2008 Atomik Blitz 250 review

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah Ken is brilliant, he's pretty quick to post things out, and his aftersales service is second to none in minibike circles. yeah taking the tank off is another way to make carby access easier, and with the rear shock out of the way, it's easier again when it comes to folding the OKO pod filter in alongside the shock body.
Oh after my trip away on the weekend, might pay to put a locknut on the header pipes, and spring washers on the lil bolts that hold the side panels on, and the radiator shrouds... everything else seems to hold on ok.

Thanks for the heads up on the PRO XR, it is very hard to know with Atomik. It appears basically they source there bikes from all different manufacturers and have them Atomik branded.

Sorry to ask more questions is the kuda Pro the same bike as the Blitz just with different suspension setup and lights? I would want to rec register the bike in Victoria so lights are a requirement. However if the Blitz is a much better bike I would look at fitting the lights.

How do you think the Blitz would compare to the Motovert 250XTR which was the Puzey 250XTR? they look like a good unit however the best price I can get is $3600.00.

Thanks for the heads up on the PRO XR, it is very hard to know with Atomik. It appears basically they source there bikes from all different manufacturers and have them Atomik branded.

Sorry to ask more questions is the kuda Pro the same bike as the Blitz just with different suspension setup and lights? I would want to rec register the bike in Victoria so lights are a requirement. However if the Blitz is a much better bike I would look at fitting the lights.

How do you think the Blitz would compare to the Motovert 250XTR which was the Puzey 250XTR? they look like a good unit however the best price I can get is $3600.00.

Yeah Grimmy, the Kuda Pro is basically the same bike, with CRF style plastics, headlight, taillight, speedo etc, and shorter travel forks.
Given the inherit weakness of the Blitz radiators, the Kuda Pro is probably a little more bulletproof, and the Gen II loncin motor is a strong performer. I have one in a 250 quad, and cant complain about it's performance, and it seems to rev a lot harder than the stock Gen III... Not having ridden one, i cant comment on whether the Blitz is better, but it does have longer forks... that seems to be the only major technical difference, aside from the Gen III motor. It would be possible to fit lights and speedo to the Blitz, and probably end up with a better bike than the Kuda Pro, but it would really compare to the Puzey/Motovert XTR, which is a far better bike than either the Blitz or the Kuda Pro... Quality of build is really what sets them apart, but performance engine wise is about the same, as the Blitz and the XTR run the same motor...
Happy to help with any Blitz related questions mate, hopefully i can help with any queries. :)

Will the MIKUNI High Performance 26mm Racing Carburetor that DHZ sell, be as good as the OKO 26mm??
Nah, the Mikuni 26mm is pretty gay, will have the same issues as the stock carby, and wont offer any where near the performance increase of the OKO 26mm.
Done the Exhaust mod this afternoon.. Sounds alot better and a little more mid range kick but a flat spot down low.. gona try cutting the air box up tomorrow and c if it helps any.
yeah the exhaust mod is a good one, it allows the motor to breathe a lot better particularly up top, as the stock muffler is just too much pipe for the stock motor, which really isnt all that up there as far as technology goes...
The air box mod may not help with the flat spot, as opening up the air box will lean out the jetting, particularly through the mid-range... try moving the clip on the needle jet, that might help with the flat spot... The OKO however will probably get rid of any jetting issues related to the stock carby altogether... :)

It would be possible to fit lights and speedo to the Blitz, and probably end up with a better bike than the Kuda Pro, but it would really compare to the Puzey/Motovert XTR, which is a far better bike than either the Blitz or the Kuda Pro... Quality of build is really what sets them apart, but performance engine wise is about the same, as the Blitz and the XTR run the same motor...
Happy to help with any Blitz related questions mate, hopefully i can help with any queries. :)

Thanks once again, I am thinking about grabbing one of these.
So your review is great I see it as a bit of a project, unpack it pull it apart assemble it correctly do the exhaust mod and carb mod. Do you think the front forks would hold up for trail riding, it will not see a MX track at all!
Just clarify one thing in your note above do you mean it would not compare to the Puzey or it would compare.

wouldn't compare to a puzey/vert not even close, but they're $4k why the hell would anyone buy that when they can get an early to mid 2000 yz250 for $4K

wouldn't compare to a puzey/vert not even close, but they're $4k why the hell would anyone buy that when they can get an early to mid 2000 yz250 for $4K

Yes these are my exact thoughts, if a second hand one however come up at the right price then it may be a goer. Problem into the future may be parts, China pitbikes are not a problem because so many parts are interchangable however I would imagine that with these they are very specific to the model.
The thing about the blitz is the low entry cost so it's not a big problem to bin it!

