Z-50 new comer, want some ideas/feedback. Anything helps!

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anthonyburris

Reaction score
Z-50 new comer, want some ideas/feedback. Anything helps!

Hello everyone, recently got real interested in the z-50's and am going to get one real soon, hopefully, heres just a few general questions i got, hopefully some of you can help me out. also Im just looking for people opinions on how their builds went, what to avoid, and how to do it right, so no wrong answers really!

So the two bikes I found in my area are a complete 1989 Z50 for $600 (running and "works great") and a 1990 Z50 which is basically just the frame, gas tank, and wheels, no engine whatsoever, for around $150. I plan on putting after market suspension front and back, and a lifan motor into the bike. guess my question is, would it be easier to just go the route of buying the cheaper bike just the bare minimals and piecing together what i want on the thing, or to get the full bike and slowly throw on parts that I want.

I am fairly mechanically inclined but just wondering if anyone out there has built these things from the ground up, not sure If I am going to realize there are a lot of components I will need that I would have trouble finding, or if its a fairly simple operation to just buy engine, suspension and what not off line and slap it all together. Again looking for any information/opinions, and woul really appreciate the help. Aloha, Tony

Welcome dude. This is outta my league, but once user motodevo gets onto it he will fill your head with all wonderful ideas and info about these ripper little minis. Damn wish i had a zedda.

you will be able to build up the bike for sure, alot of parts are re-manufactured but they dont always come cheap.. same with any road reg mini's

Welcome dude. This is outta my league, but once user motodevo gets onto it he will fill your head with all wonderful ideas and info about these ripper little minis. Damn wish i had a zedda.

I am so considering getting one for my l's but putting a 184 tb head in it...

If it were me I'd buy both, they're both bargains, pick out all the best bits and then sell off whats left if you want to for a tidy profit or build up a stocka and a custom. Like you already said, its all the little bits and pieces you dont think about that end up costing a fortune so the more complete a bike you start with the better. Theres a huge market for aftermarket zed parts, you just have to know where to look. Webike is a good place to look for parts and you should be able to find every part you could want there and they have free shipping on orders over about $400 or so, Jparts is really good to deal with for jap parts too. Have a look at eichkay's threads, he has some awesome rides, really top notch bikes built with quality parts. Post up some pics if you do get one. One warning though, you cant stop at just one, I just bought a z50r roller the other night, once I put all my bikes together there will be 8 zeds and a ct70

If it were me I'd buy both, they're both bargains, pick out all the best bits and then sell off whats left if you want to for a tidy profit or build up a stocka and a custom. Like you already said, its all the little bits and pieces you dont think about that end up costing a fortune so the more complete a bike you start with the better. Theres a huge market for aftermarket zed parts, you just have to know where to look. Webike is a good place to look for parts and you should be able to find every part you could want there and they have free shipping on orders over about $400 or so, Jparts is really good to deal with for jap parts too. Have a look at eichkay's threads, he has some awesome rides, really top notch bikes built with quality parts. Post up some pics if you do get one. One warning though, you cant stop at just one, I just bought a z50r roller the other night, once I put all my bikes together there will be 8 zeds and a ct70

Your a zedda freak bro, im loving it. Any pics?

It aint pretty, just a frame, wheels and an unusable tank but I did a quick mock up last night with some china forks, a xr75 swingarm (loooonnnngggg) some xl100 shocks, j1 tank and a mr50 seat, literally just crap i had lying around,might take a pic when I get home

z50r.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
like i said it aint pretty, prob need to put on smaller shocks and push the forks up through the clamps more

Now that's the kind of information I am looking for! Thanks a bunch. I'm in Hawaii and the bikes are on two different islands so we will see if I can get my hands on both. Going to go get the one in shambles today and see if I can start piecing her together, pics to come soon. Recently just got back into bikes, this will be my 4th bike I own right now, first Z50, pretty stoked on it. Thanks again!

I loved Hawaii, north shore was great to visit and the islands in general are beautiful. :thumbup:

Here's pics of the parted out bike I got, or "bike" I should say. I may hold off on buying the other bike for now and see how much I can build up this one. Seems like most all components are there accept no engine, plastics, and some small stuff.
Guess my next question was what's the best engine if I am going third party? Am going to be riding just flat track, maybe a little trails, nothing crazy. Not really looking to go cheap, want a nice strong engine that's not gonna take a **** on me, and gears and clutch. From what I have been reading the Logan engines are good, true? Any better suggestions?? Aloha, tony.

Also I can't get any pics uploaded from my phone, what's the tricks to that?

you could start up a photobucket account, then load up your pics there.
then copy the IMG code, and paste it here into your reply

Latest posts

Back