whats the problem with my clutch?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fauvelol

Reaction score
Hey all, I've been looking around the forums and can't seem to find a thread that has a similar problem to what I'm having, So I'm in the dark with this and decided to post.

So I'll start off by saying my bike was running amazing until I snapped a tooth off my clutch gear behind the basket, I replaced this and put it all back together properly, and upon doing so I disconnected the lower clutch cable lever to take the clutch cover off. So I'm assuming its a cable adjustment issue, probably because I haven't re-adjusted it correctly when I reconnected the cable to the bottom clutch cable lever and I just cant seem to find the sweet spot again.

Now,
In high rpms in each gear when I would ease off the throttle the bike would rev a little high and slow down proportionally like I was very, very lightly tapping on the brakes, Not a lot but noticeable.
So, me being annoyed it wasn't perfect I decided to get the tools out to fix it and only made it worse.
The lever doesn't disengage the clutch until about 1cm-5mm away from a full lever release and when I put it in gear and take off the bike revs a little higher than the speed its going.
So would I need to buy a new clutch or just tamper with adjustments more? It seems like such an easy thing to adjust in theory but for someone that's never done it practically, its a pain.

I adjusted it once more before I called it a day, I'll test it tomorrow and see where I stand from there and if its not right I'll inspect the plates I guess.

Cheers, Brae.

Last edited:
You want the cable adjusted so that the clutch lever on the bar's freely move's about 2mm-3mm before you start to feel it getting harder to pull
So it sound's to me like you need to loosen it off a bit at the top adjuster

You're everywhere man hahah. I spent about 2-3 hours today loosening and tightening 3 nuts, very productive day. Isn't it supposed to roll freely in gear with the clutch in? Is there any certain position I'm supposed to have the bottom clutch cable lever in from the start? I put it on and pushed it around until it was tough then attached the clutch cable to it so the cable was already tight. I just would like it sorted because as you know I have some presents coming from the mailman.
bars arrived from mxstore and they're a little wider than i hoped, I might cut them back half an inch on each side. I think my stuff from boyesen will arrive before DHZ :rolleyes:

Yeah the full size bar's are wider than the pit bike bar's.
You can cut them back to the same length as your original's, i took 3/4" of each end of mine but i'm only 5'6"

You need to back off the bottom cable adjuster nut's so it has about 3mm play there.
I just made a couple of quick video's showing how much movement mine has before it start's getting hard to pull the lever in.
It's got about 3mm free play on the clutch arm down the bottom on the engine, and about 4mm-5mm at the lever on the bar's.
To adjust it put your bike up on a milk crate or stand, and put it into 4th gear, adjust your cable so there is some free play.
Then pull the clutch in and turn the back wheel, it should spin pretty free, rock the back wheel a couple of time's and try turning the wheel while holding the clutch in if it doesn't spin, then the clutch should disengage.
Now slowly release the clutch lever and it should stop the back wheel turning about 3/4 of the way back when releasing the clutch lever.
Click on the pic's below to start the video's

Always a big help 67. After reading what you posted I adjusted it correctly today and its in working order, except the bike still slows proportionally after holding high revs for any amount of time in all gears as if I'm ever so softly feathering on the brakes or something, I don't know if its normal or I'm just hyper aware of movement and sound fearing I'll break something due to negligence or inexperience lol.
I don't have uni until Tuesday so I'll take the clutch cover off tomorrow sometime and have a look around to make sure everything seems okay.

Last edited:
I also fiddled with the idle and fuel screw.. god its so much quieter now.. i can actuallysomewhat talk over the engine but before it was deafening hahaha. Just want my stuff to arrive :beerchug:

With the bike slowing, do you mean when you hold it at full throttle it get's to a certain point then start's to die off sort of thing?

What carby/filter are you running, an Oko 26mm and UniFilter ?
Do you know what jetting is in it?
And how many turn's out is your mixture screw from fully done up (not too tight)

I'm thinking it may be running a bit lean in the top end ?

was going to explain that a bit better after I installed my new bits... kind of ran into a problem..1442207625697.jpg
1442207708822.jpg1442207870421.jpg

Attachments

• 1442206173860.jpg
    1442206173860.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 4
That is just a neutral start switch, it's rarely used in pit bike's you don't need it.
At the top of your loom where the stator wiring plug's into your main harness there will be a spare green w/red stripe wire, this run's down to the neutral switch.

Do you have a bench or angle grinder?
If you do then you can just grind off the raised centre section so it's flush
Just cut the green w/red stripe wire off and tuck it back into the insulation
You can pull it out of the insulation from the top once the wire is cut at the bottom.
That metal retainer and screw can be left off too when you fit the rubber back in

Cut the bars back, cover and seat on. I'll get around to changing the front sprocket over, putting the new chain on and giving it a good clean.
have to help a mate do a few tip trips tomorrow after uni :LAME:
I'll post a pic my bike atm

/ IMG20150914175422.jpg
new set of white plastics too, just waiting for my graphics kit to arrive. been watching a lot of tutorials so I dont **** it up lmao

finnaly got sent a proof for my graphics, cant wait. save a bit of coin to go into engine mods now I suppose ;)
but yeah, the revs gradually get faster than the bike accelerating in high revs, it revs out and the bike very.. very slowly tries to match the rpms, so I let off the throttle so im not doing any harm and then it slows down way too fast, if youre gazing off into the distance not paying attention it will slide you up the seat or throw you into the handlebars a bit.
yeah it's an oko 26. not intirely sure how many screw outs the mixture screw is at the moment, tamptered with it today but had to drop what i was doing to help a friend.

Latest posts

Back