Which battery for electric start?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wendell

Reaction score
My Atomik 70cc will no longer start with the electric start. I figure the problem is the cheap battery it came with because even though I charged it on a charger every week or so the voltage wouldn't hold. What's the cheapest proper battery that would do the job? How about a gel cell - they cost roughly $30 and have a low discharge rate, much lower than a typical wet car battery, so you'd only have to charge it every few months if you weren't riding the bike. But are they suitable for engine starting which needs a lot of power suddenly for just a few seconds?

How does a gel cell compare to a proper small wet motorbike battery in effectiveness and cost?
Thanks.

idk but the original battery that came with my pp250sx has nevre gone flat so if ur near epping mc go ask the wat battery they put in them and get 1 they are good

just go to a bike shop and get a 4amp hour battery. thats what we use in or 70cc bike, they cost us $25

most of us don't run em .... faaar too much weight.... get rid of it and kick it

Bored again are you Dreadful? See the duplicate of this post if you're feeling feisty :p

As for sensible posts:
2freeq: Is that a standard wet cell? How long do they last and how often do they need to be charged, whether by riding or on a charger.

Don't post the same thing in two threads ...I just deleted your other thread .

gets confusing for people following the thread so keep it all here huh .;)

As for the advice ...it was just that mate ...most don't think the kilos of weight is worth it :cool:

well the bikes we run those batteries in have a charge wire so they dont need charging, i`ve had bikes come in for a service after 3 - 4 months and the batteries are still strong

What a poor effort by a moderator. Funny how you deleted the better of the two threads (when you didn't HAVE to delete anything). The real reason you deleted it is because it made you look silly. Which you are showing YET AGAIN by telling me the same thing, when it's clear I want the battery and starter - no one has to be told that they can kickstart the bike "der - so that's what that stick poking out of the side is for!"
Are you going to be a coward and delete this one too?

For the record: I obviously didn't purposely post two threads, it just happened, one of those annoying computer things. I even tried to delete one of them immediately but was unable despite hitting what was supposedly the delete button.

Back on topic and trying to make up for lost info: does anyone know of gel cells of normal starter battery size being used succesfully long term for starting?

its only a 70, id be guessing a standard 4Ah battery, be it gel or wet, will work no probs...get a decent brand though;) china dont take much care...

and lol, bring back the biff!:p i like bitching:)

its only a 70, id be guessing a standard 4Ah battery, be it gel or wet, will work no probs...get a decent brand though;) china dont take much care...

and lol, bring back the biff!:p i like bitching:)

Haha... it's always good to have a little but of controversy, but maybe we've had enough today considering the whole DHZ 150 thing... But yeah i think that anny battery will do. I think that gel could be better as the acid wont spill out when jumping or hitting bumps and stuff. I have heard that really cold can be bad for gel batteries though, like they won't charge and cells die when it gets really cold.

I have a 110 thumpstar. I use a 12v Roadstar battery. Works great. I'd say thats the go, you could probably use a 6v one. Either one would work. I bought mine from Frasers Motorcycles in Broadmeadow, Newcastle and it set me back $45.00. For a half decent 12v battery that will last you a while, you'll probably pay around that anyways. Ebay is another option but i wouldnt trust some people. Goodluck!

Thanks guys.

Douf (and anyone else): do you know how long you can leave your bike without charging it in any way, and still have fullish power in it? Which by the way, doesn't mean I'd use the battery to cold start it. The point is starter type batteries should always be at full charge or they'll have a shortened life.

Re: the biff. Sorry, because I don't look for fights, despite how that may have appeared. But I'm glad you have a sense of humour and that it didn't escalate (people can go crazy online :eek:.

Latest posts

Back