USD Fork problems!

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taggyy

Reaction score
Hey guys i drove my mates crf150r and i felt so safe on the bike it was so nice and smooth to ride. I got a cr125r 2001model and i got no idea what is wrong with my suspension and the front i really need it fixed i tryed adjusting the top part of it that says H <----> S but it doesnt really help all that much. What do you think the problem would be?

Last edited:
how much do you weigh?? the bike stock is for a 140-160lb rider.

The screw youve been playing with should be set at 12 clicks out from fully tight, and there is also the same thing on the bottom of the forks, it should be 10 clicks out from full tight.

You can change the oil weight in the forks too but thats more work, or the spring rate, can also re-valve.

What is the issue with the forks? to stiff? to soft? loading up? bouncing when landing?

The issue with the forks is like i just dont feel safe on it its very stiff and its not smooth compare to that bike i drove. I feel like im going to fall over if i go to fast its all bumpy over little bumps when i land over a big jump its nice but little bumps and stuff i feel like im going to crash.

the crf150 is a 4 stroke and way less powerful than the cr125, maybe you should get a yz250f?

the crf150 is a 4 stroke and way less powerful than the cr125, maybe you should get a yz250f?

...and the YZ250F is much more powerful than a CR125....

The CRF150 also handles a lot better over smaller bumps, because a: it's a lighter bike sprung for lighter riders. with your weight, it will be more compliant over smaller stuff.
B: The CRF150 is what, one, two years old? You said the CR125 is an '01 model... Suspension has come a long way since then, and the 01 CR125 wasnt renowned for being greatly suspended, particularly the forks...
C: The CR125 obviously hasnt been tuned for your speed, skill or weight....

as bse150cc stated, turn your adjustment clickers back to default settings... ie: turn the clickers on both the top, and the bottom of your fork legs all the way in. Then wind them all the way out, counting the clicks as you go. When it will no longer screw out, divide the number of clicks by 2 (this will give you your total range of adjustment clicks, and thus your halfway point)
When you have figured out your half way point, screw the adjustment clickers back in by that number of clicks.. ie: if you wind it all the way out, from all the way in, and count 22 clicks... then screw it back in by 11 clicks... Your forks compression and rebound adjusters are now in the middle.
Ride the bike around, and adjust it after you have seen how it now handles.
basically, the bit where it says H--S on your adjusters, means hard or soft... If you turn the adjusters towards S, the suspension gets softer... Turn it towards H and it gets harder... imagine that!!
For your speed and weight, if you're a bit of a noob rider, and a young fella not weighing much, i'd find the middle ground, adjust the compression about 6 clicks out from fully soft, and your rebound about 8-10 clicks out from fully soft... This should give it a bit of compliance over chattery ground, but still slow it down enough to keep the front end in a straight line during it's rebound stroke...
(compression stroke - where the forks move "up" and compress... Rebound stroke - where the forks extend, or "rebound")
The clickers on the bottom of the fork effect your compression, the clickers on the top of the fork effect your rebound...
if that doesnt help, we might see about a suspension adjustment thread in Tech Talk..

The issue with the forks is like i just dont feel safe on it its very stiff and its not smooth compare to that bike i drove. I feel like im going to fall over if i go to fast its all bumpy over little bumps when i land over a big jump its nice but little bumps and stuff i feel like im going to crash.

ps: just re-read this bit...
Too stiff on compression = wind the clickers on the bottom of the fork 4 clicks towards S-soft
This will effect handling on the ground, which is what's making it deflect over smaller stuff, but soaking up landings and big hits ok.
I had the same problem with my YZ-F400... bike model makes no difference, handling works the same regardless of the bike...
basically the best solution was to raise the fork oil height, and back off the compression adjustment. This meant it was compliant over small chattery stuff, but still had enough bottom resistance to cope with big landings, due to the extra oil in the forks..
If you wind your compression adjusters towards S, remember to wind your rebound adjusters 2 clicks towards hard. That's not a scientific rule, but every action has an opposite reaction...
With softer compression damping, the fork will use up more travel over smaller bumps. This in turn compresses the spring further, which creates more stored energy in the spring when it rebounds... (or extends) By screwing the Rebound adjuster 2 clicks towards Hard, this will assist in "slowing down" this stored energy... and hopefully keeps your front wheel tracking straight, instead of fighting you like it is now.. You'll also find this will help the front end track with confidence in flat turns. The forks compress, taking away some of the lateral force which is trying to push the bike sideways, and also lowers the centre of gravity to a point...

