YX 140. died in the a55. Kickstarter and no compression

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

creole

Reaction score
Went over water and bike stalled on me.
Fair enough. So i let it dry a bit and off i go.
20 mins later it stalls again , so i kickstart it, but then i notice the kickstart gears were binding and that not very good feeling of metal shaving itself.

Yes i know how to kickstart a bike. But this time it just felt sh1t kicking it.

Got it started, went up the hillclimb ,and 20 meters up the bike stalls on me as i am on 3/4 throttle in 2nd gear . Bike makes a small *PAFFFF* noise and stall.

I go to kickstart it,but this time theres no compression, the kickstarter just goes down and then goes back up.

The gears all work, tried to roll start it but i didnt go down far as it made a whiny noise.

prior to all this , my motor was making a clangy noise, like a loose bashplate. I took no real notice, as i have lots of loose things. The clangy noise was strong from the clutch side of the motor.

I got home and cracked the case open. Metal shavings everywhere. The kickstart gears seemed loose, as theres about 3mm play up and down, and when i manualy go
to crank it, it binds and gets stuck.

I noticed the clutch basket has a bit of play also, is this normal? i can move it in and out about 2mm, i retightened the clutch, but i still get no compression when i kickstart it, and it also binds now and then. When i manually turn the stator, i feel and hear compression, just not with kickstarting it.
I havent taken the clutch out to get to the kickstart gears, cos i need an impact driver for teh slinger.
so yeah. ... fuk that. headache.

Have i fudged my kickstart gears?
Would the water caused my motor to stall those 3 times?
What was the clangy noise?

I have also checked valve clearances and are ok.
motor is also about 10 hourse use.

If i need new kickstart gears, i assume the LIFAN 140 ($55 from dhz) wont suit my YX??
where do i get yx kickstart gear set?

Last edited:
how deep was the water you went thru?
what colour was the oil when you took the side cover off?

the play your describing (in and out play) is normal..

when using the kick starter with the case cover off does the crank gear turn or the oil slinger...

also what type of oil slinger is on it?
is it loose?
reason i ask is that the castle nut may have come loose causing the crank gear to flip out.
some came as a 2 piece item(case steel and alloy) they are know for separating and breaking in half.

also the gear above the kick start gear is usually the one that breaks, look behind the gear and see if there is a crack in the case...(im assuming this is the gear your referring to with 3mm up/down play)

if it isnt cracked then you need to inspect all the gears on the clutch side of the engine..specially the one behind the clutch

might be worth a couple of pics or youtube vid showing us the motions of kicking it with the cover off

did you check the kickstart gears for missing teeth? there's 3 gears mine broke the small one under the clutch, look under the clutch with a torch and rotate it.

I think JustRide on ebay sell the YX gears but the DHZ lifan ones won't fit. east50's sell them too.

To get the slinger off without an impact driver put a can of wd40 in the freezer for 30mins, spray it on the screw for 5 seconds and let it sit for another 5 seconds then the screws will come out easily

how deep was the water you went thru?
what colour was the oil when you took the side cover off?

the play your describing (in and out play) is normal..

when using the kick starter with the case cover off does the crank gear turn or the oil slinger...

also what type of oil slinger is on it?
is it loose?
reason i ask is that the castle nut may have come loose causing the crank gear to flip out.
some came as a 2 piece item(case steel and alloy) they are know for separating and breaking in half.

also the gear above the kick start gear is usually the one that breaks, look behind the gear and see if there is a crack in the case...(im assuming this is the gear your referring to with 3mm up/down play)

if it isnt cracked then you need to inspect all the gears on the clutch side of the engine..specially the one behind the clutch

might be worth a couple of pics or youtube vid showing us the motions of kicking it with the cover off

ill pull it appart later this week.
Oil was not milky. just normal color as i changed the oil the night before. It was just shimmery like that dude from twilight! haha.

slinger is a lightened one (cone kinda shape).

did you check the kickstart gears for missing teeth? there's 3 gears mine broke the small one under the clutch, look under the clutch with a torch and rotate it.

I think JustRide on ebay sell the YX gears but the DHZ lifan ones won't fit. east50's sell them too.

To get the slinger off without an impact driver put a can of wd40 in the freezer for 30mins, spray it on the screw for 5 seconds and let it sit for another 5 seconds then the screws will come out easily

ah yeah i saw your vid. Did those missing teath cause the 'no compression' feel.
as in the kickstart gears did not mesh and did not turn the motor?
Cos i think ive done similar, as it doesnt rotate, and whe it does, it just binds.

the kickstarter just didn't engage the engine, it would go straight down and spring back up.

