Zongonz70s' 69 Z50 cleanup

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jongonz70

Reaction score
Hi all!

i recently posted another thread about the battery for my mini. through the thread 2 questions arose. 1) introduction? and 2) rebuild thread? here is both... :)

my name is Jon and i live in southern california, United States. i am 25 years old and like to build things. this mini is my latest project and its great to know that there are others out there having fun with them like myself.

onto the rebuild... well i received this mini from my grandparents who passed away about 5 years ago. they were the original owners, and thanks to my grandfather the bike was well taken care of. i mean literally... apparently he would strip it down and clean it after every weekend of fun they had with it. he kept all his stuff in great condition like this. anyhow, i've finally decided to restore it, or at least get it running.

so first off, here is a pic of the bike before i did anything to it:

jongonz70

next i attempted to start the lil bugger but was unsuccessful, after i checked the oil and all that. i knew it probably wouldnt work since there was no key or battery with the bike. my next goal was to hotwire the thing to bypass the ignition and battery, but was sidetracked cuz i wanted to b sure the inside of the motor was ok. so i took the case off and the gears inside were flawless. as shown:

jongonz70

i replaced the case bolts and put the case back together with fresh oil. next i hotwired it and tried to start it but to no avail. i checked all the connections and determined i obtained a spark from the stator to the coil but thats where it ended so i ordered the new coil and im awaiting its arrival in the mail. since ive been waitin around i cleaned all the metal parts and began to reshine the chrome peices... they were pretty well rusted up. take a look:

jongonz70

and here they are after the rust was removed and i polished em. still one more step to go with the polish but i will post those pics later, here they are as is now:

jongonz70

jongonz70

and here is the frame with bars etc. all waxed up and cleaned. oh yea! the suspension was rebuilt and re-greased, the brakes were also cleaned up and i made it a rolling frame to test the brakes. the throttle assembly also got cleaned up. what is a good lubricant for the throttle assembly? WD-40?

jongonz70

I will continue to post the rest of my travels with this mini. thanks for lookin. any advise/ comments welcomed.

Last edited:
Gday mate just looking through your post and the pictures wernen't showing, that is for me anyway. So below ive added the piccies and if you cant get them to work try using the direct link.

Looking good buddy keep us posted

Carlton

Last edited:
Thank you Carlton. I fought with trying to get the pictures to show last night but was unsuccessful after about 2 hours! Thanks for posting them for me. And thanks for looking. More stuff will come.

-Jon

Nice looking k1, good work on the polishing, keep the pics coming

Thank you Carlton. I fought with trying to get the pictures to show last night but was unsuccessful after about 2 hours! Thanks for posting them for me. And thanks for looking. More stuff will come.

-Jon

You need to copy the 'direct link' for your photos to work properly through PB... It's in a little box on the right of the picture (just clicking it will copy the link) :)

Lucky u get to start out with a bike that looks like it has being looked after well. Are you going to register it ?
Any other plans for it ?

I havent really put any thoughts into what im going to do with the lil guy in the future. i think right now i am just tryin to ensure she runs good. i just got my new coil and attempted to start her up but to no avail. still no spark to spark plug. however i dont have my wiring harness and ignition all hooked up cuz i was trying to bypass all that due to me missing the ignition key. today i am going to a locksmith to try and have them make a new key for it or get it rekeyed. if it costs too much then im going to just buy a new ignition since they are only $30. ill keep u all posted and i will be thinking of what i can do in regards to upgrades for her. im hoping that getting all the wiring and battery back into the equation will get her to start up. we shall see.

ok! its officially cheaper to buy a new ignition switch with the keys than to have a key made. $60 to b exact. now im trying to figure out a way to just put a damn on off switch on it since im still getting no spark from the coil to plug. i have spark from stator when its touched to the muffler and the engine is kicked over but nothing when its all connected to the coil. would this be due to the whole wiring harness and the lack of the battery? ive read that sum motors need the battery attached in order for the motor to start. im desperate to get this motor started. its too clean on the inside to not start right up. if sumone knows how to put an on off switch to bypass the ignition id be happy to hear how to do it. even if this is not my problem id like to know if anyone knows how to do this cuz im trying to get rid of the key for now.

Thanks in advance!
-Jon

Ok! Yet another update! Haha. So me being pissed and determined to get the Lil guy running I wanted to check the coil to ensure that it had a good charge running through it. Now lemme start by saying, yes it's stupid of me! Now having been tasered before in police academy I knew being shocked sucked but it went away as soon as the Electricity stopped. Also knowing that if u don't kick the motor over u won't have electricity. If u think u kno where I'm goin with this ur proly thinking right. Hahahaha! I stuck my left thumb on end of the coil without the spark Plug cap on and kicked the motor over. Yup the coil is workin nicely! Good shock went up my left arm and hurt. But I'm over it now. My thought is the spark plug cap or spark plug however the plug itself is brand new. How do the caps go bad? So my next step is to run out and get a new cap and plug. That should solve my problem right. Man I hope so. I wanna get this zoomin up and down the road ASAP!

-Jon

Ok this should work I repeat SHOULD work . Take of the ignition thingo and hopefully you should have 2 wires left? You could use a switch (missael switch or whateva they are called) that would work the same as a key ..... Wouldent it?

ok tried the new spark plug/ sparkplug cap idea and still nothing!!! i had done the test by touching the plug to the motor and kicking it over but i got no spark. well i saw a small spark occasionally. nothing consistent or very strong looking. i have a brand new coil and it shocked the hell outta me yesterday but today i didnt get the result i was hoping for. im thinking i might need a new stator? anyone got sum input?

Thanks fmx! I appreciate ur help. I'm still a bit new with the terms. What is cti?

Ahhh okie. Thanks! Now the CDI is the plug adaptor that attaches to the wires which come from the stator correct? It looks like that's the part but i want to make sure. I will have to take a closer loom at the connections and see if I can sand em down to clean the connection up.

this is a points model engine right?
it wont have a CDI unit..

have you checked for spark at the points? might require someone else to kick the engine over while you look.. spark plug removed helps too..

having a read over all your comments it seems it sparks when it wants too... its not unheard of for points to have issues with earthing when ever they want.. might be due for a new set or see if you can fit a CDI model ignition on it..

one other thing too..the coil you bought.. being a points model engine the coil will be 6volts, did you make sure the new coil was also 6volts?

i hope the above info is correct as im going of my 83 model z50r, only thing that looks to be different is you have a charging circuit and a ignition..

@sean01- yes sir it is a points model motor. as for the coil that was purchased it was listed as being for k0-k2 models, my bike bein a k1 it should be a 6volt coil. i will have a looksie at the points to see if i can see a spark. or maybe ill need to buy a tune up kit or just go with a new stator to eliminate everything electrical at once. or ill see if i can throw a cdi ignition on the lil guy. thank you sean01!!!! much obliged!

Has anyone ever done this to their k1 bike? or a motor similar to the k1? if so can u tell me what u had to do?

-Jon

i can see if a chinese stator and magneto would fit on my engine.. but no doubt many members here would know..

ok i just went and checked.. the crankshaft taper is a different size so the magneto wont fit..

id imagine that someone has retro fitted something on these to convert them to CDI type ignition..

try this mob DrATV OPERATES HERE they may have some good info..

Latest posts

Back