2009 Puzey XTR 250cc - $100 bargain

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rikchick

Reaction score
Hey guys, so picked up this bargain (I hope) today......

$100 not running, tyres ok, wheels not warped, fastace forks and rear shock, CNC wheel hubs, water cooled version....

Now, from what I've been reading the 2008 was a shocker, and the 2009 model was a really good buy for the price, came standard with CNC hubs as they has issued with the 2008 steel hubs cracking.

So as our experience with bikes is limited, we are going to drop all the fluids out of it, fuel, oil etc, clean out the carby, replace the sparky and grab a new kick starter as it doesn't have one, and see if we can get it to kick over....

It it comes down to us needing to pull the engine down and what not, I think that will be beyond my skills, so we will prob pass this one off if it gets too much.

Gave it a pressure clean when we got home today and without all the cobwebs, it doesn't look too bad.... Will see how it goes tomorrow when we start trying to undo stuff.... Could be a bit tight, I dare say a heap of inox will be used!

sweet!! dont go passing it on, just get some help from the guys right here! that thing will fly when its done, im a little jelly actually lol

Bargain of the year !
$3990 recommended retail price when new.

Ok, been reading, researching and browsing for hours re this bike.

Starting to look for a kick start lever for starters...... Haha.... Oops... Anyway.... I need a kick start lever, will any 16mm one from eBay do? As long as the crank fits?

The next thing it will need is a seat..... Any ideas on cheapys that will fit this style? Will the atomics be a good fit?

It has no battery & no key for the electric start, so that will all need to be sourced later on if this thing actually will go, but in the meantime, while using the kick starter, should I just disconnect the electric start options, so as long as the kill switch is connected the bike should tick over with a kick?

I am jealous. Oh so very jealous, lol. Can't wait to see what you do with it though, have to have a race sometime ;)

I genuinely hope its an easy fix for you, you've got yourself a great bike there, like I said I'm so jealous!! If you need a hand let me know, I might be able to help out, I hope :)

cheap kick start lever, the rubbers end up falling off-
16mm Shaft Kick Start Starter Lever 150 250cc PIT PRO PIT Trail Dirt Bike Thumps | eBay
better forged kick start lever (i have the same style on my Fuse), price is ono too !
BLK Kick Start Lever FOR 200 CC 250 CC Pitpro Atomik DHZ TDR Dirt PIT Trail Bike | eBay

the ignition switch, have you taken it off yet ?
the bike should kick over and fire up with the key ignition switch disconnected at where the plug joins the loom, until you get a new ignition switch

there are a few different styles used, and a couple of different wiring set ups too, 4 wire, 5 wire, 3 wire

4 Wire Ignition KEY Barrel Switch 50cc 110cc 125cc 250cc PIT Quad Dirt Bike ATV | eBay
Ignition KEY Switch 50cc 90 110cc 125cc 150cc 250cc 300cc ATV Quad Bike Dirt PIT | eBay
Ignition KEY Start Switch 50cc 110cc 125cc 150 250 ATV Quad Bike Buggy Dirt PIT | eBay

Cheers, I literally just finished ordering that second one you posted! Thought the same thing....

I didn't get out to work on the bike today, the weather was really bad..... Windy and cold, so hopefully tomorrow I will spend some time out there on it. Thanks about the ignition switch, I thought as much :)

this is one of the best bargains, ive seen yet!
yeah looks like a 2v head! theres still power to be made :p
is that a linkage rear end i see?
looks fantastic!

I thought so when I was looking it over, but pretty much every review I've read said that was the only thing this bike was missing.... So when I get into it tomorrow, I'll post some close up pics so u guys can have a look

i agree loco, in one of the pics it looks like i can see the front of a linkage rod under the front of the swingarm

does the bottom mount of the rear shock bolt to the swingarm, or a 2 bolt linkage undernear the swinger ?

looks like this one
puzey

puzey_xtr250lc2mx.jpg

Yeah that's the same - I'm not 100% sure about where the shocky mounts onto but I'll get in and have a good look tomorrow :) squeee I'm a little excited about getting into this one :)

Latest posts

Back