wheel bearing only lasting 1 day???

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pitmaster

Reaction score
The original rear wheel bearings went bust 2 weekends ago, so i replaced them with the same bearing but a NTN brand, went riding for 5 hours that day and noticed when cleaning the back wheel has side ways wobble in the bearings AGAIN!

replaced again this week with NTN bearings, went riding all day today, ive just got home and guess what the bearings are wobbly for the SECOND TIME,

anyone got any ideas as to why they are not lasting more than A SINGLE DAY?????

Your greasing them, correct? What is NTN? Probably just cheap shitty bearings?.

If the first set crunched on first ride, why did you buy the same brand the second time? Try another brand bearing

Can it be a case of a worn-out hub?
My rear hub is wobbly not due to the bearing, but because the bearing was sitting loose in the hub.

Pitmaster.
I have seen this problem previously,it is usually caused by the wheel bearing spacer rod that is fitted between the wheel bearings inside the hub being a little too short.This causes the inner races on the wheel bearings to be squeezed inwards when tightening the axle and destroying the wheel bearings in a very short time.
If the spacer rod is too short the easiest fix other than making a new one up is to source a shim washer and glue it on the end of the rod with a little RTV or Silastic and re-fit it inside the hub.All the load [thrust]from tightening the axle nut is then placed on the correct areas allowing the wheel to spin easily..
I have even bikes with that have bearings fitted to hubs with no hub bearing spacer rod fitted.Makes for a very hard to turn whell when the axle is tightened LOL..............
Hope this helps !

Brian

the post by mainlands is your problem

fix yor spacers so they fit correct it may also be a case of the ntn bearing being a smaller diamiter on the centrer runner thus when you tightn the axel it is puting undew preassure on the bearing it self

when done up correctly the whell should free spin easy as the only thing to slow the spin in the brakeshoe thus if you still have problems take of rear brake do rear wheel again and spin with out shoe's in see how she spins

hope ya fix it

oh if at alll possible post a pic close up' of your wheel and axel installed and maybe some 1 here can tell you where your going wrong

Thanks guys, ive got the day off today, so ill go check your theorys soon,

NTN bearings are pretty high quality IMO, we use them in all our $150,000+ printing presses at work,

But yes i think Maylands is correct cause i do remember the inner tube not having a very good fit when i replaced the bearings, but didnt realise thats the problem at the time!

Cheers Fellas

yep i would say your hub is rooted & the bearing is not sitting correctly casuing it to wear out rapidly.

Maybe NTN is sourcing their bearings from the Wundailong Bearing Co in China ....... :eek:

Latest posts

Back