Z150R Project

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The video of the engine getting started for the first time

https://vimeo.com/147207409

[video=vimeo;147207409]https://vimeo.com/147207409[/video]

Parts unknown

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice one.
So are you a panel beater or painter ? i see your panel/engine stand

Just one thing to watch out for with the Lifan 150's, try to kick them over from just past tdc
Push down on the kickstarter till it get's hard, then hold the pressure there until it turn's over just a little more, you'll feel it as it passes tdc, then start it from there.
If you don't you'll end up breaking teeth off the kickstart gear's, or maybe the clutch basket gear, or even worse cracking the r/h engine case
It is a common problem with them, i have 2 Lifan 150 part's engine here with big crack's around the countershaft bearing's, and another with a cracked clutch cover from the kickstart idler gear chipping a tooth and the chip fell in between the gear's so on the next kick it jammed up the gear's and push them apart forcing one through the cover.

Nice one.
So are you a panel beater or painter ? i see your panel/engine stand

Just one thing to watch out for with the Lifan 150's, try to kick them over from just past tdc
Push down on the kickstarter till it get's hard, then hold the pressure there until it turn's over just a little more, you'll feel it as it passes tdc, then start it from there.
If you don't you'll end up breaking teeth off the kickstart gear's, or maybe the clutch basket gear, or even worse cracking the r/h engine case
It is a common problem with them, i have 2 Lifan 150 part's engine here with big crack's around the countershaft bearing's, and another with a cracked clutch cover from the kickstart idler gear chipping a tooth and the chip fell in between the gear's so on the next kick it jammed up the gear's and push them apart forcing one through the cover.
Thanks champ i will start it that way from now on.
I was a panel beater and spray painter a long time ago i got out of it because of a dodgy boss and id lost interest.

Parts unknown

Some more parts arrived today.
afe039e4d1fefed9962b5544678ae093.jpg

Parts unknown

Some more new parts have arived.
Can't wait to start fitting part's.
uploadfromtaptalk1449471415914.jpg

Parts unknown

Just fitted the original foot peg assembly and rear brake on and all the blots went straight in no modification nessesary.
uploadfromtaptalk1449637848565.jpg

Parts unknown

It's good when thing's just fall into place like they should.
Engine oil level look's a bit low ?

12297d1449637819-z150r-project-uploadfromtaptalk1449637848565-jpg

Got the old chain on it just fits good thing I am getting a new one.
Mounted the coil on one of the existing brackets that is on the frame.
Mounted the cdi as well fits in behind the side cover which was a good thing.
uploadfromtaptalk1449646975169.jpguploadfromtaptalk1449647008696.jpguploadfromtaptalk1449647044928.jpg

Parts unknown

It's good when thing's just fall into place like they should.
Engine oil level look's a bit low ?
I had a read up on the lifan 150cc engine and there are a lot of people out there that say that the window on the 150cc is not accurate. I topped up the oil with around 750ml before i started it and I am going to drop the oil after running the bike for a while and give it a service.

Parts unknown

You want the oil level to be at least half way up the sight glass with the engine sitting level, around 800ml's.
I found my old Lifan 150 would smoke a little with 850ml's in it sometime's, oil level was just at the top of the sight glass

At least with the Lifan 150 you have a washable metal oil filter, clean the filter screen in the bottom front of the case too if you can.
Remove the r/h engine cover to get to the screen, directly above the oil drain plug

Last edited:
All i need to get the bike ready for a test ride is this $19.99 dollar manifold so the carburetor will clear the frame but good old Christmas and the never-ending joy that is bills have bled me dry. Dam it world let me win arrrr.
fa5bcc895e98352138619439e762b90e.jpg

Parts unknown

It has arrived not far off a test rideuploadfromtaptalk1452485781999.jpguploadfromtaptalk1452485787306.jpg

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk

It's going to be a wheelie machine i'm sure!
My old Atomik Fuse Lifan 150 w/Oko 26mm had trouble keeping the front wheel on the ground sometimes and that was about twice the wheelbase of your Z

Yeah im definitely going to have to take it easy. I reconditioned the front forks on the weekend id brought a new set off eBay but didn't check the dimensions so took the inserts out of the new one and they fit straight in to the old set. Gives me 2 inches more travel and a stiffer ride.
876c0c8fb7c16e870fdea20d239705af.jpg
77f8c6266d1cbed3d9c752617ac471ae.jpg

No trouble with the wheel clearance anymore!

I spent the afternoon putting the Z150R together. Had to chop the exhaust to make it fit put the new carburetor manifold on. I started it sounds like a 500cc not a 150cc lol. Going to test ride it tomorrow.uploadfromtaptalk1452939153165.jpguploadfromtaptalk1452939186971.jpguploadfromtaptalk1452939201515.jpguploadfromtaptalk1452939211421.jpg

Some more parts have arrived. I have went with the dirt tires for now so i can take it for a run at a mate's property plus they were cheap as from AMX.uploadfromtaptalk1453536058900.jpg

Jinx!
IMG_201601237726.jpg
Didn't happen to get them from AMX bayswater did you? Bought 2 from there a few months ago for one of the bikes, guy didn't know what they were for until i told him and convinced him to order in more. A word of warning, they sound like an air raid siren over 80kph on the road. If you want a killer looking fat dirt tyre, go for a snowhog tyre like the one next to the trailwing in my photo. Jaimie at classichonda50s(site sponsor) has a good selection of 8" tyres. Keep it up,your R is gunna be a whole lot of fun

Jinx!

Didn't happen to get them from AMX bayswater did you? Bought 2 from there a few months ago for one of the bikes, guy didn't know what they were for until i told him and convinced him to order in more. A word of warning, they sound like an air raid siren over 80kph on the road. If you want a killer looking fat dirt tyre, go for a snowhog tyre like the one next to the trailwing in my photo. Jaimie at classichonda50s(site sponsor) has a good selection of 8" tyres. Keep it up,your R is gunna be a whole lot of fun
Yeah mate got them at Bayswater had a spare 5 minutes at work so i dropped in got the protaper grips from there as well from the discount bin lol. I wasn't even looking for tires just spotted them on my way out the door. I got the old guy that works there he new what was going on. Iv had my eye on some of those big chunky tires for a while now from classic honda on the forum and a set of the race slicks he has as well i won't to have a nice set of rims to put them on there are heaps on ebay.

Latest posts

Back