140cc lifan kick start problem

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edi85

Reaction score
i bought a 140 Lifan YX 140cc 4ST engine 1P56FMJ with oil cooler and racing cam on ebay.once i ran in and then took it out riding in the bush. by the end of the day i couldn't kick start it it just made a clicking noise.(it wasnt turning anything in the engine but i could clutch start it. its not the teeth on the kick start lever,but something on the inside of the motor. can it be repaired and if so how do i get to the gearbox/kick start crank on it

Let me guess you kicked it like crazy to start it;) (learn to kick it properly)[SIZE=-1]

[/SIZE]
The Lifan Gear sets are $50-$90 depending where you get em!

You have to pull the whole side cover off the engine etc, Its a prick of a job:p

cool where can i get a lifan gear set from. (internet addresses/phone no#?????.)
the compression on the kick is bloody hard on it is that normal for a 140cc with a racing cam. i didnt try to kick to hard but being a plumber and drummer i quess i should be more careful of my strenght. and with kicking it properly how do ya do that ?.

Hey mate ,
Got a set of kick start gears for a lifan 140 if you want em ,
$40.00 + post ,
let me know if you want em ,
Cheers , Rick

lol same thing hapen to my liflen 140 now im just roll starten it but yer can u use 125 gears to fix it ?

Hey mate ,
Got a set of kick start gears for a lifan 140 if you want em ,
$40.00 + post ,
let me know if you want em ,
Cheers , Rick
hey slick 50 ill take that kick start gears can you send me your info just send it to my email address [email protected]. I live in canberra how much for postage...

You will have to remove the right side case cover, and your clutch basket and oil slinger and find what is broken. Do that before buying anything. You'll see it. It's not fun, but not too hard either. Cleaning the engine first makes things a lot easier. Sorry if that's stating the obvious. If you don't already have a alum slinger in your 140 engine, then put one in while it is opened up. ;)

As for prevention (next time), this has been covered a few times before. eg. http://www.miniriders.com.au/forum/tech-talk/17014-lifan-140-chewing-gears.html#post161462
Kick back can break various internal parts. It's really common on these engines. My case was cracked as a result. The Lifan kicker mechanism does not disengage on a kick back until the kicker raises to a sufficiently high position. At least you have an after market cam in, so you don't have the problems with the Lifan anti-kickback mech making it hard to feel TDC in many situations.

In summary:
* Yep "race cams" make it hard to kick over. All normal there.
* Press the kill switch in, then gently kick it over a few times to pump some oil around, and stop at top dead centre.
* Know how much throttle open your carb+engine likes. eg. Mine loves 1/4 open and held there when cranking. My choke helps as per normal.
* Engage kicker, then kick fast and firm through the full stroke, and be ready to lift your leg off the kicker after a full kicker stroke. This way you cannot get kick back on the first revolution, but if you pussy foot around, you'll get it on the next compression stroke.

Thanks numroe thats some very helpful info :) does anyone know a site that sells teh kickstart gears anyway? just in case of course

before u buy new gears!! try this..... where the clutch goes into the engine case theres a spring on a lever that moves up and down with the clutch! push it all the way down and try kick it! happened to me and wasn't fully disengaging the clutch!

thanks everyone for you info.... :) i still have not time to fix it. hopefully ill start on it tomorrow

Last edited:
Hi there, guess what, i have a 140cc lifan. And clicky clicky, kick start gears gone. Right soo......i have opened up the side of the engine, and behind the clutch there is 2 cogs on the left, the first cog attached to the kick start shaft is fine but there is one just above it to the right, this is lose and teeth missing.

Tried searching on google for new kick start gears but no such luck as most forums and sites blocked by work computer, grrr. And i have a 4 month old baby at home so dont really get time to check at home.

Anyone got any good sites or bits etc?

Yeha im checking dhz but im in UK, that might be a problem for shipping, lol.

Eh? whats all this lingo.lol. Ive asked if they will ship to UK no reply as of yet. Cant find many places that will sell kick start gears for 140cc.

Also guys can anyone give me some detailed instructions on how to take off clutch and all cogs etc to replace kick start gears? Ive never done it before, looks simple enough, bit of a pig of a job but simple ish.........lol.

Ok also could someone tell me how the cogs are attached to kick start etc? I will explain why im asking,lol. My 140 cog has a couple of teeth missing but the cog also moves slighty which makes me think that its on a shaft of some sort and is broken? I aint sure. Any thoughts on this?

Latest posts

Back