Upgrading my rear brake.

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cordogs

Reaction score
I couldn't find any decent threads solving this issue, and assuming this could be a common problem, was hoping a few of the vets could help me solve this one!

I'm wanting to upgrade my standard rear dpro brakes. The issue I'm having is the lack of feel in the pedal. At the moment even with the copper style brake pads they're either
on or off which can be a little frustrating on trail rides.
I understand that there's a good chance that the overall size of the wheel is a major part of the problem, but I'm also finding that even with the master cylinder adjusted there's still far to much travel with the rear brake lever between free roll and lock up.

Any help, links would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers boys! :)

A jap bike is a great place to find some awesome brakes. Not always a simple mod, but can be worth it. I've just got kx65 rear caliper and master cylinder then found they would need machined brackets to make them fit. I found a guy making these in states, now I'm just waiting for them to arrive.
The advantages are great once it's all sorted ie.
easy to bleed
easy to change pads
cheap and available pads
great feel to use

Can be an expensive exercise so up to you to decide if its worth it

Hey mate I'm just in the process of doing the same thing but just the nissin master cylinder of a yz250, most of the guys on planet minis are running the yz master with the kx caliper.
I'm waiting on my brake line to come in so i can finish hooking it up but can let you know how it goes/feels when done.
If you wanna go that option I could help you out with the bracket and link you to wear to get some bling brake lines from if you want.

Rode a bike with the Nissan master cylinder on the front, really really touchy, almost sent me over the bars a few times, way too much grab, had to pulse the lever as I could get no feel at all. I suppose you could get used to it though. Kosta seemed to have no issue at all with it.

Hey mate I'm just in the process of doing the same thing but just the nissin master cylinder of a yz250, most of the guys on planet minis are running the yz master with the kx caliper.
I'm waiting on my brake line to come in so i can finish hooking it up but can let you know how it goes/feels when done.
If you wanna go that option I could help you out with the bracket and link you to wear to get some bling brake lines from if you want.

Link me... Link me

Link me... Link me

Hey mate I'm on tapatalk at the moment so the best I can do is point you in the direction.
Google search, Ooracing brake lines, they sell earls color braided lines made to length and banjo options.
I hope that helps mate.

A jap bike is a great place to find some awesome brakes. Not always a simple mod, but can be worth it. I've just got kx65 rear caliper and master cylinder then found they would need machined brackets to make them fit. I found a guy making these in states, now I'm just waiting for them to arrive.
The advantages are great once it's all sorted ie.
easy to bleed
easy to change pads
cheap and available pads
great feel to use

Can be an expensive exercise so up to you to decide if its worth it

Definitely let us know mate when you get the brackets.

I so need to do this. Front is ok but my back brakes are junk and ridiculously time consuming to bleed.

Definitely let us know mate when you get the brackets.

I so need to do this. Front is ok but my back brakes are junk and ridiculously time consuming to bleed.

Depending on what you ride. Some are easier than others. But yeah that's exactly why we do it

LXR man.............

Sweet, I'd suggest yz85 caliper wr450 master. From what I've heard you can do all the custom fitting at home with a simple bracket for the master and spacers for the caliper

Have you seen Brendo's Nissin master cylinder bracket he made?

I don't have the tools to make one.

Was hoping you found somewhere to get them from?

How much dude?

KX85 brakes would be enough yeah?

The kx65 kx85 and kx100 is the same caliper. Japs commonly re-use the same component to keep costs down. I think you'll find it's also the exact same caliper on the rm. It works to our advantage tho because replacement pads are easy to find and cheap

Gary from SikTendanciesRacing made the adapter kit to run the yz250f or yz450f Nissin master cylinder. I'm guessing there must be something good about that master so I'd follow his lead on that one

Latest posts

Back