I also know of a 2001 YZ 250F that I may be able to get for sub $2k, it has been out in the rain for about a year and looking pretty sad. However concerned about the cost to fix it up and what it is worth fixed up. If it needs a engine rebuild that would be rather pricey I would think.

Thanks once again, I am thinking about grabbing one of these.
So your review is great I see it as a bit of a project, unpack it pull it apart assemble it correctly do the exhaust mod and carb mod. Do you think the front forks would hold up for trail riding, it will not see a MX track at all!
Just clarify one thing in your note above do you mean it would not compare to the Puzey or it would compare.
as for the standard forks, i'm not entirely sure just what their chances of long term prosperity is... i pulled mine apart to change the oil levels, after they were "clanging" on rebound (meaning the oil levels were a bit low, and allowing the rebound action of the forks to be uncontrolled by oil damping) and after setting the oil levels to the "accepted standard" they would not rebound properly. So i took them in to be revalved by a professional suspension service, who had a crack at them, and discovered they were of the most basic design, and basically nothing can be done to improve them... what's happening is that they compress fine, damping is fine, but on rebound, they do not expand properly. they start decompressing, get to about 2/3rds extended, then stick... the last 1/3rd travel extends verrrrrry slowly... making them a fatal proposition to ride... HOWEVER, i've made an embarrassing discovery in regards to the forks, and will report back on that particular item once i've put the forks back together, to see if it's the cause of the problem...
It would good to hear from a Blitz owner other than me, who has had one for awhile, and left the standard forks alone... be good to see how the stock ones hold up over time, or if i just got some shitty ones...
And to clarify, the only way the Blitz would compare to the Puzey is in engine performance and reliability, as the engines are identical. In every other way, the Puzey *appears* to be of better quality.... I have an older model air-cooled version of the XTR (the XTR platform is at least 4 years old, and the Puzey has only updated suspension quality, bling and watercooled engine) and my older model is a very solid, well performing little bike...
Correct... depends what you want it for though... If you only want it for trailriding Grimmy, a YZ250 is NOT the bike to do it on... Unless DVDrip you meant a 250F?? which is still not a trail bike, and a WRF may be a better proposition...
Yes these are my exact thoughts, if a second hand one however come up at the right price then it may be a goer. Problem into the future may be parts, China pitbikes are not a problem because so many parts are interchangable however I would imagine that with these they are very specific to the model.
The thing about the blitz is the low entry cost so it's not a big problem to bin it!

I also know of a 2001 YZ 250F that I may be able to get for sub $2k, it has been out in the rain for about a year and looking pretty sad. However concerned about the cost to fix it up and what it is worth fixed up. If it needs a engine rebuild that would be rather pricey I would think.

