WR250F or WR450F

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minibiker05

Reaction score
i know this isnt mini related but heaps of my mates say the 450 and the guy at shop said the 250 as im buying brand new i dont want to make the wrong choice i way bout 75kgs and my riding ability is prob avarage what do u guys reckon the 250 is 12,000 ride away and the 450 is 12,800 ride away

Have your ridden a bigger bike before?

What are your plans, mainly just bush riding?

250f if your riding ability is just "average" 450 in the hands of inexperience can be a deadly mixture.

id go the 450 but i been riding for over 22yrs..

they arent for novice riders and unless you are good on throttle control you may be in for a ride of your life..
there also a little heavier..

just picture a really good 250 2 stroker's power, well the 450 while having the same if not more power is right from idle not like a 2 stroker and a little up the rev range..

yer i have ridden bigger bikes before u have owned a cr125 and a kdx200 and ive ridden my uncles xr650 as well ive ridden one of my mates crf450 but its had heaps of work done to it and it scares the livving shitt out of me

ok, well a cr125, kdx200 and xr650 has absolutely nothing compared to a 450..
if you could handle the crf450 well then you might be ok.

and wat sort of work has the crf had done to it, just so i can get an idea on power

well if that scares you then a wr450 will more than likely scare you too..

by any chance did you ride the crf before the mods had been done

You should be able to judge for yourself weather or not you can handle the 450 or not. If it scared the shit out of you then yeh, thats a four fif' for ya, not many people can use the full potential of the 450f power.

They are also alot heavier than the 250s, making them harder to throw into corners ect, plus with the extra bite of power they can be a difficult beast to try and tame. As sean01 said throttle control is crucial, if you find yourself struggling to hold on and accidentally give the throttle an extra twist, you may find yourself tree bound.... not pretty

yeah well, as an example my bro recently brought a 2006 wr450, virtually stock.
while his last bike was a kdx 250 over 15yrs ago he has ridden alot of my bikes and i class him as an above average rider..
but seeing him on a 450 literally makes my scared for his life...he cannot control it one bit unless he putts around like a pussy..
he's riden it about 5 times now totaling about 10hrs, he's slowly getting the hang of the hang the fuk on type riding style you need..
oh and he has stacked it about 5 times so far. i hate turning around to go peel him of the track..(bush riding)

lol yer i never rode the 450 stock i rode his crf250 stock it was a fun bike to ride maybe the 250 may be the winner i just dont want to get it and in a years time be wishing i had got the 450 would a cr500 be close coz i rode my uncles old one and would never get back on it lol

cr500 is the beast among all trail bikes mate... the power of a 450 is similar but nowhere near as deadly.

the yz490 is still to date my favorite bike..

well go the 250 and if its not quite you then trade it before its first service..
on another note, hasnt any bike shops offered you a test ride on a 450 yet? get on one and give it a good trial..

also what i think makes it hard is there should be a bike in between the 250 and 450... for me 250's just dont cut it as its like riding a upgraded 125 power wise..
they should of made a 350 or something..

but yeah just test ride and follow your nerves

cr500 are just insanity they are just too hard to ride but the wr450 motor will be abit tamer then the crf450 because its more of an enduro bike but if your going 09 or 2010 the wr450 is the best way to go , it had won all the shoot outs and its not hard or scary to ride a 450 you just have to know how to ride it . i mean you have controll of the throttle and you can make it go as fast as you want it too.

Hey sean have you checked out the new 350 from KTM? i'll see if i can find a link to the write up. I think it was in last months ADB magazine.

Latest posts

Back