yx 140 gearbox help

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinxy

Reaction score
hey guys need a bit of help with my yx140 gearbox bear with me im new to pit bikes but have a good mechanical background so im sure ill get there with your expertise

rite the bike was riding verywell when i bought it but was due a clutch change the only thing i ever noticed was that when coming from low revs in second it felt like it had a hard kick before really powering on

i then changed the clutch and this felt as it was then 2 days ago i was using it and i began getting a terrible noise and the thump before giving me power was alot worse

and after a while it would just disingage and bite as and when it chose so i stoped riding the bike and pulled it apart as i though it must be gearbox related as it only happens in second gear 1st 3rd and 4th are fine even giving them proper stick .

i have no cracks in my casings the gears look mint as do the dogs the only thing i could find was a bit of wear on the selector forks im not 100% this is the problem .

you guys no these bike so hopefull you can tell me were to look or what to look for to solve this as its doin my head in :action-smiley-003:

heres a few pics of my selector
P100530_120249.jpg

P100530_120334.jpg

P100530_120317.jpg

P100530_120300.jpg

cheers guys J

Last edited:
hmm, easiest way out of this is to replace everything in the gearbox..
iv seen engines that have no real damage at all but yet still miss gears.. tried all sorts of things to correct it (shims, new forks and so on) all with no joy.

changed the entire box with shift drum and selector forks and all was good..

my guess is just the slightest bit of wear on the fork and gear dog causes this problem as then the gear doesnt mesh properly..

mate i had the same problemo i had the change the modulator thats about it mate went like a dream after

sorry boss im being a noob but whats a modulator :iamwithstupid:

cheers so far guys its nice to have some real advise

j

your gearbox is rooted. order a new whole set including a shift fork(which is now bent by the looks of the marks) and then she will be sweet.

yep for the price of a complete gearbox its not worth the drama's of stabbing in the dark and reassembling it just to find out its fooked still

im from the uk and can find a decent priced full gearbox what sortof $ you guys pay

my yx140 was at least 2yrs old before i removed it for a bigger engine. never had a drama with the gearbox..
oil changes were done at least once a month or every 10-15hrs of riding..

and yeah that kit should get you going..

one other thing that hasnt been mentioned yet is a bent gearshit shaft can cause some dram's too..just check it out while you have it apart

ok mate ill have a good look around is there any guide to put a gearbox back togearter as i mite forget somthing haha cheers james

Latest posts

Back