Wheel bearing loose in hub, how'd that happen?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dessy

Reaction score
G'day,

I have a Motovert I have ridden once (last weekend) and when I was cleaning it I noticed the rear wheel had some free play. I removed the wheel and the brake side wheel bearing was totally destroyed. The only piece that was intact was the inner metal ring still on the axle. There were a few fragments inside the hub but that was about it. I am surprised the bike was able to move at all and even more surprised I didn't feel anything while riding.

I knocked out the bearing on the other side with the plan of taking it to a bearing shop to make sure I got the correct replacement set. I put the intact bearing on the brake side to make sure it matched and was surprised that it slid straight in. I checked the parts diagram and they are the same bearing on both sides however the brake side is 1-2mm wider (36-37mm compared to 35mm)?? I thought the hub might be damaged but it looks ok without any gouges or obvious wear?

Manufacturing fault? Caused by the destroyed bearing (not sure how as it looks ok)? Known issue?

I have new bearings (15x35) on the way but I suspect I will need a new wheel which does not fill me with joy. Any suggestions on which rims to get or any other solutions?

Cheers.

how old is the bike? any chances of warranty?

this problem is pretty common caused by shot bearings flogging around in the hub and wearing it out bigger..

you can install the new bearing and peen the hub with a center punch, it doesnt close the hole up much but stops the bearing coming out during wheel assembly .

you might say its a manufacturing issue but more in the sense of the alloy being used being the wrong grade... get what ya pay for..

the rims i would buy to replace them would be PSTO or Pitster LXR rims.. but youll have to do the wheel spacing and maybe adjust the rear brake setup..

Last edited:
eh cheap chinese bearings

there 6202 bearings get decent jap ones and you will find the tolerances will be a bit better you will find the hub is maybe out of tolerance as well a bit of loctite 641 or 609 will lock up that gap easy

have fun

Thanks guys I will try the loctite as a Plan A and go from there. Cheers:thumbup:

Latest posts

Back