Yamaha GT80: Points to Solid State Ignition Quest

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Klockwerken

Reaction score
Hi Everyone:

Looking to see if anyone has any experience in successfully converting an old Yamaha GT80 (All Series) from OEM points/condenser ignition system to a solid state system.

Ideally, it can be a Frankenstein of borrowed / off-the-shelf parts from other makes and models...makes no difference to me as long as it works.

Also, if that is not a viable option, I would be interested in buying a tried and true WORKING stator assembly with matching undamaged flywheel from anyone parting out a GT80. I have several bikes and all of which are too nice to part out as a donor bike.

I am certain that someone has successfully converted a GT80 to solid state so let me know! Thanks everyone!

Welcome to Minirider's

First up drop in here and Introduce Yourself
Introduction thread

Aren't you not a fan of point's ignition's ?
They are very reliable when rebuilt.

Did you still want to run the headlight/tail light etc ?

I'd be looking at the early stator's of say a YZ80D/E or even a PW80, you will need the matching cdi as well for the conversion.
It shouldn't be too hard to match up the magneto wiring to your original harness
The hardest part will be working out what orientation to mount the new stator plate at to make the timing correct

Latest posts

Back