Type of chain

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joeymalt

Reaction score
Gday Techo's, (my first thread)

Just wandering, how you would go about identifying type of chain and length needed, i assume it is based on type of little sprocket, large one and the distance between the two, and no of teeth and pitch OD etc etc? Looking on the DHZ website there are two types #420, #428 and a no links etc.

Btw i searched this topic in tech talk and i couldnt see it mentioned already.

Thanks

it should be stamped on the side of the chain your using now...
it may also help if you told us wat bike you have..

Sorry Sean, I dont have a chain for it yet. Its a 90cc genuine thumpy. Do want no of teeth on sprockets etc...

gen thumpy, would probly be a 420 chain but it depends what sprockets you have fitted..
best thing to do is pull both prockets off and go down the moto shop and see

usually the length of chains is 120 links which is plenty

Thanks Sean, I'll do that Monday. Will I need to give em them any dimensions apart from the sprockets, to help identify.

I also have a problem with spark, Ive checked out the "no spark lifan 125" and hooperimports wiring diagram. I dont have a spare cdi unit. Should i start a new thread for this?

Hey Jeoymalt, You wont need anything else take in your sprockets and they will identify if it is 420# or 428#. And get a 120 link chain either D.I.D or RK they are both great chains and will last and perform great if you look after them. once you get home put sprockets back on and put the chain on and youll see how much you need to cut off if you do, make sure to leave some slack so that it has around 1" of play.

whats the spark issue?

oh and also some front and rear sprocket have the size stamped onto them.. just give em a good clean and have a look

To start take your plug out and reconnect it to the lead, Hold it close to the head (a few mm away) and kick it over with your hand if you can and see if it sparks if it does thats not the issue. If it doesnt i would try a new sparkplug first. Go to your local motobike shop doesnt need to be a pit bike shop and ask for a NGK CR7HSA spark plug. It it still doesnt i would try another cdi if you have one spare then it gets more complicated but try that for now and let us know how you go.

Good luck

Thanks Sean and Sam, will check stamping on the sprockets.

Ok the spark issue....No spark at all when i turn it over.

A bit of history, the wiring came in pieces, most of the wiring was there, except the harness was chopped and i matched the colors to the ignition key wiring lume. I bought a new coil for it but i didnt earth it as i assumed the system was earthed at the "starter motor" (i think thats what its called) The new coil came with different colored wires (will check tommorow) . I also bought a new battery. Now this afternoon i connected the battery wiring and the engine turned over, as soon as the battery was connected. I realised that i need to incorporate a starter switch somewhere. But in saying that whilst the engine was turning over there was no spark at all. Anyway Ive done alot of research on here tonight, so im ganna have another go tommorow, i.e check stator voltage etc....Unfortunately i dont have a spare cdi unit (My one is black, flat on one side and finned on the other side).

You sure thats not your voltage regulator the black on flat on one side and finned on the other? I dont know much about normal rotors and stuff sorry mate just know how to wire up IRK's and stuff...Good luck hope you get it working.

Man there is so much info out there, looked on utube, that flat black finned thing isnt the cdi unit (lol). If i disconnect the killswitch, will the circuit still be closed??

no you can disconnect the kill switch and it will be fine.. and same goes for the ignition switch depending how many wires it has..

i know you looked at the wiring diagrams but did you see all of them.. Hooper Imports Experts on Chinese Motorcycles and Parts, Engines it should be the first diagram if you have an e-start engine..

also if you could hook us up with a picture of your wiring we may be able to spot something...

this is wat the cdi would look like
cdi50200.jpg

and this is the rectifier/regulator
10005929.jpg

or
10003719.jpg

generally disconnecting the kill switch will not stop spark to the plug as all it does is give the spark a more direct earthing point than the spark plug
if you follow the directions in the link i put up you will correctly determine where the fault is very very easily

While your talkin bout chains whats the difference between the normal DID 420 and the proffesional 420 apart from the price?

Latest posts

Back