Engine Spares down the bottom of the page they have YX kicker gears.

heres a pic of mine vs http://www.miniriders.com.au/mini-tutorials-how-s/24595-tear-down-bike-parts-completly-6.html

as u can see, my kickstart gear rod thingy is fakked.

so do i have to take the head off to get this thing back in??

is there a certain way to put it back? because previous , it was not seated, and when u kickstarted it, it would jam up the gears.

i probably cracked the case on the inside of where this kick gear sits , thats probably why it was so loose.

Attachments

• split2.jpg
    split2.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
its hard to tell, any chance of a closeup pic in high res?

did you pull it out that far or is that how it was after you removed the little plate

i only pulled it out that far, because the 1st time it did it, i managed to get the thing seated %100 with no freeplay at all. It then came off as i was positioning the clutch...

so i did the same but its now stuck .

Found the problems.

I KNEW this batch of YX was bodgy to begin with, cos as soon as i started this fukken thing, it pissed out oil at the oil cooler head side, the cover which has the bolt that holds the cam cover on.

So kickstart problem was due to the kickstart spring binding on itself, the spring is completely fukked and doesnt return properly.

And the clangy noise was the cam sprocket bolts made their way loose, spun loose, causing the cam sproket to go all over the place, and shave into the cam cover as well.

So timing was off heaps, but the valves and piston are still in good nick.

Ima ring Jack from JR racing and tell him this is a sh1t motor from day1. He knew this motor had issues too from the oil pissing out issue which i had to alter by moving that oil cooler cover around.

My Ducar 125 lasted longer than this YX lol.

I guess from a maintenance point of view, is that the cam sprocket bolts isnt a normal maintenance issue.?

Attachments

• camFTL.jpg
    camFTL.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 26
  • kickFTL.jpg
    kickFTL.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
ouch, thats not good...
did the engine come in the bike or is it an upgrade engine.
is this one of the latest zongshen 140's?
im pretty sure my cam gear is different to that 1 but ill check tomorow.

and no cam gear bolts coming loose isnt a maintenance issue.

i would definitively take the engine down and show them.. how old is it?
hopefully they can supply the parts for free or at a super cheap price...

oh and what do you mean by moving the oil cooler cover around..

The oil cooler cover im talkin bout , is where the two oil cooler lines bolt onto the head. Its a plate with two allen bolts, and one other bolt that holds the cam cover on. The plate leaked oil from day one, i had to re adjust the gasket, and it looked like the oil galeries didnt line up. hard to explain. But other YX140 of that batch had a similar design which was wierd..

its a 1p56fmj YX140 with 'upgraded cam and valvesprings' as advertised by JR racing on ebay.
its always been a dicky motor.

The motor is no more than 10 hours use.

BRAND NEW 14HP YX140CC RACING ENGINE OIL COOLED 1P56FMJ - eBay Other Makes, Bike Parts, Motorcycle Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 27-Oct-09 00:40:49 AEDST)

Just Ride are a pretty good ebayer, I've never had to return anything to them but I think they'll sort it out, I know DHZ would sort it no worries. But this is entirely their fault so they should at least supply the parts needed to fix it. cam sprocket, cam cover, kickstart shaft, gasket kit and possibly the whole cam. but I'd be trying to get the whole engine replaced, all those metal shaving floating around in there is no good at all

Last edited:
yeah there are bits of metal in the oil filter mesh that are hard to remove, not to mention one of the cam sproket bolts is snapped in half, the other half of that bolt is MIA somewhere in the motor! hahaah probably swimming with the rest of the glitter. To make it worse a magnet wont pick up most of that aluminium alloy either ! eeeep

10hrs old, then id say its completely up to JR to fix or replace...
id push for replacement engine..
but if he gives all the parts to repair then at least you'll be able to strip and rebuild the engine and then have the satisfaction of knowing the engine is correct..(not that you should need to)

and strange about the oil cooler cover...usually they can only go in one way.

yeah we sorted out spares. All good. Comparing the kick start spring to the new one, i dont know what happened or how, but the main return spring is actually two springs bound together. they somehow seperated from each other.. one made its way around the spring seat.

True ballin i am. *shoots . ... ...airballs*

hope it all works out for you.....
you know whats strange is i was at my friends shop today and a bloke walked thru the door with the cam gear cover and a snapped bolt...same model engine as yours....snapped all by it own....over tightened obviously from factory..
but no destruction like yours did...

must of been a bad batch of engines...

the cam gear cover and a snapped bolt...same model engine as yours....snapped all by it own....over tightened obviously from factory..
but no destruction like yours did...

that's exactly what happened to my yx140

about 4 trail rides old, was in the middle of the bush and looked down to see oil spewing all over the ground, was a mission to get back to the ute

Latest posts

Back