z160 clutch problem

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dub_88n

Reaction score
hey guys, I hav this z160 that I hav installed on my bike, now wen I kick it over n put it in 1st with clutch lever still pulled she jumps n stalls, now I hav adjusted it so the clutch should b fully disengaged when lever squeezed...

I hav never taken off the clutch cover nor hav I ever removed the clutch, so I hav no clue what I should be looking for to solve this problem, if I need to buy a new clutch then I will and also I hav a clutch removal tool...

and details would be great, I won't be able to throw any pics up till Monday...

cheers guys

my mate had the same thing he needed more adjustment got a different lever and also where it bolts to the motor he put both nuts on the 1 side to get max adjustment after using it a few times it bed in and he started adjusting it back to a normal setting

sometimes the clutch plates stick together from sitting..
just double check the clutch cable adjustment.. should have about 2mm free play on the clutch arm on the engine.
make sure the bike is warmed up and just hold the revs up a fraction then try and bounce it into gear(do this on dirt) eventually it will free up..
another thing you can try is start the bike push it then bounce it into gear and keep riding it around while trying to free the clutch up...
also make sure you have dumped the factory oil and replaced with something decent..

yea mate iv tried all adjustments on the clutch and tried multiple levers... I'm pretty sure its an internal problem..

Last edited:
yer for some reason mine ALWAYS does this when i go to take off just after i have pulled it out of the shed and warmer her up

as sean said with give it more revs when you click it into gear

It's probably worth removing the clutch plates, cleaning them with petrol, then reinstalling, and a new gutful of oil.
Have heard a few reports of 160HO motors with clutch basket castle nuts that come undone... So if the clutch was fine, and now isn't, may well be a loose castle nut...

ok so iv started the bike and let it warm up and its still havin the same problem...

the first thing i did wen i recieved the engine was put good Motul engine oil in it, so i know for a fact its not the oil....

the next time i hav time to even look at my bike will be monday afternoon so ill hav a look around inside the clutch then.... i only kicked my bike over with the new engine in it for the first time 2days ago therefore the clutch has never been fine...

would it be worth just purchasing a new clutch anyway??

dont buy a new one mate...pm me where you live and ill try to get out and look at it with ya..

you didnt buy that tool off mongo50's did ya?

mmm ken was sellin them for 35ea on his site n i thort it would b gud to have one so i bought it....

dont buy a new one mate...pm me where you live and ill try to get out and look at it with ya..

yea i might pm you on monday n see wat we can do cheers wayne

mate there is nothing to worry about it

my bike has been doing it since day one its only when you first take off its fine after that

mate there is nothing to worry about it

my bike has been doing it since day one its only when you first take off its fine after that

pbk no offence mate and im not tryin 2 be rude or sound stuck up, but iv been riding motos now for roughly 12-13 years, i know how to ride, i know how to adjust the clutch cable and i know that sometimes you need to let the bike warm up first then try dumpin 1st....

i have tried EVERYTHING except takin off the clutch cover n seein if everything is in good shape... so therefore i know for a FACT everything is not alright as i havnt been able to take off once yet... iv tried a few cables and levers that didnt work, tried adjusting the cables with the different levers that didnt work...

im very quickly running out of ideas and other possibilities on what has gone wrong... i got this engine from RevMX (Russ) 2weeks or so ago and it hasnt moved an inch on it own accord...

as i mentioned in an earlier post im nearly 100% sure its something to do internally with the clutch... now wen i get time ill hav a look at the clutch basket like Thump*140 suggested...

but im open to any other ideas or suggestions on what to do or what could be wrong...

yeah i think your only option at this stage is to remove the clutch cover and inspect/clean all the plates and castle nut..

I remember this happening to me to , usually on first startup , then it was all good from then on.

Hi, I have possibly the exact same problem. I slipped the z160 into my sachs madass that was using the z155 clutch cable.
I called DHZ this morning and he said you need the clutch cable that is sold alongside the engine. I am going to do that, hopefully have it by Tuesday.
I am a noob at this, taking the clutch cable out of the equation: i did turn the clutch lever on the case and it did not seem to help changing into first.
Could someone explain what occurs when the pushrod connected to the lever presses against the clutch plate.

hey lads, got it workin perfect this morning... turns out a few plates were stuck together, i got the apart after bathing it all in petrol and yea worked out fine... it shutters in 3rd n 4th although i think that will go after a descent ride!!!

id like 2 say thanks for everyones input, greatly appreciated!!

Latest posts

Back