Tips On Doing Hill-Climb's

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitchy125

Reaction score
Hey guys, my mate and i went riding up in the dandenong ranges east of melbourne recently and found a good spot for hill climbing and jumping and what i have been doing is using 1st and 2nd gear pinned for going up hills is the right thing to do?
Please share tips on how i could improve hill climbs

for hill climbs out in the bush the main part you need is momentum, you gotta keep up the momentum otherwise you will most probably fail. As you get better you will get faster at it but when i attempt a hill climb i always go second gear and try to keep the revs at no less than mid range, i will go up the hills inbetween mid and high that way i can keep the momentum up plus have a bit extra revs if needed.

If you going up hills in first you'll probably find that you end up reving the tits off the bike and when you change into second the bike slows right down again. so the best bet is to get the speed up and select the right gear before you start, just keep the momentum up and you'll be good,

sometimes if you ever do stuff up a climb and find yourself halfway up it can be alot easier to go back down and try again, even when your nearly at the top because it can be a real bitch to start on a hill at times

dont know if that'd help you at all im not the greatest at explaining things, lol, but this is the way i get up hills, and i've gotton up some damn big hills,

Well it all depends on how steep, and how much of a run up you get, and also how rough it is.

The best piece of advice is pick a line from the bottom, look ahead, and do everything possible to maintain momentum and flow. Dont stop! If you do stop it's often better to go down and start again, keeping in mind your line, and maintaining momentum.

Keep your elbows out wide for balance so an unsuspecting tree root or rock doesn't catch you off guard.

Hope that helps...

yep, good explanation kingers.

Oh and if you do change gears and find you lose revs, a flick of the clutch will increase your chances...

I find I do some things similar some different to those mentioned, but I try to keep weight off the front wheel giving the rear as much as possible while still maintianing a good level of control on the front end, alowing it to 'absorb' rather than to bounce..

Pace,its all about the speed.. walk the hill first, move obtrusive objects such as dangerous rocks, tree branches etc. these WILL pierce metal..

If you do come a gutsa, dont hold the bike! lower it.. sure.. but if its coming over.. dont be under it! Try and fall 'uphill'. your more likely to be able to keep you balance/footing rather than gathering momentum going back down!

Chicken runs, if you get half way up look ahead for a chicken run or a spot to pull off and restart from. this may sometimes be a case of going another 200m up the hill.. so dont go to slow, your not ''riding miss daisy!''
Standing up and being able to shift your weight accordingly will play a big role in how far you get up to

get some videos! wheres this spot!? PM me..

edit: Have a video..

YouTube - Hill Climb Havoc

Last edited:
Hill climbing is my favourite thing to do on a bike and the bigger and steeper the hill the more fun it is. As previously mentioned speed and momentem is the key but standing starts are good fun too. Never approach a hill in 1st gear and be sure to hold down the front end by keeping some of your weight over the bars. Dont sit back too far on the seat either.

Some great tips there.

Do you seriously walk up the hill and get rid of rocks and stuff before doing it Coolie? Sounds like a lot of effort. Any obstacle can be avoided with the right bike control. ;)

The best tip I have ever been given is to fan the clutch. If you hit a big hill pinned in second and you smash into a rut and lose the revs and a bit of momentum, you can pull the clutch in the smallest amount while still driving forward just without that full force. This prevent's the front wheel lifiting and allows you to get the momentum back while under full rev's. Once you perfect this there isn't a hill you won't be able to take. If you flick the clutch on a decent size hill, you will pop the front up and that will be the end of it.

Ahh the best thing about electric start, no need to go back down the hill and have another crack if your 3/4 the way up. Push the button and away you go!!

i dont go moveing rocks man

they add to the fun of it all

he i went up to yarra junction on saturday and i got up that quarry wall it's pretty big
it's one of those second gear tapped and hold on things to bad i didn't have the video cam it was pretty muddy up there

ough well

walk the hill first, move obtrusive objects such as dangerous rocks, tree branches etc. these WILL pierce metal..

Sorry Coolie. Just thought that's what you meant.

I know the wall your talking about. Imagine that going for a couple of km's. They are my kind of hill climbs.

I was up at Warby on the weekend. Bloody hell it was slippery up there but a tonne of fun.

Last edited:
pin it !!!

spot on, oh and look 20mtrs ahead of ya not right in front of you otherwise you may fall into a big rut or hit a rock etc and loose control and momentum, looking ahead allows you to pick a line before you run into trouble

Well it all depends on how steep, and how much of a run up you get, and also how rough it is.

The best piece of advice is pick a line from the bottom, look ahead, and do everything possible to maintain momentum and flow. Dont stop! If you do stop it's often better to go down and start again, keeping in mind your line, and maintaining momentum.

Keep your elbows out wide for balance so an unsuspecting tree root or rock doesn't catch you off guard.

Hope that helps...

X2 couldnt have said it better myself!

jeep.jpg

While this was probably caused by stupidity...i'll still walk the track first, thanks all the same...

Sorry Coolie. Just thought that's what you meant.

I know the wall your talking about. Imagine that going for a couple of km's. They are my kind of hill climbs.

I was up at Warby on the weekend. Bloody hell it was slippery up there but a tonne of fun.

yeah was speed that checks the track
and the dude with the wrangler speed deseverd that what a doosh

where bouts in warby were ya motvertman and yeah pretty slippery i got high sided a couple of times was pretty funny

and yeah the quarry is pretty small
there's a hill climb up at bo ho called the widow maker and well the only way i could get up it was on a postie bike and my 450 i got up it once

wouldn't even bother on the pitty

i do what motovert man says, just fan the clutch have your weight forward and keep that bike reving and moving your body around while hill climbing is a must (for me anyways) can save you in alot of incidents, like trees, rock, ruts ect.

foolsp33d awsome find, it would of suck if that went forward a couple of more centermeters, if you get me.

yeah was speed that checks the track
and the dude with the wrangler speed deseverd that what a doosh

where bouts in warby were ya motvertman and yeah pretty slippery i got high sided a couple of times was pretty funny

and yeah the quarry is pretty small
there's a hill climb up at bo ho called the widow maker and well the only way i could get up it was on a postie bike and my 450 i got up it once

wouldn't even bother on the pitty

I was around Big Pat's Creek Road. Rode up to the Reefton pub. Was an awesome day. Was tring to find a downhill mountain bike track as well.

I got bucked over the bars coming down a hill which wasn't fun. Don't hit the rock, Don't hit the rock, Don't hit the rock - DAMN I just hit the rock. :p

Motovertman, ya just reminded me of a gem of a piece of advice... Look ahead, where you want to go, NOT at what you don't want to hit. You'll always go in the direction you're lookin.

Motovertman, ya just reminded me of a gem of a piece of advice... Look ahead, where you want to go, NOT at what you don't want to hit. You'll always go in the direction you're lookin.

That's exactly right. And don't focus on things for too long!! Just look at the line your taking.

Latest posts

Back