard tail and before i fit new blinkers i would like to know how to register it. not sure if its been registered before. it doesn't have a compliance plate on it but this is due to being manufactured before 1975 when the compliance plates where first introduced. so is it possible and what would i have to do. any help much appreciated.

Last edited:
i think it was b4 1975 mate > i think for along the lines of pre 68
is your bike a hard tail or soft , got a pic , best bet is to go to your local dmv , they are the best ppl to ask in your state as every state has a different set of rules

Actually it was brought in Jan 76, so most bikes got plates from late 75 onwards. Honda were actually selling hardtails in oz until mid 75. The only way to get a build date for your hardtail is to read your build code. It is stamped on the back of the frame section where your serial number is. The best thing to do is to join monkeygarage and there is a thread" called how to date your z50a" that explains how to do it, and you will be able to ask people from your state exactly how to go about getting it rego'd. From what I hear though it's pretty easy(especially compared to Vic which is a real pain in the ass for rego'n a hardtail)MonkeyGarage Home

just need to take it to regency park inspection centre and fill out a form
or lonsdale inspection centre if you are down south (lonsdale is only open on wednesdays)
the inspector will call your name and you wheel the bike over to him.
he takes it inside and checks it over, gets numbers etc
then goes into the office and checks its not stolen etc.
he will then come out and give you a form to say its ok and you take it to motor reg (the form) and register it.
it will cost under $50 for the inspection (a car costs $50) payable at motor reg, then pay for transfer and rego fees. they will give you new number plates and the rego papers, all done. easy enough

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back