YX 160CC CDI HELP

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

needapitty

Reaction score
hey guys just got my self a new yx 160 on the cheap its the one with the oil viewing window its not the ho im not sure what gen it is tho ?

so what i would like to no is whats the best cdi to run on it as it didnt come with a cdi box if someone could link me to somthing decent that would be great

ive looked at a few but am unsure what to run as this is the first klx style engine ive owned

cheers..

here is a pic of it...

Attachments

• yx 160cc.jpg
    yx 160cc.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 13
  • yx 160.jpg
    yx 160.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 13
Send a pic of the wires coming out of the magneto cover mate, that will determine what way you go.

IF IT AIN'T BROKE, BREAK IT :)

haha joshy, welcome to the dark side my friend:angry-smiley-013:

haha yeah mick the small block wasnt cutting it and i got it cheap so i opted to got to the darkside:lsvader:

these are the best pics i could take with my phone mate

Attachments

• P211012_20.54.jpg
    P211012_20.54.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 19
  • P211012_20.52.jpg
    P211012_20.52.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 10
welcome young skywalker, even got it on the kitchen bench, hahahah. Mate that harness runs the same as the 140. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/IGNITION...orcycle_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35b445552f
as for the blue high performance cdi's they can be highly unreliable, but is worth a try, on my 160 race bike i just run the stocko cdi mentioned, they are reliable and i have only ever seen a handful fail, maybe run a cr7hix iridium plug, http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Spark-Pl...orcycle_Parts_Accessories&hash=item564d02fd60. As for high performance or other cdis for that magneto im not to sure mate, reliability is a big thing and i stick with what works, hope this helps mate, oh yeah the engine looks sik, its not a HO but it is a YX160 and is a brilliant candidate for all the V2 and big bore gear that the other boys go with, so it is still the ducks guts of 160 stocko motors lad, now its a pit pro xr 160 and a pitvan lol.

sweet thanks for the help mick

yeah the missus didnt like the yx on the kitchen bench lol

and yeh ill have to change that to pit pro xr 160 but sadly the pitvan was sold aweek ago:mad: but got my self a hiace :action-smiley-033:

Nooooo, not the toaster, but a hiace isnt as dangerous which is comforting, but less fun trying to squeeze a tonne out of it haha

haha yeah mate i dont have to grip the wheel as much when i see a semi coming the other way in the hiace or have to hold it pinned @4500rpm to do a tonne but the little toaster was a heap of fun to own and i sure did make the most of owning it

ive got some good burnout vids of the little girl showing all her might to for memories

i love burnouts, they uploaded ??

Joshy don't make it sound like you can't live without a woman lol. Just say I will get someone I know to help, don't specify gender, hahaha all good bro. I want vids but don't forget.

hey mick ive been looking at this cdi its says its for yx 140,150,160 what do you think mate
thats an inner rotor cdi..
most of the older yx's came with an irk standard...

as for wat cdi to run, use a standard black one for now then upgrade to a lifan ork..
all aftermarket standard type cdi's offer way too much advance and kick back...

Sean is spot on mate, def just run the stocko CDI for now, have heard of boys on here trialling the Lifan 150 ork with adjustable timing, not sure of there successes but it is achievable

Latest posts

Back