Yamaha V50D - 1971 model

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alwayscurious

Reaction score
Don't laugh at me.. I bought this out of gumtree for $25.

Yamaha_Scooter_Original.jpg

Yamaha_Scooter_Original2.jpg

More of what it SHOULD look like

V50_1971_needed.JPG

Not exactly a dirt bike or pit bike, but interesting project none the less.

Any tips for Jap Scooters?

This is getting to be a bit of an obsession...

What a gem! It's go so much potential..
Advice? Fab a fat swinga, chuck a fat tyre on the back and drop it down loww! :D
I've seen a few of these look pimpin, and it's all the in the name of fun anyway

Cool, there's a crew modding the honda scooters they have a big race every year ... and then there's the thai's they have some kidding scooters ... first thing is to find out what it needs and where ya can get it .

aye. I know at least i need fairings and such if it's to go back on the road. And new seat! never seen foam crumble so badly.

Dunno how the engine is - might have to take it apart like I did the China Bike.

Ahahah I want 1 . Strip it down and see what it needs then search eBay and hope for the best to find parts. Looks like a cool project . So u want to restore it and get it on the road?? Put it in the bar ? What's the plan ?.

Cool! Almost all those all old Yamaha laydowns share roots. FS1, JT1, Chappy, PW's etc. Athena still has big bores, and the series was made by the millions, or nearly so. Should be easy to eBay parts, or Google the Asian markets. Cheers for stepping off the beaten path a step-through or two. Any body can freshen a Passport:action-smiley-035:

Available fairly recently?
http://www.yamaha-motor.co.jp/news/2005/08/24/mate.html

Last edited:
That thing is sweet, id be going a full ORIGINAL resto on it! Maybe just a bigger china donk to help it motor along.

China mill? MF, indeed:eek:

60-65cc big bore, a couple mm more carb, stealthy pipe, make them poppet-valver's suck some 2-stroke fumes.

Hey Dudes - I want to go down the Full Restoration path. If I can go original I will. Else I'll make it as Retro as possible. What can I say, I'm an addict.

Is there a support group?

I suspect there'll be a longer timeframe between this one and the Orion I did up with my son. Because the parts are so hard to find cheap!

Still - it should be fun.

I plan to strip it to nuts and bolts carefully over time, washing & carefully restoring each piece!

Giggidy!

Strip the carb, ensure compression and kick the b1tch... If it doesn't run, it's time to work on it; I love simple engines ;)

Woot Woot! I found a helpful bloke. If ever you need old bits and stuff - talk to TOM from spare parts at ProMoto at Slacks creek.

Brilliant customer service, really knows his stuff. Doesn't laugh when you mention your passion for old bikes. :)

And he helped me find one of the parts I need cheap! brilliant. One inspection cover (round, magneto inspection cover) on it's way. :) :) :)

So we're getting there. I've also got bids in for some manuals and bits and pieces (like foot peg rubbers etc).

If you see a fairing going cheap - let me know!

Bought a Manual today off Ebay: haynes Yamaha V50 , 70 , 90 moped manual (eBay item 310297985125 end time 26-Feb-11 20:31:58 AEDST) : Vehicle Parts Accessories

Might take a while to get here but hey.

Also I had an encouraging sign - I ripped the engine out - put it on my working drum & turned it over with spark plug out. I got ONE very faint spark out of it. before that I had none!!

So I am going to check the coil, and I'll clean & set the points.
Found some instructions on setting the points gap on Mopeds here (about 0.016") clearance, at the "F" mark (just before TDC)

Question for techos: Can the coil off a Pit bike (CDI & Coil) work on a magneto /points type bike (Magneto, Points & Coil?)

Not sure - I hope so. I'll test it using the High Powered Red coil I've got on the pit bike at the moment.

I got the magneto flywheel off OK. In the process of unscrewing the Neutral indicator plug (plastic) it sheared off. :(

So I might have to live with no Neutral light until I can get a new one made up or purchased. Damn shame but the old plastic is so brittle, I'm not surprised.

Got the carby off too. Have to purchase myself a new can of carby cleaner. Used up the old one squirting into my eye. :D

Anyway - we're getting there!

LOL great stuff mate, hanging out for the next set of pics to be posted!

Remember you safety specs next time your swinging off a can of carby cleaner lol

Latest posts

Back