Your gonna hate me, But I just bought a Nitrous 160.

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldhack

Reaction score
Sorry about yet another Atomik thread guys, It's all I could afford though!
Ok so I just won the Nitrous off E-gay for $615, not too bad I thought.
When it arrives I will put it togeter as per Thump140's reccomendations in his thread 'actung noobs' and I will also set the valve clearances before first ride and after run in.
From my previous post I have learned that I should swap the chain to DID or RK so I don't smash the cases. There were also suggestions of Uni filter and NGK Iridium spark plug as good cheap upgrades.
So after post and new oil and the chain I have $250 left over for go fast/better quality bits for it (not much I know).
Sooo here goes, What to buy with that money that is going to either make the bike more reliable, FASTER, or improve the feel of the thing?
Am I on the right track with the NGK and Uni?
I must admit I was thinkin OKO Flatslide (26 or 28mm??) and a jet kit?
Anyways, thanks again for your help.
oldhack. :D:D

**edit** ps. i dont hate you:p

that money might not be much is aus... but china... lol

yes, ngk is a go, uni yep, an idea to buy some spare levers (or buy better ones and keep stock ones as spare), (if it dont have it) a cnc throttle(1/4 turn), spare tubes ar an idea, and yes get a DID or RK, i think they got shitty tyres ay? if they do you want atleast a kenda rear.

Last edited:
Hey Guys,

Im in the same boat as oldhack, awaiting the arrival of my Nitrous 160 too.

I was looking at doing similar upgrades (chain, unifilter) and was wondering if anyone knew what size unifilter would fit the standard molkt carby? 44mm?

And also which chain to go for? #420? #428?

Sorry im new to all of this!

the chain will depend on what sprockets you have.
nitrous are stock with 428 so you should keep it!
buy a DID or RK

also there are other things that may be a good idea in my first post^^^ not sure if its helpful tho:p

Mattbombers:
Thanks for the info mate.
Was thinkin the DHZ OKO kit which is listed with 1/8th turn throttle. Are those throttles any good? or am I better off to just buy the carb and throttle etc seperate and go for 1/4 turn?
-Tyres (rear first) are on the list as early replacement but will thrash the stockies first.
-Spare tube and levers are a good idea to, will look into it.
-Atomik list the bike as having a KMC #420 Chain. Is this a typo? I see you stated above it's a 428. This is my first mod so don't wanna order the wrong thing!
Thanks,
oldhack

Last edited:
Mattbombers:
Thanks for the info mate.
Was thinkin the DHZ OKO kit which is listed with 1/8th turn throttle. Are those throttles any good? or am I better off to just buy the carb and throttle etc seperate and go for 1/4 turn?
-Tyres (rear first) are on the list as early replacement but will thrash the stockies first.
-Spare tube and levers are a good idea to, will look into it.
-Atomik list the bike as having a KMC #420 Chain. Is this a typo? I see you stated above it's a 428. This is my first mod so don't wanna order the wrong thing!
Thanks,
oldhack

ahh actuly, in the pic it says "KMC #428 Chain" but year down further it says "KMC #420 Chain"? lol weird.
in the pic it looks like a 428? not sure
umm yes, smash the old tyres:p if ya get bored keep em for doies! bahaha

**edit** the throttle, i guess its what you prefer... i just realiesed i got a 1/8 joker throttle so yeh it is realy what you would prefer?

Last edited:
1/8 throttles are no good

It comes with a denso plug from memeory to no need to upgrade

chain is 428 and a very good first upgrade
oko flatty carby with 36 / 102 jets, plus a 1/4 throttle from ebay china cuz they cheaper
some nice grips, protapers but U best wasit til u bend the stock bars
no point upgrading tubes n tires until u destroy the stockers, just keep the rear PSI around 25 so the tire doesn't spin on the rim, and when u do do a tube or tire install a rimlock so u can run lower PSI
If you don't don't go the carby upgrade then yea def go a unifilter on the molkt
levers will be fine, upgrade them when/if you break em
rear shock is very soft so a fastace in the rear will serve you well, this can be had for under $150

I'd just hold ya cash if ya got spare n then U got backup $ if something breaks

It's good to hear you're gonna set your valve clearance BEFORE the trouble starts ;)

Congrats Oldhack... Was wondering which one you scored as another went for over $700! :S

Good luck with the setup, get some pics up once you've got it looking pretty ;)

