2009 Puzey XTR 250cc - $100 bargain

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
,I saw that blender, but I've also seen another spec that says it's fastace.... I think mine is the spx and dnm shock though

uploadfromtaptalk1407028654082.jpg

Oh boy, took the clutch housing off today.... Looks like it all needs to be stripped back and cleaned right up....

Ok, cause I'm all new to this, I was trying to find a diagram or manual of some sort for this engine, so A. I actually know what I'm looking for if something is missing, and so B. I can actually pull it down and put it back....

This is the engine number, anyone have any idea where I can find this info?

HS170MM
*68080194*

Cheers guys

uza3ebe6.jpg

After about 1/2 can of degreaser, it doesn't look so bad without all the mud/sludge all over it, we decided to open the other side of the case and see what it looked like before making a decision about whether or not to keep going....

uploadfromtaptalk1407052940341.jpguploadfromtaptalk1407052957895.jpg

Again, after removing some of the mud or sludge or whatever it is, it doesn't look so bad underneath...

did the radiator have any water in it?'
i'm wondering if the head gasket might have gone, guess not if the stator was covered in sludge .
it must have been in the drink somewhere ?

Hey guys, well I just found one way to spend a Sunday arvo/night......

3 hours to get a subframe bolt out.... Rah, but with persistance and a lot of wd-40 it finally came out.

And we have pretty well stripped the bike down, so many weathered bolts etc.... Still can't get the carby 100% out, the throttle slide is stuck tight inside the carby.... A job for another day. I've got the engine out and ready to tear down tomorrow if I get time. I found some little metal pieces in behind the oil crank, which look like part of a casing.... Which the out clutch casing had been replaced because of a crack, so I'm hoping that's all the metal was from. But we will find out one way or another tomorrow.

I've got all the casings, chain, and bit all soaking in petrol at the moment, hopefully free them up some..... I think the chain is beyond saving, but thought may as well try and soak it and see how it comes up.

I've found a new subframe that is the same size for $30, which will save me sandblasting and repainting this one, as it's in bad condition.

Found an entire engine part listing from Puzey.. It breaks down all the components of the engine and lists all the parts and part numbers, which will be helpful for me to actually identify all the parts and make sure they are all there.

Well, I'll leave u all with a pick of the torn down bike and the engine. :)

uploadfromtaptalk1407073930647.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1407073950285.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1407073963441.jpg

did the radiator have any water in it?'
i'm wondering if the head gasket might have gone, guess not if the stator was covered in sludge .
it must have been in the drink somewhere ?
Yeah there was a tiny bit of coolant left in the radiator, but definately think it's been in the drink

So got the head off today, and it looks ok inside. Stuffed if I can get the barrel to come off though.... Geez that thing is weathered on good and well..... Any ideas?

So got the barrel off today.... It's got a big crack in it, probably the reason it was sat in the first place. So need a new barrel, new piston and rings, and new crankshaft..... So far..... It's up to about $300 in parts needed....

We are continuing to break it down to see what else is needed, a new water cooled engine is $650 plus freight..... So we are really considering that or finding another bike we can transplant the engine out of. It has been a great learning experience for us though, and I'm keen to keep breaking it down..... I don't really wanna spend $300-$400 on parts to put it all back together and find it still doesn't go for whatever reason.... So just going thru the motions of learning all the bits and how they work, and maybe finding some salvageable parts in there.

I think you'l need to add bearings to that list too. Does sound alot like the head gasket gave, hence the cracked cylinder, can you post a pic of that?

Yea, I think it would just save alot of time to just get a new engine, but I understand you've gotta save money.

$100 is another week of food imo :) 300 is another month of eating..
The satisfaction of doing it yourself is great and then if there is a problem down the track you will not have a issue replacing a part eg.. a shift fork

I think you'l need to add bearings to that list too. Does sound alot like the head gasket gave, hence the cracked cylinder, can you post a pic of that?

Oh yeah, bearings, gaskets, and essentials are in that $300.... I'm sure the tally will keep growing.... :/

I'll post up a pic, but the head gasket was surprisingly well in tact, and the head itself including all the cams, valves etc all looked really good too.... And none of the red mud stuff thru there at all.

We took the engine down to our mate who owns a motorbike repair shop today to get some help taking the barrel off, and he was surprised the head was in as good condition as it was considering what everything else looked like.

i would re-build it..
Thats a $400 dollar 250 watercooled 250 bike so far..

uploadfromtaptalk1407547549879.jpguploadfromtaptalk1407547561855.jpguploadfromtaptalk1407547581256.jpguploadfromtaptalk1407547599102.jpguploadfromtaptalk1407547608014.jpg

So here's some pics, the all the rockers and everything in the head looked pretty good, the gasket, worn but not cracked, the barrel, massive crack in it......

Latest posts

Back