Trbo3ltr's build :D

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trbo3ltr

Reaction score
Ok, so havent been here too long. kinda know the basics of wats good and wats not.

to start things, i picked up a cheap cradle type frame, which is gonna be the basis of my build.
im hoping for a yx140 or 160, depending what comes up.

here is my frame :D
7987m1020.jpg
[/IMG]

any input would be much appreciated..

Carl

good stuff mate..
it looks like it has semi decent suspension already, hopefully in perfect working order too..

did you get a complete bike?

anyway u can tell wat brand the suspension is?

nah i have wat u see in the pic. the guy has heeaappss more parts and bits a pieces, which i might have to go back and sort thru.
do these type of frames take YX or lifan style motors? the axel holes ont he front of the forks seem to be smaller than 15mm, wats that other size?

yeh i have read bout the exhaust having to pass thru the frame, might customise something or bight the bullet and buy the BBR type for $$$
wats everyone preference on axle sizes? like, the guy had some alloy wheels with 12mm sizes, the front forks are 12mm so should i have bought the wheels to? as a starter? or is 15mm better and stronger? am i able to change the forkes to take 15mm?

so many questions lol

Carl

15mm is stronger and most wheels these days are 15mm.

the rear shock and forks look like fastace copies.. if the forks are just axle holes and not the clamp type then you can drill the forks to suit 15mm axles

the frame will take any yx or lifan type engine..
china bbr style pipes arent real big in diameter tho..

you will need the tank designed for that frame as a normal china tank is different..

as for plastics, im not too sure if a klx kit will fit or if it has to be the apollo type..

best advice would be to go back and get anything old mate has for that bike..

12mm is fine, most japanese bikes like ktm65 and 85s run axles around the 12mm mark and most of them are hollow too. You can drill out the forks to accommodate the 15mm axle if you want to go that route.

hmm ok, drilling it is :D

as for the plastics, i think KLX fit... its weird how the subframe just ends, theres no hoop.. do i need a special style of seat? i think i might.. i think he had that to. looks like ill be doin another trip to his.. farrkk

for a motor, do u guys reccomend YX or lifan? prob gonna go with a 140cc... and wats a good carb to suit?

Carl

I might have a lifan 140 for sale mate, Came with my new bike been only ran a few hours but was playing games going down gear have to sort the problem if your interested let me know...Good luck with the build the geometry on those frame are pretty good to I loved my mates old one :)

cheers for the input guys. might visit DHZ on the weekend, i got a mate that knows some of the guys there.
the lifan u have, wats it problem? might be interested...

Carl

just quickly mate, forks look similar to mine...what length are they?

if you look at my build i had the same issue 15mm rear but only 12 mm front so i drilled mine out to suit a 15mm....no biggie just make sure you use a drill press.

id be takin some well given advice already posted (sean?) and get what ever you can off ol' mate...might make some things easier to work out.

Wayne

ok, bit of an update..

went back to old mates place and had a sort thru the parts he had and unfortunatly didnt have much stuff. i did pick up a seat to suit, 2 alloy wheels which are 12mm (can they be change to 15mm?) a mikuni carb, not sure wat size, and some sprocket. all for $40 :D

havent had time to have a closer look at the frame and suspension still, although hoping tomorrow arvo i can pull everything apart and then sand back the frame ready for paint :D

Carl

Latest posts

Back