Where to buy / how to make cammed throttle ?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MasterSpoon

Reaction score
Ok after a recent off where my throttle housing got smashed I replaced it with a billet throttle that is a 1/4 turn. While this is much better quality and then my stock pitpro throttle I'm not a fan of the whole 1/4 turn as it was making it that little bit harder to get back on the throttle sooner.

So where can you buy a cammed throttle? (that won't cost me to much)

Or is it possible to actually make a cammed throttle yourself? Theoretically all you would have to do is remove some material from the first piece of the throttle lobe to do it right or am I going crazy ?

you can remove material from the throttle to get the action desired.
the best way i've found is using mega line grinding discs (they're not designed for cast but being thin don't have a tendancy to clog up.

It's great to see a few guys who understand how quick action throttles can cause hesitation as well as too much power when you don't want it .......

You'd also need to redrill the hole for the cable nipple closer in to the throttle tube to slow down initial slide opening speed ......

They sting you hard for anything new that they come up with ....

Cammedthrottletubes.jpg

G2 Throttle Cam System

Last edited:
cheers cactus jack that picture tells a thousand words !!

When you redrill the hole do you just redrill it over the existing one just down a little and pretty much just make it an oval ? will the slack at the top cause issues or should it pull inwards as soon as you start turning the throttle ?

so with the tappered ones your saying theres more "feel" low down??? i would think so but am unsure, i read about those tubes a while ago but have since forgotten the info

yeah tubes the idea is make fine throttle control during the first part of throttle opening much more controllable. Here is some info on the ones that Cactus Jack posted up

"CAM 100 - use when conditions offer near perfect traction - same as stock profile.
CAM 200 - use for intermediate conditions or moderately technical trails. 8-10% slower throttle opening during the first 1/3 of throttle opening, same overall twist distance to full throttle.
CAM 400 - use for slippery, technical, tight trail conditions. 15-20% slower throttle opening during the first 1/3 of throttle opening, same overall twist distance to full throttle."

cheers cactus jack that picture tells a thousand words !!

When you redrill the hole do you just redrill it over the existing one just down a little and pretty much just make it an oval ? will the slack at the top cause issues or should it pull inwards as soon as you start turning the throttle ?

You'd have to block up the existing hole and re drill it further in or drill the new one wherever you can if it's possible ....

I'm sure you can understand that if you don't shorten the turning radius of the cable attachment hole then the cable will still pull at the same speed from off idle as it already does ...... regardless of the shape of the cam .... a bigger bump in the cam will make it open faster than stock when it lifts the cable to a bigger radius .... I understand that from my engineering trade but if anyone doubts it ... simply scale the pics of the different throttles .....

What I'm saying is that if you have a big carb that bogs when you hit the throttle too quickly off idle or down low ...... then the right shaped cam will solve the problem ....

I program my brain to always twist the throttle in varying stages going off experience from 24 mm round slide carbs on 80 cc 4 stroke engines which anyone can bog by throttling too fast .... You get to know when you can or can't give it full throttle instinctively by listening to the engine engine sound and rpm ..... I doubt if any pit bike engine would have too much power off idle .....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back