What tyres do you use?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stumbows

Reaction score
I guys thinking about getting into mini motard and there are so many different tyre brands and models to choose from.

If anyone does mini motard can you tell me what tyres you use and how you find them for performance.

Thanks

Come on guys no one has replied to this yet?

I'd be happy to hear anyone's opinion as i have none of my own yet.

i use metzler tyres for motard, they heat up well & last for age's..

but ATM i'm using "Sava" Whitewall tyres but just hit the street with those, not any tracks

Yea well a mate of mine has been doing it for nearly 2 years now and has tried many different tyres over the time and swears by the Pilots says he is still yet to get em breaking on traction on the tar hitting corners and he has had Pirellis let go so they mustn't be too bad i reckon.

What size tires do you use. For example can you fit 120/70 tires on to a 1.85" wide rim, or will I have to stick to 90/90 size?

yea i am running 120s front and rear on 1.6F and 1.85R it looks like they are going to pop off the rim but they are fine.

ive used maxxis and duro. they r both fairly good. but now im goin to bridgestone bt601ss tyres. they r bout twice the price of the others so hopefully they r worth it:confused:

btw stumbows did u get those bars off pj?

ive used maxxis and duro. they r both fairly good. but now im goin to bridgestone bt601ss tyres. they r bout twice the price of the others so hopefully they r worth it:confused:

Sam please tell me where you are getting these from because i have tried numerous places trying to track down a set.

Thanks dude.

What size front rim you running? I've been looking for a 12" for the front, but no luck yet. Or do they happen to make 14" motard tyres?

I am running 12/12 but i have a 14 that i replace when riding on the dirt.

They do make tyres to suit both rims though and i've seen both setups being used.

really i didnt think they made a 14'' motard tyre? but the motorcycing australia rules say u need 12'' max size.

hunt around because u should be able to get 12'' rims easily

i went to the local bike shop and they ordered them from some bridgestone dealer in NSW, aparently they r hard to get onto though. so best bet is to do the rounds and see what they can do

cheers

After talking to a few tyres techs I have some info......

Advice given to me is as follows. This is for fitting to 12" 1.85 rims.
Michelin pilot sport (powers arent made in 12") are the best option for racing as they are the softest compound tyre. Getting a 120 profile (tyre width) tyre is going to bulge on the rim and it actually distorts the tyre hence changing its properties which doesnt benefit in any way. Infact its bad.
Using a 110 however will be the perfect fit as it wont distort meaning the tyre will keep its shape improving overall performance.

The difference between a larger (120) tyre is that it will provide more grip while the smaller (110) tyre will provide better turn in. Seeing as these mini motards arent all that powerful the better option is to have better turn in rather than better grip.... having said the above.... you may not even have better grip with the 120 as it is distorted and changes the tyre properties.

In conclusion: 120 is cheaper, looks better and MAY provide better grip while the 110 stays its shape and turns in better.

I have ordered the 110/90x12 pilot sport :)

Latest posts

Back