The thing that sets the Blitz apart from other china 250's is going to be replacement parts. i've discovered that the majority of body parts are interchangeable with the 06-09 YZF250/450. YZF Shrouds, front guards, fork guards, rear guards, side covers, and seat all bolt straight on to the Blitz. Front Brake caliper is a direct copy of a 99 YZF brake, the master cylinder is a direct copy of the Honda XR250, so literally any pitbike brake you can buy from ebay for $20 will fit and work. The rear brake i'm not so sure on, but appears to also be a Pitbike type, and would thus be easily replaceable. The Only Model-Specific part i've found thus far, is the fuel tank..
Everything else is either interchangeable with Yamaha or Honda parts, or can be replaced entirely with different brand identical items. (Eg Suzuki RMX250 shock)There are quite a few ebay stores selling every engine part required very cheaply, the only expensive and rare items are radiators, i've seen a few New ones going for around the $250-300 mark. Cheap compared to a jap bike, but pricey for a china. Triple clamps are direct 99 YZF 400 copies, and thus the fancy alloy ones you can still buy for the yamahas, will bolt onto the Blitzes, as do the forks from the 99 YZF... Best of all, a lot of YZF400's were sold, so there are quite a few of them in wrecking yards with blown motors, but good rolling chassis.. The other advantage is, the YZF models have interchangeable parts with the 426's, the WRF's and the early 250F's... Once i pick up the 04 YZF250 front end i got on ebay, i'll report back on fitment, giving Blitz owners more "Confirmed" options... :)
I'm on the fence in regards to second hand mxers... Most people looking at Blitzes, are doing so due to price or affordability. A second hand early 00's jap 250f for around $2k, is just going to be a money trap. Most of them are due for a rebuild, and the ones in good condition, are going to be more expensive.. If they havent been rebuilt, you can expect to be forking out up to $4,500.00 to repair the whole thing...
The 01 YZF250 for sub-2k you mentioned, i wouldnt touch with a barge pole, as it will end up being a $6500 expense including purchase cost...and as you said, has been out in the rain for a couple of years... so your bearings will be shagged, the inside of the frame would have suffered condensation and be rusty on the inside of the tubes, and if the valves are open, more than likely it will have a rusty bore.... Instant hand grenade...
Think of the Blitz like this... It's basically a DHZ or Pitpro pit bike... The Puzey XTR is more like a Pitster Pro X4r.... and a jap bike, is like a CRF150...
With the Blitz, if you are realistic of the bikes quality, and the bikes capability, it's excellent bang for your buck, like the DHZ 140 Outlaw. Do a bit of work on it, and you can improve it immensely, and how fast you want to go, comes down to how much you want to spend... It wont be the same as a Jap bike, the same as modifying an Outlaw wont make it a CRF150, but it will STILL BE EXCELLENT VALUE FOR MONEY... That's the big draw card of the Blitz... yes, it's midrange china 250. Yes, spend some time and money, and performance wise it's a topend China 250... But it's still a DHZ Outlaw or Atomik Blitz if you get my drift...
They ARE a good China 250. They dont compare to a Jap 250F, But you can make them competitive against Jap TRAILBIKES, which looks aside, are their actual competition... XR's, TTR's, DRZ's and KLX's NEVER looked as good as the YZF or CRF styled Blitzes and Kuda Pro's... :)
Plus I've proved for UNDER $2k, including purchase price, you can make them quicker than a jap traillie...
Mine's now a mission from God, ha ha, and the skies the limit... Let's see how far this f***** can go... :)

Correct... depends what you want it for though... If you only want it for trailriding Grimmy, a YZ250 is NOT the bike to do it on... Unless DVDrip you meant a 250F?? which is still not a trail bike, and a WRF may be a better proposition...
I wasn't recommending the YZ, just an example of a wickid bike you can get for the same price of a puzey

Thump*140 Thanks very much for all the effort in giving well thought out responses to my questions, hopefully other are also benefiting.

I have a lot of knowledge on Honda Aircooled bikes and as a family we have a CRF50,80,100 & 150!! (well the 100 is a xr but same thing) however limited knowledge on big china bikes.

I love banging the 150 around as it has a BBR 175 kit, cam, BBR Exhaust and BBR Rev box but it is a little small and more suited for my teenage kids.
The issue is that I get to go away and ride about 6 times a year and the bike that I really would like is a WR250 however hard to justify the cost at over $10,000, and the fact is the first years loss would be more than the purchase price plus mods of the Atomik!
Pity the Atomik Kuda pro is not ADR'd as it would be great to register one (not for road use but road trail use) rec reg is ok in Victoria but you cant ride them everywhere.

My days of riding a YZ250 (2 stroke) are well past! and I have no interest on going back to motor cross thats a young mans game and on tails it would be awful to ride.

I am really interested to know what the old XTR bike is that you mentioned, are there any around?? and also you mentioned a KTM copy what is that bike??

Yeah my Blitz came stock with 305mm travel, as yours should too... the advertised 200mm of travel applies to the Kuda Pro, which is similar to the Blitz, but with lesser travel forks...

am at work now and just measured my front forks, from bottom dust seal to top of the axle mount it's 265mm, assuming i measured it right i think i got ripped. that was even with the bike lifted off the ground. im well short of the 305mm you got.

also here is the web site that i got the specs from for my earlier post about the froks only havin 200mm travel.

