2 stroke advice.

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YamahaRacing125

Reaction score
Hey, im thinking about making the transition from my first bike a pit bike, to a 2 stroke 250 preferably CR250.. i am 6ft and 70kgs.. what are the main things to look out for.. and people say that the powerband will flip me.. do you think i could handle the powerband coming from a pitbike?

thanks.

in a nut shell i don't think you could handle powerband coming of a pitty, best to get a 125 would be better of then a 250.

Yeah thats true...coming off a ChinaPitbike onto a 250 Two Banger such as a CR250 would be a massive jump and would frighten you at times!haha

I would recommend you on getting a 125 before stepping up to a 250...if you want to Improve your Skills on a MXBike the 125 Two Strokes are the Pick of the Bunch!!!

125s are to slow. Just get the 250 2 stroke. It wont take longer then a few hours to get used to the power

125s are to slow. Just get the 250 2 stroke. It wont take longer then a few hours to get used to the power

WORD .... You are too big/heavy for a 125 in the long run, you'll rev the rings outta it .

Go the 250 they only go as fast a ya turn it on ... you'll get used to it but it'll always let ya know ya alive :cool:

Back straight at the patch :D

cuz2.jpg

Hey mate,
I think its a big step from a 125 pitty to a full size CR250R, but they are mad bikes i must admit. I had a look at a few and my friend has one, we raced it against my other mates 2008 Suzuki 450 and the CR flew past it. Like going to a bigger bike its not gonna be that bad cause it will take your height and weight alot better than the pit bike, but its just a matter of getting used to it. Youll be able to go bigger and better and you will be sitting on a beast, but if your thinging of upgrading its def. the way to go. :p

just go with tyhe 250 2 stoke
if you flip it you flip it
you gain more experiance from your mistakes then if you dont stack

Why not a crf250 or yz250f? A little more ballsy then 125 without the "flip out" powerband.

2 strokes are only gonna get more obsolete as there years go wheres as 4 strokes are just gonna keep on keeping on.

Plus they are more reliable and dont require rebuilds as often. that be said rebuilds are more expensive.

However back to your question. The power difference will be quite noticeable however if you ride within your limits theres no reason why you wont pick it up pretty quick. 125's really arent quick enough once you get used to the power...

how old are you???? what is your current bike??? 125cc, 140cc, 150cc, ect.

im 15 and around exact same height and weight, i've ridden my mates 250(i've been riding big bikes for about a year now) and for me its fine but i was and still riding my 200cc, riding the 250 is fun and it isn't as much as a bigger step for me.

if you want it for racing i would surrgest a 4banger because a 2dinger when you pull out of a berm and put the gas on it'll loop out of the berm but the 4banger is smoother in a way which i can't describe but it is.

if you want trails/hillclimbs/jumping the 2dinger is more your thing (4bangers are exactly the same though) but are better because of the power.

I think what bulldog is trying to say is 2 strokes have a more aggressive power curve... like turbo cars come on boost I guess in a way so do 2 strokes....

Where as 4 strokes are more like v8's big smooth power curve..

4stoke = naturally aspirated.
2 stroke = turbocharged + fires every stroke.

in a nut shell i don't think you could handle powerband coming of a pitty, best to get a 125 would be better of then a 250.

Thats crap mate, If you got 250 2 banger you will be fine, your not gunna be no bubba Stuart overnight but the more practice you get the better you will get, don't worry about it buy your bike ride it and have fun just don't go full stick first ride, learn what the bike is capable of then work your way into it :D

Last edited:
just get the 250 and slowly get used to it. If you get a 125 you'll be like "well this is shit" and then you'll want the 250 anyway. Save yourself the time, money and stuffing around and just get what you want straight up.

Latest posts

Back