YX160 vs z160HO

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aero165

Reaction score
Hey Gang,

I'm considering a custom build now and I'm after some opinions.

YX160 vs z160HO

I had planned to buy a bike with the YX in it until I noticed that the z160 has the oil filter built into the engine. In my head having the filter inside the case makes sense to me as it's one less thing to tear off in a crash.

Are the any major pros or cons for either engine or are they basically the same thing?

Hey mate, first thing, we are a crew...not a gang :D lol

Secondly, the Z160HO is prob the most popular engine around atm. Not real up on info about the YX but the mod and aftermarket parts scene for the Zonger is endless.

My vote would be the Z

I stock form the 160HO, if you are planning on modding it for performance, it then depends what you want as to which engine would better suit your needs as they have a different bore and stroke and that changes the power and torque charictersitcs. It may be only small amounts but it could mean the difference between winning and losing a race.

i think from memory without bothering to do the calculations, the HO is around 154cc and the YX is 161cc.
also the HO i think has a 6 plate clutch as standard.

id choose the yx160, bit more torque which would be good more motard.
also the gearing is slightly different and probably an advantage

For motard a Z160HO won the national title but I'd argue that the YX160 had the better top end speed down the straight. YX's were second and third.

Think the Z160HO that won had a yx crank...

the yx 150 does not go to bad here is a lil vid of mine

and that has low compression because i need to adjust the valves (also sorry about the quality)

Last edited by a moderator:
i have a 150 nitrous and the oil filter was built in to the engine.... also i dont have much to compare it to as iim new to dirt and dirtbikes but the yx has a lot of torque.. im 95 kilo and it will wheel stand in second and third with out trying..

i have a 150 nitrous and the oil filter was built in to the engine.... also i dont have much to compare it to as iim new to dirt and dirtbikes but the yx has a lot of torque.. im 95 kilo and it will wheel stand in second and third with out trying..

It'll wheel stand because it has a tiny wheelbase :p

The YX150 with built in filter wouldn't be a good option as it runs a CRF head which makes upgrades a lot more difficult (ie, no V2 head)...

then why dont my 125 wheel stand then:cheeky-smiley-031:

and i didnt know that about the head... learning something new everyday

Lean back more ;)

Yeah, XY do make a KLX headed 150, but Atomik only sell the CRF style one. I like the in engine filter and a few other things (like the stroke of the engine), but I'm really learning how much more difficult these buggers are to get performance engine parts for... I think Akunar can do big valve heads and bore kits though, just don't know of anyone having got one so I don't know how the perform... Might be the first to find out ;)

Lean back more ;)

Yeah, XY do make a KLX headed 150, but Atomik only sell the CRF style one. I like the in engine filter and a few other things (like the stroke of the engine), but I'm really learning how much more difficult these buggers are to get performance engine parts for... I think Akunar can do big valve heads and bore kits though, just don't know of anyone having got one so I don't know how the perform... Might be the first to find out ;)

:LAME:... nah jokes.. i will just have t clutch it up better next time i go out..hahahaha

see always learning

Lean back more ;)

plenty of people have tried them.. they work good for the price..

59 or 60mm bore and a 30/26 valve ported head with big cam and springs would be an awesome combo, but that bore kit will push you over 160cc
60mm kit gives 171cc, 59 is around the 165cc
58mm bore kit will give you 159.84cc's

one thing tho with the akunar heads is he uses the screw in type rocker cover heads.. originally for a 125 engine so it will have some bs comp unless he machines the chamber and sinks the valves a little..

next best thing is to buy the valves, springs and cam from akunar and take it to a local machine shop and have them port, re-insert and install the larger valves..

engine would last as long as you let i last..
100-125usd for bore kits and heads start from 175usd from akunar.. plus postage of course.

doing the head yourself would depend on what the machine shop charges you. but all the parts from akunar isnt all that expensive.. jump on his site and add the items to cart to see the prices

sorry to get this a little of topic,
but does anyone know what head came out on the motovert pro yx 150?
im looking at getting the v2 and doing some work to the engine and just wanted to double check.
thanks

Latest posts

Back