1/8 throttles are no good

It comes with a denso plug from memeory to no need to upgrade

chain is 428 and a very good first upgrade
oko flatty carby with 36 / 102 jets, plus a 1/4 throttle from ebay china cuz they cheaper
some nice grips, protapers but U best wasit til u bend the stock bars
no point upgrading tubes n tires until u destroy the stockers, just keep the rear PSI around 25 so the tire doesn't spin on the rim, and when u do do a tube or tire install a rimlock so u can run lower PSI
If you don't don't go the carby upgrade then yea def go a unifilter on the molkt
levers will be fine, upgrade them when/if you break em
rear shock is very soft so a fastace in the rear will serve you well, this can be had for under $150

I'd just hold ya cash if ya got spare n then U got backup $ if something breaks

It's good to hear you're gonna set your valve clearance BEFORE the trouble starts ;)

Cheers for the top info DvDRip. It makes alot of sense.
I will check the plug and buy a 428 Chain for it straight up.
-What fastace shock are you refering to for under $150? Remembering I weight a good 80kg and have a fair bit of riding experience (just not on minis) Would it still suit or would you go for something else?

-I just found a 1/4 turn billet throttle on E-bay for 23.50 delivered. Apparently the bloke has a few layin around and they brand new. It doesnt look like they have a pulley system to turn the throttle quicker, Has anyone seen used one of these? I am wondering if I just bought something that is actually only gonna give me 1/4 throttle, not full throttle at 1/4 turn, Hmmm.... BUGGER! :mad:BILLET 1/4 TURN THROTTLE XR CRF KX 50 125 250 PITBIKE - eBay, Other Accessories, Motorcycle Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 02-Apr-10 23:04:30 AEDST)

Been reading through Thump140's-Performance upgrades guidelines. Great work Thump! Saves me and all the others LOTS of questions and all you good blokes on the forum being asked the same questions day in day out, Great reading!
So I will be throwing on a CDI and as you suggested bars and grips as soon as I bend the stockies. Then the OKO and UNI.
Cheers guys,
oldhack

Congrats Oldhack... Was wondering which one you scored as another went for over $700! :S

Good luck with the setup, get some pics up once you've got it looking pretty ;)

Yeah I set myself a limit of $650 so was reasonably happy at $615. Would love to have got if for under $500 but hey, as long as there are people on E-bay who bid days before the auction ends then the price will be inflated :rolleyes:. HEAPS cheaper than the $1400 + Freight :eek:Atomik quoted me though :D
Good luck with yours in the future. They have had heaps on this week so one ends everyday. Just wait it out till you get 1 cheap.
oldhack

Yeah I set myself a limit of $650 so was reasonably happy at $615. Would love to have got if for under $500 but hey, as long as there are people on E-bay who bid days before the auction ends then the price will be inflated :rolleyes:. HEAPS cheaper than the $1400 + Freight :eek:Atomik quoted me though :D
Good luck with yours in the future. They have had heaps on this week so one ends everyday. Just wait it out till you get 1 cheap.
oldhack

My thoughts exactly, even down to the $650 limit!

Have had a heap of interest in my CB so hopefully it sells this week, I'm itching to build my mini-motard! :D

(Is there a cream for that?)

My thoughts exactly, even down to the $650 limit!

Have had a heap of interest in my CB so hopefully it sells this week, I'm itching to build my mini-motard! :D

(Is there a cream for that?)

Good luck with that CB sale mate. I wonder if I can get the local cart track interested in motard...Hmmm there goes some more $$$ if so!

your rear tyre will go bald pretty damn quick as I experienced so set aside money for a new tyre.
grips are a must lol

Yeah I totally expect that to happen. The minister for finance and recreation wont approve a new one until I shred the old though :rolleyes:
Ha ha ha
oldhack.

Good luck with that CB sale mate. I wonder if I can get the local cart track interested in motard...Hmmm there goes some more $$$ if so!

That's what bikes are for isn't it? I swear I'd own a house by now if I hadn't had so many bikes over the years ;)

Shock and cable

oldhack ur gonna need a cable for that throttle to work, like this with the curve but check the length CURVE STAINLESS BRAIDED THROTTLE CABLE CRF50 PITBIKE : eBay Motors (item 150417097381 end time Mar-24-10 15:14:27 PDT)
and yea that throttle is the right price, U can get em cheaper but yea u did ok... it is a 1/4 just a different type
with the shock look at fastace and DNM stuff and pick a price, you'd want a 1000lb spring or the next lighter option

Cheers for that mate. I wil go the 1000lb I reckon.
Thanks for the heads up on the cable, Just assumed I could use the old one. But thats how ya get into trouble hey.
oldhack

I don't like those throttles (going off inspecting POSH throttles) ... They're not made from billet alloy , the throttle cam is die cast with a soft extruded alloy tube pushed into it and then crimped over ... and the throttle stop is a screw that's held in by only a few threads ...

Others may find 'em to be OK though ...

Latest posts

Back