Blitz250M - Dirt Bike - Default Store View

I am really interested to know what the old XTR bike is that you mentioned, are there any around?? and also you mentioned a KTM copy what is that bike??
The KTM copy i'm referring to, which is basically the "Older model" Puzey XTR, or i should say, the air cooled version utilising the same body work, is the one in the pic below. I have no idea who built it, and sadly cant remember where i got it from.. I'm pretty sure it came from Slacks Creek in Q'land, but i cant remember the name of the business for the life of me. It's a great bike, but the business we dicks to deal with. A few vital bits were missing, (throttle cable, clutch cable etc) and it didnt come with the spares it was advertised with.
However, it goes great for what it is. It came with a 150cc Zongshen upright motor, which i replaced with a 250cc upright, running a direct mounted 19mm Genuine Mikuni, not a fake, Fast Ace front and rear suspension, and generally higher quality bolt on parts than you usually see on a China 250. I paid $2k for it back in 06, and have never had an issue with it. I had the suspension revalved front and rear, and the handling is now on par with a Jap bike... It's a solid little bike, and for the price i cant fault it. Sadly, i cant find any one who sells them, at least of the same build quality... It's about the same size as a DT175, so you can throw it around like it's a midsize, and is surpisingly quick. The frame itself is VERY solidly built, braced in all the right places, features an alloy box section removable subframe, runs KTM-style non-linkage rear suspension, and has so far been rock solid reliability wise, with not a single part failure... I just wish i knew where it came from, who built it, and who sells them... I'd happily buy another one... Great little fun/trailbike for playing around on, seat height makes it a great bike for the missus, and the engine and suspension performance makes it a very quick scrub bike with a quicker pilot on it..
IMG_0535.jpg

am at work now and just measured my front forks, from bottom dust seal to top of the axle mount it's 265mm, assuming i measured it right i think i got ripped. that was even with the bike lifted off the ground. im well short of the 305mm you got.

also here is the web site that i got the specs from for my earlier post about the froks only havin 200mm travel.

Blitz250M - Dirt Bike - Default Store View

Hmm... you may indeed have been stooged... or are measuring it differently to mine.. I kinda muffed my initial statement of travel, as i mentioned the YZF forks... shoulda clarified that... but i've just measured the Blitz forks, and from the base of the fork slider, to the base of the Fork seal measures 290mm... and it does use all of that travel... Bit odd that yours is a bit shorter...:confused:
and yeah, the info page from Atomik is rather misleading... it has a lot more than 200mm of fork travel, am pretty sure they typo'ed that one from the Kuda pro, and it most definately does NOT do 150kph.... standard gearing is maybe 100kph screaming it's tits off...

Well...The maiden voyage didnt quite go as planned.
Warmed her up for a few minutes and took off up the dirt road into some fire trails. 10mins in, i heard a loud clunk and felt the chain had come off. i stopped and looked to notice i had stripped the left hand side chain tensioner and the rear wheel was on a 80' Angle. Pushed it in the stinking humid heat back to the dir road and got the trailer out ther. At home i cut the threaded part of the chain tensioners off and ground them flat. got some high tensile bolts and nuts and made my own "heavy Duty" chain tensioners.
Took her back out after that and gave it a floggin' faning clutch everywher and it held up. I found the problem was that the bolt and the nut provided, dont match up in size...clever i know! I'll try get some pix up over the wknd but im goin to Oktoberfest tomorrow so no promises ;-)
BTW..Airbox holes and cut down exhaust can make a world of difference. cant wait for the new OKO 26mm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

^^^^that one is veerrrry similar. frame is identical, and the brakes look to be updated better quality items...
I think it would be a bit of a handful with 21/18'' wheels though... mine runs 19/16'', which suits the frame size perfectly... i think 21/18 would upset the balance a bit...
But yeah, that's pretty much the same bike...
Mine definately isnt a ciniworx though...
what's the asking price on that one? (didnt see a price..)

Hey thump how did you hook up the air filter on the oko 26?
After making my own throttle cable I finally have it all up and running ready for a day out tomorrow. Did you manage to get the unifilter pod in around the rear shock? There was no way in hell mine was fitting so I cut the end off the tube that used to hook up the air box and clamped in onto the carby and attched the pod to the other. I also decided to give the pod some mud protection so i sawed the end off the air box so that the tube would run into it.

Do you think thats going to be too restrictive?

All in all pretty impressed with my handy work. The throttle action is fantastic now. And no more shitty splitter block throttle cable :)

Keen to see how it performs tomorrow.

Hey thump how did you hook up the air filter on the oko 26?
After making my own throttle cable I finally have it all up and running ready for a day out tomorrow. Did you manage to get the unifilter pod in around the rear shock? There was no way in hell mine was fitting so I cut the end off the tube that used to hook up the air box and clamped in onto the carby and attched the pod to the other. I also decided to give the pod some mud protection so i sawed the end off the air box so that the tube would run into it.

Do you think thats going to be too restrictive?

All in all pretty impressed with my handy work. The throttle action is fantastic now. And no more shitty splitter block throttle cable :)

Keen to see how it performs tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back