what 2 banger to get?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minibiker05

Reaction score
hi all my bro is planing on getting a 2 stroke well im helping him get it and im not sure if he should go 125 or 250 he isnt the fastest rider and its mostly going to be trails and bush riding he is only 14 i was thinking a 125 with flywheel weight and gear it up a bit but idk if it will be a waste and he will out grow it too fast and then have to get a 250 anyhelp would be great

go the 125 on the 250 he will be on the back wheel constantly lol

obviously he should get a ktm exc200, it is as light at a 125 but has power similar to a 250r, but it more torquey and tracable than a motocross bike

I went right to a 250 smoker, including punching it out to 265cc and porting it. When I want a mild ride I lug it. When I'm feeling silly I let it rip. The torque of the 250 is nice as I don't have to muck with feathering the clutch, etc.

i ride a yz85 and im nearly 16 it goes hard for what it is and got the power which i like and i ride trails and bush

i am a small 14 year old and i have a ktm 85 they have soo much power but would get small in a couple of years. i recon race 2 smokes are crap in the bush nice 4 stroke or de tuned 2 smoke

mate i reckon save the extra monies and get a four stroke if ya doing bush and trails.. that way ya can rego it if it can be and no hassle where ya ride it.. look at wr250fs or even ttr 250s if he learning etc or klx 250 or ktm 250 excfs or go bigger like the wr400 or wr426s or just go a mxr four banger like a yzf250 or kxf 250... just my two cents mate..

and yes i know ya can rego two bangers etc.. but that way with a four banger ya dnt have worry as much towards carrying oils n mixes all the time.. :)

ive got a 250f and im 15 i love it, as isey13 said above about getting a wr400 id kinda stay clear, they are so hard to start my dads got 1 they dont have auto decompression so it can be real tricky, specially when there hot and a bit heavy

honestly personal preference in which bike he wants

bush and trail rides!! he should be looking at a 250f mx bike, wouldnt worry about a rego'ed one cause obviously he's a little young..

250f in bush/trails are heaps better to ride purely because they have torque right off idle.

if he was still to choose a 2 banger then keeping his experience and age in mind it would be a 125, and if you do hill climbs and things like that then he will be beating the hell out of the 125's engine.. a 250 2 banger would just be way too powerful for him, unless he can control himself on the throttle..

also keep in mind than 99% of 2 bangers are going to eat spark plugs, thats just what they do. also they require more frequent engine work...

but end of the day no matter what you buy chances are he'll want something else within 12 months..

I have a wr400 man and it's the easiest thing to start I was thinking maybe an xr250 or 400 if I can get him to go 4 stroke And yet Sean I thought the two banger would require more work

my mate has a xr250 recently rebuild with a big bore 277 kit he was thinking about selling it ? which they are a great bike for the bush can't kill them :)

Yer what model and how much got about $1500-$2100 to spend I did find a really nice 94model xr250 for $1400 so there are some good buys out there just gotta get rid of my revmx so I can put some money towards it

Ive got an 85 xl250r and its a fantastic bike. Picked it up for $500 with only 10k on it. But really depends if you like 2's or 4's. I love 2 strokes because of the power and weight. But it really comes down to personal preference.

Latest posts

Back