Wr450f vs crf250

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

locko90

Reaction score
Hey all, i need help deciding if i should swap my 05 wr450f for an 05 crf250.

What in your opinion is a better bike?

I myself like the 450 power but its a heavy bike. Will the crf be much lighter ? And it still have enough power to be fun.

The crf is in really good cond as you can see with photos.

My wr on the other hand has a few problems and needs fixing it runs and rides fine though.

Is it worth keeping the wr and doing it up or swaping for a bike thats good to go.

Is there anything i should watch out for with the 05 crf 250s.

Problems with the wr:
Chain has come off and cracked engine case. Previous owner has used some metal glue stuff to seal up case but it still leaks for the seal on clutch arm and will need to be fixed before taking bike on a proper trail ride.
Front break caliper seems to have only about 1/4 stoping power.
When running engine dosent seem to charge battery. (Had to push it home one time when it stalled and had a flat battey)
Front fork seal is leaking.

What would you guys do take the crf or the wr and why ??
762bc154cef6ef1fe581964ad1750638.jpg
4838542492437c275af9a81042da6879.jpg
72c27c1f04cc609bcfdd4cae1ed5de56.jpg
0a7db8ccd967a5ca4d206ec88e5dd628.jpg

The crf
c3f22a19408c1b8040097dbf6d0ad5ef.jpg
489f03c81bb734ada93755837d822ab1.jpg
417e3324b7006314af3db6a502a90cf9.jpg

Heres a vid of the wr running its runs allright.

[video=youtube;a5WMKgIkv3w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5WMKgIkv3w[/video]

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Last edited:
In this situation is believe you're better off to swap to fix those problems youll need to split the cases and get a new case for it.
So as much as it personally dislike Hondas and love Yamaha's your best bet would be to grab that Honda.

Bloody Yamaha riders, get the HONDA

I'm wondering if that CRF250 might have been thrashed being that it's only a 250cc ?
You might soon get sick of it and want something bigger, you have to ride the 250 a fair bit harder to get the same sort of performance as your 450
Power wise the 250 should have enough power to do anything you want on it, you're forgetting you ride pit bike's with very little power too.

Hey mate, i know its one of those things that people say, but if i were you at this point in time i'd wait a bit and invest my money in something a bit more reliable.
The CRFs had major valve problems. And the cracked case on the WR could be a bigger problem than you think. If not treated properly the vibrations created by the engine could form hairline cracks.
What sort of riding are you planning on doing? Bush riding or Motocross?
I hope i dont come across as rude but ive been in that boat, but i waited it out a bit longer and saved a bit more and my bike hasnt given me a single bit of trouble at all.

Sent from my HTC_0P6B6 using Tapatalk

I reckon its one of those better the devil you know situations. Who know what's wrong with the crf, you could be up for a lot more heartbreak once you swap bikes. If it were me, I'd download the factory manual off the net, buy a left case, gaskets/seals and have a go and fix it. If your not the best mechanically, pull out the engine, clean it all up and bribe your most mechanically inclined mate with beer and the promise of a ride when its sorted. Make sure you put on a chain saver on the cases when you're done as it would have stopped the crack you have now if it was fitted. Brakes shouldn't be too hard to work out. That way for a few hundred you will end up with a nice bike
03 05 WR 450 Left Case with Good Crank | eBay

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back