Hope that helped...

...and the YZ250F is much more powerful than a CR125....
I was just thinking maybe he doesn't feel safe because of the 2smoke power delivery, YZ250f is more powerful but he'd probably find it smoother and "safer" riding a 4stroke

but yeh I don't know anything about suspension, carry on :)

I was just thinking maybe he doesn't feel safe because of the 2smoke power delivery, YZ250f is more powerful but he'd probably find it smoother and "safer" riding a 4stroke

but yeh I don't know anything about suspension, carry on :)

You're quite right, the 250F would be smoother and are generally noted as being easier to ride than their peaky two stroke brethren... And thumpers generally do stick to the ground a lot better, and inspire more confidence in noob riders.. Sorry, my comment was based more on outright power being intimidating..
guess it depends on the kids riding skills, size, weight, and how big his parent wallets are as to how suitable a thumper might be... :D

Sounds like his handling and confidence issues are centred more around suspension than power delivery, and the 01 CR125 isnt exactly noted for outright horsepower... if memory serves, the power delivery on those bikes was pretty flat and broad.. useable easy power, just not a lot of it...

The power is not a problem i can handle it but ill try adjusting it how you said also can i go to a suspension shop that can adjust everything for me and will i be better off that way or doing it my self and you no how your saying how the adjusters are on top of the forks where are the other ones all the way on the bottom of the forks or just under the top 1 or is that to let air out of the forks?

By the way i weigh 60kilos im 15years old

Last edited:
The power is not a problem i can handle it but ill try adjusting it how you said also can i go to a suspension shop that can adjust everything for me and will i be better off that way or doing it my self and you no how your saying how the adjusters are on top of the forks where are the other ones all the way on the bottom of the forks or just under the top 1 or is that to let air out of the forks?

By the way i weigh 60kilos im 15years old

mate i think you will find that handling and suspension will make much more difference to a bike than power...
once you have a bit of a play with suspension clickers, you will find it's not that hard to alter it. the tricky bit is getting it right. Taking it to a bike shop, while getting your suspension for what they "think" is right for you, may be wrong altogether, and you wont learn anything...
The clickers in the centre of the fork cap/top, are the rebound adjusters, both left and right sides/forks...
The compression adjusters, which in your case sounds like the ones that need the work, you will find up underneath the fork leg, in the very centre of the fork leg. Quite often, there will be a little rubber plug covering the clicker adjuster... If there isnt a rubber plug, find some... they keep dirt out of the clickers...
You're right, the second screw on the top of the fork legs are just to let air out... and remember to undo the air bleed screws everytime you take your bike off the trailer after towing it somewhere... Air will build up in the forks, and can both effect your handling, and shorten the life of your fork seals..
hopefully that all helps, if not, i'll post up some pics in here to illustrate where the adjusters are, which ones are which, what fork action each clicker affects, and what direction to turn them to affect the fork action...

Yeah well ill have a look for my self tommoro after school if i have trouble finding the other adjuster ill let you no thanks so much for the help seriously it's helped me and my dad learn a lot ill let you no asap if i cant find it if you got the time just post the pic thanks so much thump take care :)

Just to help clarify a little bit, the clickers dont make the suspension any softer or any harder.

What the clickers do is adjust the valving inside the fork to allow more or less oil to flow through the dampening rod during the stroke.

So by adjusting them you either allow the fork to move faster (makes it feel softer) or move slower... if you go to many clicks on the soft, your bike will feel like its bouncing over the small stuff and get really choppy, to hard and the suspension will load up and now extend before you hit the next bump causing a horrible ride!!!

By the sounds of your issues and what thump 140 has said to do your going on the right track!! If you have the confidence to rip them apart i would be changing the oil in them, you dont know who has been in there and put what in it, get your self some good grade 5weight fork oil for the size of you that will work better. and set the oil level a little bit less then your manual states, it will give you a little more static sag and make it a little bit easier for you to ride the thing. i wont get to into detail as it will probably just get confusing haha. but adjust the clickers a bit so make the forks travel quicker so they dont load up, and i would change the oil if you can.

cheers

Yeah i will see what happens after h adjust everything i think the settings are up to shit if i do what you guys said and it turns out all crappy ill just take it 2 a shop to change the oil and all that so the bike feels good for me i can imagine if it was like my mates smoothness i would gun it no problems lol

Hey i found the adjuster all the way at the bottom but it looks like a rubber is covering it is it under that and how do i take it out?

Latest posts

Back